View Full Version : carb help?!

Andrew170-440ex
08-22-2011, 06:50 PM
so ive been havin some issues with my carb.. it has a procircuit pipe hotcam k and n filter...umm it had a 195 jet in it and was runnin rich..flooded out after full throttle...so i decided to put smaller jet in it..180..after installing new jet it didnt idle right..and now it wont even start..help me please?

Andrew170-440ex
08-22-2011, 06:52 PM
oohh! and 440 big bore.

tri5ron
08-23-2011, 01:57 AM
Originally posted by Andrew170-440ex
so ive been havin some issues with my carb.. it has a procircuit pipe hotcam k and n filter...umm it had a 195 jet in it and was runnin rich..flooded out after full throttle...so i decided to put smaller jet in it..180..after installing new jet it didnt idle right..and now it wont even start..help me please?

Originally posted by Andrew170-440ex
oohh! and 440 big bore.

So is it safe to assume, that with your "440 big bore"...
you are running a 11:1, or 12:1 compression ratio ?

What about the cam ?
You don't mention a aftermarket cam,... yet it's a 440 ? ? ?
(and again, I'm assuming it is a higher compression ratio).

Have you done a compression check ?

How many hours are on this build ?

Does it show any evidence of leaking oil around the jug/head?

A stock cam is not going to flow enough for a high compression 440,...
and if you are running "pump gas" on a 12:1, you'll never get it to run right.

Did the original headbolts get reused/reinstalled with the installation of this big bore kit ?
or were new bolts used ?

Do you have the GTT HD studs installed ?

Sounds to me like you may have greater issues, than just jetting/carb issues.

What fuel are you running ? 91-93 octane,... 103 race gas ?

Who installed this 440 kit ?
and was it a "ebay special, bolt on kit", (that just got installed straight out of the box) ?

Was it done by a experienced, reputable, knowledgeable mechanic ?

Was the jug and the piston MEASURED before installation?

Andrew170-440ex
08-23-2011, 05:43 AM
yea it has a stage 2 hotcam. 12:1.it has plenty of hours and was done by a motorsports company..and has a hot rod crank..it has no leaks or anything..great..just the carb is messed up and wont idle.and it starts sometimes and will run..but as soon as you let off the throttle it dies..

sorry about forgeting those parts..it has so many..lol..

chronicsmoke
08-23-2011, 08:33 AM
Whats your;

a) Elevation
b) Pilot Jet
c) Needle Clip
d) I assume this is a stock carb?

Others with similar conditions will post their specs to help you along.

Personally, I've got a 426, 11:1, Stg II cam, P&P, 3 degree key, and I'm running a stock carb, 42 Pilot, 185 Main, 3rd clip on the needle.

Was it running fine with the 195 before? you said it had quite a bit of hours on it.. Maybe your boot is loose after the air filter from when you took it apart the first time? Never hurts to check..

180 might be too lean, If I was you, I'd go to a 190 and slowly lean it back from there until it cleans up a bit. I think you jumped passed the 'sweet spot' by going directly from a #195-#180. (after you make sure the boots are tight and there's no air leak)

JMO

finsteratv
08-23-2011, 09:13 AM
it sounds to me like you just need to lean out the main and richen the pilot. a 42 should help with the whole starting issue