PDA

View Full Version : cutts out when you give it ANY throttle-07450er

farmer250r
08-28-2011, 06:52 PM
i have a 2007 trx450er.it started bogging down somtimes when i punched the throttle.now when i go to start the quad it will idle but if you give it Any throttle it bogs out and dies.i have 20 hours on a new topend.valves were adjusted then.its had 3 oil changes and 3 filters.im not sure what is causing the problem? any help would be cool.motor is stock.cam.piston.valves are kibblerwhite.

HondaRacing83
08-28-2011, 08:02 PM
hmm. my 400 will bog down when im almost out of gas, my 400 will die out at an idle when its cold, 400ex's are a *****, cold blooded. my guess would be jetting possibly? or maybe something with the throttle cable?

desratt
08-28-2011, 10:19 PM
I've had the main jet come loose and be laying in the float bowl. Also check the wires going into the throttle assembly.

farmer250r
08-28-2011, 10:45 PM
ive never had this probem before.20 hours,no problem.i dont think its jetting.im in the process of taking the carb off.my dad thinks its just a dirty carb.the wirings going to the throttle assembly? would that be the two wires going to the thumb throttle?

DnB_racing
08-29-2011, 03:41 AM
Originally posted by farmer250r
ive never had this probem before.20 hours,no problem.i dont think its jetting.im in the process of taking the carb off.my dad thinks its just a dirty carb.the wirings going to the throttle assembly? would that be the two wires going to the thumb throttle? ya sounds like a dirty carb, or old gas..

but yes get ride of the throttle safety before it stands you in the woods, the 2 wires going to the throttle housing can just be jumped together,

the safety wires are there to not allow the quad to run if the throttle lever is closed and carb is open,
or if your cable slack is to tight, it wont run...

its more of a nuisance then help in my opinion, and all to meet the california safety and emission standards.. extra junk!!

DnB_racing
08-29-2011, 04:10 AM
this is a pic of how the closed throttle position detection system works, or commonly called a (tors)throttle override system,

if at least one side is not going to ground the quad will not run, it completes the grond to the cdi, without this ground, no spark

notice when both open it fails,and there will be no spark, but everthing else it runs

this is more then likely not your problem,YET

the system is set up to not allow it to run above idle, with throttle lever CLOSED, meaning a broken cable, or a stuck slide.
or allow it to start with a cable thats too tight,but if it starts then your cable isnt to tight, and you are giving it gas so your cable isnt broken, or stuck.

so basically if you follow this form of troubleshooting, it has to be a dirty carb!!:o

farmer250r
08-29-2011, 09:14 PM
im gonna clean the carb tomarrow night and if its not that ill have to check with the diagram.
thanks for the help guys.
how do you delete the throttle crap all together?

DnB_racing
08-30-2011, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by farmer250r
im gonna clean the carb tomarrow night and if its not that ill have to check with the diagram.
thanks for the help guys.
how do you delete the throttle crap all together? the way I do it is overkill for what you need:D

I totally rebuild the wire harness and make race harness, but I build harnesses on the side so I have everything to do it and still be waterproof,

but all you really need to do is take the 2 black wires that go to the thumb throttle, and splice them together real good, and insulate well and tuck away.

im sure youve heard about the green wire mod also, its something you probably dont need yet, and you wont even notice the difference unless you start to highly modify the motor, ...

but when you decide you need that little extra on the top its a simple procedure also

farmer250r
08-30-2011, 09:43 PM
okay cool.thanks for all the help.and yeah wiring isnt my skill.to confusing but im working my way threw it with wiring diagrams and my pops for help.i didnt get to clean the carb today because my gf wanted to go out and do somthing before summer was over.lol.shes killing me! i want to ride so bad!
ive already done the green wire mod,and its not that noticable intill you put 18's in the rear (imo)
in my woods track on my farm you realy dont get passed 3rd,so smacking the rev-limiter once in awhile isnt to hard with 18's
but anyways im gonna clean my carb tonight and cut those 2 wires and hopefully go riding tomarrow! whyoo!

DnB_racing
08-31-2011, 03:20 AM
if youve already done the green wire mod. I have a way to totally eliminate the (tors) both carb and thumb throttle, and never have to worry about it at all..

all you need to do, is the green wire you cut for the mod from the harness, from that same connector there is a grey/red stripe wire, cut it and splice to the green from harness,

in other words cut all the wires except the black and isolate and insulate with tape ALL but the grey/red striped wire from that first connector

the wire you use is the grey/red from cdi that wire goes to the green from old green wire mod from harness.

this might help explain it better, i have other mods on this picture but the one you need is the one circled in red

Honda4life05
08-31-2011, 08:11 PM
Probably not your problem, but i just had something like this, turns out the little clip on my needle broke.

farmer250r
08-31-2011, 09:15 PM
that sounds like it.i had the same problem with my 86 trx70 not to long ago.i should have checked that.thanks

400ex4ever
09-01-2011, 09:56 AM
Another possibity, is the little spade wire to the back of the coil itself. I just went thru this. It would idle fine but when you gave it any throttle, it would cut out and not rev out.