PDA

View Full Version : Am I at fault?

woodsracer144
08-28-2011, 09:17 PM
Ok so I had a 03 Rm100 and its a true 100 not a 85 with a 100 jug, it had bigger wheels. They are the same as a KX100, anyways I had one that needed a top end job, I clearly said in the add that it was low compression and needed a top end job and I have too many project at the time. The guy that got it is a OTR driver and I met him at a local truck stop and showed him the bike, I was only asking 500 for it and i have alot of stuff for it. works pipe r304 scilencer, and alot of other random bolt on stuff. any ways so when he was looking at it he kept pointing out these things that were minor flaws (scraches in plastic paint wear on the pc on the frame.) and i was like yeah dude it was rode. then some one re welded a bead on the swing arm ( its alum. ) looks close to factor, would take a close eye to notice, and he was crying about that. anyways he had it at his place a few nights and he called me up and was like " dude that cylinder is totally junk and its gonna cost me over 500 to fix it, he was trying to put his pickiness on to me and to make me feel bad, you can get a whole top end for like 250 on flea bay, he wants a "new" bike cheap. I told him theres no way if that was "New" i would have sold it for 500.

so am I at fault? or is this guy over picky? I honlestly told him everything i knew about it that was wrong with it that i knew about.

JParisi48
08-28-2011, 09:28 PM
hte guy is just too picky, i just bought a cr125 for 1400, got it to my house, went to start it again after test riding it and it blew up. i had something to complain about obviously because i had it for less than 10 min. the kid was cool and gave me 400 bucks back. but for something that he bought for so cheap i dont think you owe him a dime.

slightlybent47
08-28-2011, 10:03 PM
I wouldn’t worry about it, it’s buyer beware, always has been and always will be.
He was pointing out anything he could to see if you’d drop the price, classic bargaining technique.
He saw all the flaws because he pointed them out and yet he still bought the bike. His fault not yours.

Minndave13
08-28-2011, 10:32 PM
When you purchase something used you are taking a chance there may be something wrong. AS IS means AS IS. You told the guy there was a problem and priced accordingly. If he paid for the bike knowing that there was a problem then any problems with what he bought are his. If he wants to push the issue then maybe give him his money back and sell it to someone else. I would tell him to go take a hike though.

witech
08-28-2011, 10:32 PM
If you clearly stated in the add it needed a top end rebuild then where is there an issue?

finsteratv
08-28-2011, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by witech
If you clearly stated in the add it needed a top end rebuild then where is there an issue?
x2, if you warned him then whats to feel bad about? and man o man a top end doesnt take 500 to replace...its like selling a quad with worn tires and saying it will need new tires soon, then having someone call about a tire blowing. his fault. he needs to pound sand.

TheLane
08-29-2011, 12:14 AM
i agree, totally not your problem.

tri5ron
08-29-2011, 02:18 AM
Caveat emptor

YFZ-FoFiddy-TC
08-29-2011, 02:39 AM
Originally posted by tri5ron
Caveat emptor

Thank god for Google.

Pappy
08-29-2011, 03:37 AM
People these days seem to want new but can only afford used.....with that comes the higher probability of those buyers being nitpicky. Looks to me like you were open and honest and the guy needs to realize he had the chance to say no......now he can rebuild the top end and ride on.

woodsracer144
08-29-2011, 05:57 AM
Thank You,

I told him from the start that I am a big 250r guy and I have alot of parts from them. Then when he was telling me how much it cost and he wanted MINT! I was like dude, if I wanted to buy a MINT 88 or 89 totally OE 250r I couldn't buy on line for 2000, not saying you can't get a nice R for that amount but a totally OE R would bring 4500 if not more. look at that ATC in the create, I know that is alittle different but my point being to him was that if he wanted mint he should of just went to the store and bought new. the bike was rode, I never had any problems with it untill the top end went... and it wasn't totally siezed, It just bogged out.

DnB_racing
08-29-2011, 06:27 AM
dont lose any sleep over it!!

its not like he bought it sight unseen with just your word (like ebay)
he was able to personally inspect with his own eyes.

he saw it and was advised off all the known issues,

this is why to always personally show the machine in person, and not to someone you never even met over the web, he had every chance to check everything and talk to you in person, its his option to walk away!!

its easier to be able to get the feel if the seller is honest in person, over trying to tell if he is honest through emails. if he didnt feel you were honest then he didnt have to buy it,

if you sold on ebay and withheld info that's different, but this was person to person, you have no warranty, consider it gone and SOLD:macho

Minndave13
08-29-2011, 08:24 AM
I too have run across people wanting to get something better than what they are paying. I had a S10 pickup I put a mild 350 into, I had over $4,000 into the project and was asking $2,500 for it. Everyone calling wanted this or that, I also stated this was a project I didn't have time for anymore (one guy came and took a test drive and wanted me to spend more money and time fixing one little thing wrong-I didn't fix nor call him back), would it meet DEQ was another question- Not my problem. Everyone wanted a $10,000 headturner for $2,500. Finally a guy came looked over the truck, had a 2007 DRZ with him. He took the truck for a test drive, said he would trade and we traded. I got a good woods bike and he got the pickup. I called later and he said he fixed some minor problems and took it to the drag strip- he was doing 11's where I was in the 14's in the quarter. In the end we were both happy. All these nitpickers are doing are driving up the costs for those of us that want a good deal.