PDA

View Full Version : tranny locked up

desratt
08-24-2011, 12:19 PM
tranny locked up by the time we loaded it got home and unloaded it. it was freeded up and drove up and down the road just fine.. any thoughts

DnB_racing
08-24-2011, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by desratt
tranny locked up by the time we loaded it got home and unloaded it. it was freeded up and drove up and down the road just fine.. any thoughts something has come loose and there is a bolt or some sort of broken gear floating around,

or one of the shift shafts has a bearing going bad... but I would check oil real good for any thing unusual, and open clutch side cover to make sure nothing is loose in there to prevent any more problems

bobbo97f150
08-24-2011, 05:05 PM
My guess is that a gear dog broke off of one of the gears. It will get lodged in between gears and not let you shift. When you moved the quad around and the tires rolled, it unlodged and allowed you to shift. You're more than likely going to have to split the cases. You'll probably find some other gears with worn dogs or teeth that will need to be replaced while you're in there.

The first picture in this thread is my guess. This guy is describing the same thing that you are. It happened to me too after two years of MX.

Broke Transmission Thread (http://www.trx450r.org/forum/93-engine/166887-tranny-tear-down-pictures.html)

desratt
08-24-2011, 08:18 PM
Update. My shifter shaft was slightly bent and the return spring wouldn't return it to the center position. I had one off a torn Down motor and seems to work now