PDA

View Full Version : Broken bolts , need help

Honda.rider5871
08-26-2011, 02:23 PM
I was just changing the oil and taking the exhaust head pipe off . When doing so i broke the long oil filter cover bolt , it broke off where the treads are all the way down in there. I looked around and this seems pretty common to happen , just wondering what the best way is to get the bolt out . The same day when trying to take the headpipes off one of the exhaust studs broke off with the nut on the end of it. Theres still a part sticking out of the head that i could grab it with a pair of vice grips and try to twist it out, but idk if that would work or not . So whats the best way to get the broken oil filter cover bolt out and the exhaust stud out ?
Any help would be appreciated

hocman123
08-26-2011, 04:05 PM
i am not really sure about the stud other then vise gribing it off if u can and if u can u can drill it out and get one size bigger stud.

but the long oil bolt i think the best way would be to take the side cover off and hope u got a little bolt stiking out of the case to vise grip but if u don't u would have to drill and tap or heilcoil the hole thats really the only way to do it

400EXRAY
08-26-2011, 05:20 PM
Find some one to weld a crappy wrench to the end of the stud, the heat and a lubricant should help loosen it up. Then just use the welded on wrench to back it out and go buy a new bolt.

Honda.rider5871
08-28-2011, 11:59 AM
Whats all in that side case when i take the side cover off ? Also whats the correct torque for those 8mm holding it on?

I dont really want to heat up the aluminum head , So im going to try and twist the exhaust stud out with a pair of vise grips

CJM
08-28-2011, 02:06 PM
Oh on that side with the oil filteris the entire clutch setup, including the pesky clutch arm which many have trouble putting back on. All that needs to be done is push that arm back all the way when you putit on (holding it) and then release it when its all on.

As for the torque 7 foot lbs, I dont evenuse a torque wrench-I hand tighten those bolts with a 1/4 drive ratcher by hand!

As for the exhaust studs, good luck. If you cant getit off dirll it out and tap it for another size. Using an ez out you will only break it off in there. Same goes for the oil filter cover bolts-take them out with anything but an ez out which may snap.

Honda.rider5871
09-01-2011, 07:21 PM
I took the clutch cover off and removed the oil filter cover bolt, But the exhaust stud still wont come out after days off applying pb blaster and trying to twist it out with vice grips. Any other ways i could get this bolt out ? I would like to have it done to go riding this sunday. The mechanic at the local dealer told me while i was picking up some parts that you cant just run it with 1 exhaust bolt because there will be an air leak , is this true?

01boneless
09-01-2011, 07:30 PM
ya you will have a air leak if you run it with one. you will either have to drill it out, ez out it (always what i do if you careful it should work) or have someone weld a pice of steel bar to it then break it loose . just some options

Honda.rider5871
09-01-2011, 07:33 PM
Ok thanks , im going to borrow a easy out kit from a buddy tommorrow and try that , if it doesnt work ill weld a nut to it and twist it out that way.

Baileygunns
09-01-2011, 07:33 PM
Bring it to a welder or a friend with a welder and tack weld a nut to what's left of the stud (through the center of the nut onto the stud). Then take a wrench and back it out. There won't be enough heat to harm the head but the heat that is created will free the stud. You won't need to let the tack weld cool all the way just let it cool so it isn't red anymore.

Baileygunns
09-01-2011, 07:36 PM
Skip the ez-out... Your chances of messing up the head by drilling crooked, slipping with the drill or breaking the ez-out are far greater then if you just tack a nut to it and spin it out.

powerbomb400
09-01-2011, 07:46 PM
The heat from the weld will shrink the stud slightly. We take outer races out like that.

Honda.rider5871
09-01-2011, 08:02 PM
Yeah I'm goin to weld the nut tommorrow and get it out . Thanks for the help guys