PDA

View Full Version : Jet Kits or just Jets?????????

300exTJjeeper
02-23-2003, 06:33 PM
Hey everybody I just order a T-4 Pipe for my 300ex. Now for jetting is it worth getting a jet kit or just buying jets 1 by 1.

Basically here is my problem.
I have a bone stock 300ex. By the end of the week I will have a T-4 Pipe, uni filter with holes in the lid.
THis is my first quad and do not know where to start on the jetting. I see alot of 300ex riders start at 150.

THe kits run about 50 bucks but the jet's only run like 4 bucks if I can get away with just buying a couple of jets , thats a good thing.

Any help would be greatful to me.
THanks in Advance

flaneledholes
02-23-2003, 06:40 PM
I advise you just buy like around 3 jets, at 4 bucks a piece, you will come out with a $12 bill instead of the $50. Plus, you dont really need the jet kit. Since you already have a filter, just use dishwashing liquid, and an old tooth brush on cleaning your filter. And, just keep buying jets till you have the jetting down(it will be much cheaper like this, you could buy 12 jets and still have money left over than buying a kit)...

roostu
02-23-2003, 07:58 PM
buying seperate jets is by far the cheapest way to go.

~Roost-U

AtvMxRider
02-23-2003, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by roostu
buying seperate jets is by far the cheapest way to go.

~Roost-U

That's the way to go. Jet kits are a waste of money.

RiPPiNiTuP7
02-23-2003, 08:08 PM
I agree, buy them seperately.

Steve-o 400EX
02-23-2003, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by flaneledholes
I advise you just buy like around 3 jets, at 4 bucks a piece, you will come out with a $12 bill instead of the $50. Plus, you dont really need the jet kit. Since you already have a filter, just use dishwashing liquid, and an old tooth brush on cleaning your filter. And, just keep buying jets till you have the jetting down(it will be much cheaper like this, you could buy 12 jets and still have money left over than buying a kit)...

I totally agree. Your never going to need all the jets they give you and you dont need the needles.

300exTJjeeper
02-23-2003, 09:20 PM
Alright then Guys thanks for helping me out and aving me some money at the same time. BUt one more thing do you guys have any starting points for me as far as what jets to get, rember it's just a starting point and I';ll go fromj there.

300exTJjeeper
02-24-2003, 12:30 AM
bump bump

Any SUggestions

buckeye400ex
02-24-2003, 07:01 AM
Buy your own jets, but use this as a guide.
http://www.dynojet.com/pdf/Q101.pdf

http://dynamic.dynojet.com/cfml/Jetkits/atvhondajets.cfm

300exTJjeeper
02-24-2003, 07:48 PM
thanks for the info I'm having trouble comming up but it's commming.

300exTJjeeper
02-24-2003, 08:25 PM
ALso another thing when I am rejetting what should I look for at the spark plug after each run. Remeber this will be my first rejetting the quad. So I'll need as much info as I need.

Or in fact if you guys have a website that you can point me too.

ALso should I replace the plug after each run too ensure a clean running and good quad.

Thanks for any information or suggestion

buckeye400ex
02-24-2003, 08:32 PM
http://www.sa750.com/plugs/plugs.htm

Some good pics to give you a visual guide for plug inspection.
Basically...
Black = too rich
white = too lean
brownish-gray = good

Also your main jet is from 1/2 or 3/4 to FULL throttle only, so to check the plug on that, run it wide open and hit the kill switch, remembering to pull in the clutch of course. Then roll to a stop and check the plug. If you idle the engine you are not getting a good check of the main jet.

Ever watch NASCAR qualifying and as soon as they come past the finish line wide open they shut em off?? They are getting a plug check!

300exTJjeeper
02-24-2003, 09:02 PM
Ahhh it is all comming to play now, that's run about Nascar.

Ounce again I can't say enough to say Thanks for all the help. Everything should be put on and ready to test ride on Friday. I'll post up some pics. and ounce again Thanks Buckeye, it's alot easier on the boards than going to a shop and talking to those people that give you the run around.

Thanks
\Buckeye