PDA

View Full Version : XC or MX link?

B.C.#11TRX400EX
08-22-2011, 08:11 PM
Can i use a XC or MX GT Thunder Link on a stock rear shock? if so what do i have to do to install it? and im gonna race XC, Enduro X, and some MX so what would the best link be for my 08 400ex?

Thanks

chronicsmoke
08-22-2011, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by B.C.#11TRX400EX
Can i use a XC or MX GT Thunder Link on a stock rear shock? if so what do i have to do to install it? and im gonna race XC, Enduro X, and some MX so what would the best link be for my 08 400ex?

Thanks

If you plan on running 18" tires, even occasionally, you'll need the MX link. If you try to run 18" tires with the XC link, your frame will bottom.

You CAN bolt a stock shock with a GTT link, but the different geometry will make the shock too soft. Get the shock redone at the same time to work with the link of your choice and you'll have one smooth ride.

dustin_j
08-23-2011, 08:01 AM
Chronic is correct, if you ever plan to run 18's get the mx link. The mx link with 20" rear tires actually works pretty well, the only difference is your frame is about an inch higher throughout the travel. What do you weigh? If you are 150 lbs or less, you can get by with the stock spring. However, the valving can be modified to work much better. If you weigh more than 150lbs, just get it re-sprung and revalved right away.

Nick24
08-23-2011, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by dustin_j
Chronic is correct, if you ever plan to run 18's get the mx link. The mx link with 20" rear tires actually works pretty well, the only difference is your frame is about an inch higher throughout the travel. What do you weigh? If you are 150 lbs or less, you can get by with the stock spring. However, the valving can be modified to work much better. If you weigh more than 150lbs, just get it re-sprung and revalved right away.
It sure does work great even with the 20's on mine with the mx. Looks better lowered corners way better and takes jumps much better too. :)

dustin_j
08-23-2011, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by Nick24
It sure does work great even with the 20's on mine with the mx. Looks better lowered corners way better and takes jumps much better too. :)

Glad it's working good for you Nick :)

Zeb400EX
08-23-2011, 02:59 PM
When u install you'll have to raise the airbox and space out the exhaust. Just install the link,but leave the shock off. Raise the swingarm up and you'll be able to see everything it hits.

B.C.#11TRX400EX
08-23-2011, 03:10 PM
Ok thanks guys ill probably be runnin 20" tires (Maxxis Razr's on DWT champion in a box rims), but im mostly gonna race XC so what do they both do? like copare them, and i weigh bout 140lbs

dustin_j
08-24-2011, 06:22 AM
Here's a link to follow with pictures that will help me describe the differences http://www.gtthunder.com/Suspension.html

Look at the pictures of the quad on 12" blocks and 1.5" off the ground. In the picture it has what looks to be 22" fronts and 20" rears (XC setup). Now imagine that you swap tires to 20" fronts and 18" rears (MX setup). The frame stays in the same place (on the same blocks), but the difference in tire height will lower the hubs, and thus lower the suspension. Meaning, the suspension does not travel up into the ATV as far with an mx setup since the tires are shorter. Does this make sense?

If you are only going to run XC tire setups, then you will have the most usable travel going with an XC link and appropriate front shock. Both linkages smooth out the "buck" associated with the stock link, but they also change wheel travel with respect to frame travel (what I attempted to explain in the paragraph above). Also note, for the same front A-arms, an mx tire setup would require a longer shock than an XC setup.

Let me know if this helps, or if it needs more definition. There are many articles on GT Thunder's website worth reading to help you learn and setup your quad correctly.

chronicsmoke
08-24-2011, 07:03 AM
Well put Dustin!;)

B.C.#11TRX400EX
08-24-2011, 02:50 PM
Thanks man just wat i wanted to hear but ill be using the 20" rears with 22" fronts so im probably gonna get the XC Link

dustin_j
08-24-2011, 03:01 PM
Just make sure you check subframe clearance and modify to allow for the added up travel. When you get the linkage, remove all shocks and rest your quad on a 2x4, so the frame is 1.5" off the ground. You'll see where the sprocket bolt hits the subframe; also look at your silencer clearance.

B.C.#11TRX400EX
08-24-2011, 03:12 PM
how for is it supposed to be away from the subframe

dustin_j
08-24-2011, 03:23 PM
It needs to clear. You'll see what I mean if you look for it, haha. I haven't bolted up an XC link yet, but some MX links do contact. Actually, you don't even need the link to check it. If you removed your shocks with your 20" rear tires, and placed only a 2x4 under the frame, the frame won't contact the 2x4 since the subframe hits the sprocket nut. You might be able to just pound the subframe out (away from the airbox) slightly to clear. It's not a huge modification, but it's not something you want to overlook. Your airbox might also need to be lifted to clear the swingarm. You're gaining at least 1.5" of upward wheel travel from where the stock link bottoms out. If you want, take pictures while you're trying it and we can help with ideas.

Are you getting your shock resprung and revalved?

Zeb400EX
08-24-2011, 03:39 PM
You definitely will have to raise the airbox with the xc link. I've already trashed one box. When you get the link, there's a paper in the box tell you to lift the box 1/2in. I guess my first box was only lifted 1/4in. Also, I thought the exhaust was spaced out enough but after the first ride with the link, I had small dent on the back of my hmf can.

You can run the link without a revalve/resprung shock, but I would go ahead and do it. It made my rear claim down the bucking a lot! It also lowered my rear height to 7 1/4in. It corners so good now. Like its on rails! I'm also running 20in tires.

B.C.#11TRX400EX
08-24-2011, 09:15 PM
im not gonna do it for a while but ill either get it resprung or just get a used ELKA or somethin idk yet

dustin_j
08-25-2011, 06:01 AM
Originally posted by B.C.#11TRX400EX
im not gonna do it for a while but ill either get it resprung or just get a used ELKA or somethin idk yet

It's completely your choice, but I'd recommend rebuilding your stock shock, or plan on getting the same treatment done to an Elka. If it's an Elka that's just setup for a 400ex, it will be way off when you try to use it with the XC link. Just trying to save you money and headache. I've converted (resprung and revalved) stock rears and an Elka dual rate rear to work with GTT mx links, and they both required the same amount of work.

Zakradu398
08-25-2011, 03:51 PM
I hear with a link only thing needed to upgrade is front shocks because the back is a very good shock from the factory. Not saying you don't have to revalve it just saving you money from buying elka, axis, etc..

B.C.#11TRX400EX
01-03-2012, 06:04 PM
Alright Im gonna be running 23" front tires and 20" rears, im gonna get 450r front shock and get all my shocks revalved and resprung to triple rates (eventually) but im gonna get the XC link before I get them serviced so for raising and spacing, how far for the exhaust, subframe on both sides, airbox, and anything else? Also how would I space the subframe? Beat it with a mallot? Pics of all the mod would be appreciated,

Thanks,
Blake

Stickman400
01-03-2012, 07:44 PM
Go to my "Winter Rebuild" thread and skip to page 2 and start reading. I took lots of pics and posted in there every time I ran into a problem. I was a pain in my *** to get that left frame rail to move, but it may be easier for you, who knows. Your tires and shock setup is exactly what I am using and going for, so it should be the exact same process for you.

B.C.#11TRX400EX
01-03-2012, 08:39 PM
Wow didnt think it'd be that much of a hassle geezz!!! Since u bent that subframe will the battery mount ok, and to space my exhaust (curtis sparks full) do I put spacers on both the mounts on the can? And for raising the airbox will the tabs break eventually or will i be fine? Will i have to bend both rails on the subframe? If i just get an extended swinger 1 1/4" will that be fine instead of bending and other mods?

Stickman400
01-03-2012, 09:32 PM
Haven't got it assembled yet so not sure about the battery, it should be fine. You would only need a slight spacer on the bottom mount, then a slightly bigger one on the back-top mount. Everyone uses some type of metal strapping to raise theirs, I just used those bolts temorarily, so I'll prolly end up breaking those off, buying a new box and strapping it. We'll see what happens. And you only need to bend the left rail, then flip your axle carrier to tighten your chain from the bottom back instead of top back. A longer swinger might fix the problem all together, not positive though.

B.C.#11TRX400EX
01-03-2012, 09:37 PM
Ok thanks man when i do it ill prob just buy a longer swinger haha less hassle

B.C.#11TRX400EX
01-06-2012, 10:48 PM
Well I did it I spaced the exhaust bent the subframe out and raised the airbox, had to do a little modding to get the plastic back on but i got it, it wasnt hard at all just a little tough to bend the subframe and figure out how to keep the airbox from bouncing up and down, ill post some pics in the mornin

B.C.#11TRX400EX
01-13-2012, 08:25 PM
Spacers I made to fit the the airbox

B.C.#11TRX400EX
01-13-2012, 08:26 PM
Couldn't find another way so used zip ties for now

B.C.#11TRX400EX
01-13-2012, 08:28 PM
Put washers on my exhaust to space it out dont know if its spaced enough though ill find out when I get the gtt link

B.C.#11TRX400EX
01-13-2012, 08:30 PM
Took the battery out and pryed against the bottom bar and bent it out, dont no if its enough tho either

Stickman400
01-13-2012, 08:48 PM
Front tabs on the airbox look good, what did you use? On the back tab if you can't get steel spacers like I have then you can just get a longer bolt with the same threads as the seat latch and just stick a big nut between the airbox and the frame. Exhaust looks good aswell, may need spaced out a bit more, but not for sure. I used a 3/4" spacer on mine, but your exhaust may be different. Frame rail looks surprisingly good too, I'm amazed at how you did that with so little work. I must have done it the hard way.

B.C.#11TRX400EX
01-13-2012, 09:01 PM
Thanks!!! For the front tabs I had these rubber tubes from a powermadd handguard kit so i cut one in half and used that, for the back tab im gonna get a bigger bolt and find or fab a spacer, the exhaust ill get bigger bolts and a big spacer, the frame might not be bent out enough but ill find out, im pretty sure airbox is good but dont no bout the rest