View Full Version : Carb. problem

Stickman400
08-28-2011, 10:14 PM
I havent touched my carb since I jetted it for my pipe and filter, and it runs good. But lately I've been wondering if I can fix a little annoying problem with it. My throttle is really choppy at mid-high range. Like if I get on the gas to go speeding down the trail, then let off for a second and then chop it wide open again it cuts out for a second, but then picks back up. Its very annoying trying to wheelie with this going on aswell. So does anybody on here have a clue as to what it might be? Right now Im running a K&N filter with Outerwear, lid on, and a Big Gun full system with a 158 main and 42 pilot. I believe its 2 notches down from stock on the needle but I'm not for sure.

CJM
08-28-2011, 10:19 PM
Drop the main down a size, its to rich imho. Also try needle on 3rd clip.

Stickman400
08-29-2011, 11:11 AM
3rd clip from top or from stock? I had to buy a needle for an '04 400 because the '05 isn't adjustable. Also, I bought individual Kehin jets off of Dennis Kirk when I jetted it long ago, but I can't seem to find them on their website anymore. Where can I get them? Or should I just buy a Dynojet kit?

crownandmonster
08-29-2011, 11:29 AM
Jets r Us is a good place for jets. I'd leave the main alone and just try moving the needle at first. If that doesn't fix it change the main.

eprovenzano
08-29-2011, 12:26 PM
After last winters rebuild, including new crank, bearings, timing chain, timing chain tesnioner, bored to a 407, new piston and rings, we jetted the card with a 160 main, with a 42 pilot, stock needle at stock position. Still with the stock header and an HMF slip-on, air box drilled, foam filter It runs perfect, no hesitation, no run-on, she just does what you ask of her everytime.

Stickman400
08-29-2011, 01:24 PM
Well, I just checked my receipts to make sure I had the right jets listed and it seems I have a 40 pilot jet instead of a 42. Don't know if that makes a difference but there it is. Also what is the difference between Genuine Kehin jets and OEM equivelent?

@eprovenzano, what does that have to do with anything I am asking in this thread?

eprovenzano
08-29-2011, 02:04 PM
I think your jetting is off, you should be at 160 main and a 42 pilot

crownandmonster
08-29-2011, 04:24 PM
On a stock bore A 40 pilot is fine. Move your needle before you mess with any of the jets. Only buy qenuine keihin jets, the others are cheap a** and break very easily.

Stickman400
08-30-2011, 08:22 PM
Okay, I took my carb apart to move the needle and the it had 5 slots for the clip and it was on the 4th one down. So I moved it to the last slot and put it back together. I'll have to ride it tommorow though because it was pouring outside when I was doing all this and I didn't feel like getting water and mud sprayed all over me while test riding it.

SandRiper
08-30-2011, 09:56 PM
mine did pretty same thing not long ago, tryed a lot of thing and what make it run well was only to clean up every part as possible inside the carb white brake cleaner than shooting it with compressed air to make it dry and remove every trash

Maybe wont solve ur issue but could help

SandRiper
08-30-2011, 09:58 PM
with brake cleaner not white lol

CJM
08-30-2011, 10:06 PM
Thats the 4th notch, you want to move it up 1 notch to make it leaner imho.

The top of the needle is the flat part (wellt hats how I always look at it anyways).

Stickman400
08-31-2011, 09:33 AM
Well moving the needle up(the clip down) made the hiccup go away that I was talking about, but now it sputters and acts lke it's running out of gas at 1/4 throtle, right as you get on the gas. Also here is a pic of my plug that I have had in it for the last month or more, don't know if that will help diagnose but it's worth a shot. It looks a little rich too me.
http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv192/Stickman400/Quad%20Pics/IMAG0187.jpg

Stickman400
08-31-2011, 12:33 PM
Well, I moved it back up to the 3rd notch like CJM said and it seems to have fixed both problems. But now it pops and cackles alot more than it did before when I let off the gas. Is this normal? Or do I need to play with the jets now?

Stickman400
09-07-2011, 07:22 PM
Alright I wanted to bump this thread. Moving the needle fixed the intitial problem but now it still hiccups at really slow speeds and if you chop the throttle. Is this my main or pilot? Or does my a/f need messing with? This isn't a priority or anything, just wondering if I can get it perfect.

Stickman400
09-11-2011, 01:48 PM
bump

DnB_racing
09-11-2011, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by Stickman400
Alright I wanted to bump this thread. Moving the needle fixed the intitial problem but now it still hiccups at really slow speeds and if you chop the throttle. Is this my main or pilot? Or does my a/f need messing with? This isn't a priority or anything, just wondering if I can get it perfect. I would try the a/f first, if that doesnt cure it if its crackling or poping it might need a little larget pilot, but try the a/f before changing

Stickman400
09-12-2011, 12:48 PM
Alright, I have a question about that also. Where can I buy the tool to adjust it? It's the newer style that's like a D shape, not slotted. I'm assuming it's a Honda specific tool.

DnB_racing
09-12-2011, 04:32 PM
i use a short piece of plastic tubing, its around 1/8 id if i remember right, i force it on before the motor is hot and leave it there till im done adjusting, the screw turns pretty easy and it wont allow it to be over tightened

and i mark the tubing to make it easy to tell the turns