PDA

View Full Version : Motor Mount Bolt stuck in engine. Need some advise

k00leo
08-25-2011, 09:23 AM
Doing a restore on my 1985 honda atc 250r and i have ran into a problem. I can't get this damn engine mount bolt out.

How do you guys suggest i tackle this problem?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/k00leo/RESTORE/IMAG0975.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/k00leo/RESTORE/IMAG0976.jpg

89rwfo
08-25-2011, 09:59 AM
Try spinning the bolt with an impact and spray some wd-40 down in the case. Then put a nut on the bolt and tap it out while spinning it with an impact. You could also put a little heat on the cases around the bolt with a heat gun.

deathman53
08-26-2011, 04:03 PM
I had that happen, on a 85 atc250r also. heat up the cases where the bolt goes through and whack the end of the bolt. Spinning it while whacking it will move it also. It is a 10mm1.25 pitch if you mess up the threads of the bolt. Before any of this, use PB BLASTER PENETRATING, not water-displacement(wd) 40 and soak the area, particularly where the bolt is exposed. Try cleaning the area with brake cleaner, its probably spoog from the cylinder that built up in there and hardened.

Higgy87TRX425
08-26-2011, 11:37 PM
I agree with what the last guy said and if you still can't get it, you could always try a press. I bought one at Habor freight recently and it paid for it self the 1st couple of times I used it. A local shop could press it out for you if you don't have acess to a press. I went as far before as cutting off the end of the bolt because it was the only way I could push it through! Thats a different situation though. Good luck Higgy!

destey
08-27-2011, 08:31 AM
Let that pb blaster soak for a while (a week at least). Don't spray wd40, that won't do anything

265 sleeper
08-28-2011, 11:32 AM
Yea a impact may work but also have a chance it ripping the bolt head off brake fluid works wonders on rust and crud . Are you plan on ripping the motor apart or just want to pull the bolt out can you move the motor mounts like are they stuck as well .try putting in the sun for a couple of hours with 100 degrees a lot of people been having should help when you go to beat it out

Meat
08-28-2011, 02:12 PM
Get a bigger hammer.

k00leo
08-29-2011, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by 265 sleeper
Yea a impact may work but also have a chance it ripping the bolt head off brake fluid works wonders on rust and crud . Are you plan on ripping the motor apart or just want to pull the bolt out can you move the motor mounts like are they stuck as well .try putting in the sun for a couple of hours with 100 degrees a lot of people been having should help when you go to beat it out

Im going to completely rebuild the motor. Bearings, seals, powercoat, etc.

So i need that bolt out lol

deathman53
08-30-2011, 08:31 AM
simple, then take a mapp gas torch and heat up the area, its not gonna warp the cases, but gaskets will be shot. The bolt will come right out.

bloodswet&gears
08-30-2011, 09:01 PM
Spin it with an impact and it will heat up and break the crud loose.
May have to switch from forward to reverse on the impact.
Let the impact spin until it spins the bolt fast enough and it will heat up and smoke.
I spray carb cleaner, pb blaster or if its real bad use kroil.

Thats how i get these bolts out on cars and trucks at work.
Have someone push it out with a 1/4 extention while your spinning it.