PDA

View Full Version : YFZ450R or TRX450?

gb_proshark
08-23-2011, 12:01 PM
hi guys, obviously a lot of you will be biased but I can get either a yfz450r or a trx 450 and I would like some opinions..
Mainly on reliability issues. It will be for mx use. Either would be with aftermarket suspension so any suggestions welcome!
Cheers, George

lonnie1977
08-24-2011, 06:39 PM
I owned both an 04 TRX450R fully built and now own a 2010 YFZ450R. Both were great quads. I prefer the honda simply for the way it felt hangling wise. It felt much lighter then it was. The Honda was a little cheaper to build the motor. One less cam one less valve and what not. With simple bolt ons the YFZR makes more power. Also the YFZR is also wide enough for MX so less things you would have to buy suspension wise(Axle). But you can pick up the Hondas way cheaper then the YFZR's. My honda was super reliable from when I bought and my friends 04 YFZ was not. Both bought at the same time. Time will tell with the 2010 YFZR but mine has been great so far. Its really up to what you want. If you can try to ride each before buying.

Kovatch
08-25-2011, 10:51 AM
I've ridden some fully laid out TRXs and its hard to beat an LTR front end with pb-1s. They are NICE! Hondas are reliable and do have less in the top end to worry about replacing. They make great power: hence why Hondas were/are winning many holeshots at the ATVA nationals.

However, from a cost stand point on the YFZR, you can do the following for <$1500 and get great hp increases:

Intake - FCI or K&N
Exhaust
MSD or Vortex ignition
CP 12.5 or 13.5 piston
06-08 intake cam

That right there will have enough power to be very competitive on the B level. You can get 18.5" front LT shocks off a used YFZ and run them on stock a-arms: results are great. YFZR are 48.8" wide which isn't too bad stock.

The market "allows" the purchase of a fairly laid out 06-07 TRX for $6000. I've seen pros selling their for $7500: laid out!! You would be foolish to buy a stock TRX and upgrade it to LT and such given the amount of used laid out TRXs there are out there.

I consider switching to Honda only because how cheap it is to get a laid out TRX versus the additional costs to get full width a-arms and more motorwork done to mine.

I feel more comfortable on the Yamaha given the "T" shaped seat, but I like that style of a seat. Have you been able to get any laps in on either?

400grl
09-04-2011, 05:11 PM
IMO, between those two quads, I'd go for the YFZ450R hands down. It's already wide and low, and actually has very good suspension from the factory. Depending on your level of racing, you wouldn't even have to drop much $$ into your suspension, and you would still be very competitive. Add a pipe, a power commander, a filter, nerf bars and a stabilizer, and you have yourself a very good racer.

You'd have to drop a lot more money into the Honda to get it comparable.

tjsdaname
09-04-2011, 06:15 PM
yeah, if you want to start from scratch I would get the yamaha.

I really like the yamaha, but have to much into my honda to switch lol...

coryatver
09-04-2011, 08:50 PM
you would be crazy not to pick up a honda. you can get a almost brand new one for like 3000 and throw on whatever aftermarket suspension you want every company makes a proven setup for it. Then put on an exhuast and cam and a couple dollars in jets and you got a quad that will beat anything.

mitch250r
09-17-2011, 08:57 PM
im facing the same decision, next year ill be racing in senior and im trying to decide between the yamaha and the honda.
I like the idea of EFI, however a bike with a carby is alot cheaper to buy initially and to rebuild aswell. Both will be getting aftermarket shocks, but the yamaha is what appeals to me at the moment as it is already full width.

just my thoughts so far.

veselymr
10-19-2011, 09:32 PM
if your buying already built then whatever is cheaper...a quad is what you make it

well, except for Polaris...LOL