PDA

View Full Version : which quad to get

danny250
08-21-2011, 12:23 PM
new to the forum
just looking into getting a race quad for my 8 year old son. thinking about a 50cc -70cc. brand?? New or used?? looking at the DRR but would have to mod it alittle..would like to find out the stay away bikes and the best bike out there to get.. i think that would be the DRR and Apex from the reading on here..

Logan #34's Dad
08-21-2011, 01:37 PM
Well, There are a few things to consider before you buy.
1st: What are the rules and class structure for where you plan to race.
2nd: What's your budget?
3rd: Is your rider a big kid or going to be a big kid. How old is he/she?

Number 1 is the most important....

If your rider is a lil taller or bigger for his age, I'd recommend an Apex. They are a little bit bigger than a DRR. Both DRR and APEX have basically the same engine and BOTH quads have issues. IF you want to do the cvt thing, I'd highly recommend saving yourself a ton of cash and buy a used machine. Look for a newer lightly used machine that already has all the suspension and frame work done. There is about a 50% loss on these thing - unfortunately!
NOW, If your rider is under 110 pounds and will be for a while, You should look into a Cobra. They come with much better suspension and are much safer. Again, buy a quality used one.
Just my 2 cents.....
If you really want the best, buy a JB and be done with it.

coffing918
08-21-2011, 05:10 PM
got a drr 50 production for sale
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=472541

EthansDad
08-21-2011, 06:57 PM
I think logan's dad nailed it like 110% on that one for 1, 2 and 3. seriously, look at the series you want to run first, the the classes around your kids age range, and see what others are running and WINNING on. there's your clue.

for his age, likely a 70. they come quite mild, but can tune them up amazingly fast.

I bet if you listed where you where at in the world, and what you wanted to do for racing, some folks would chime and and talk about your local scene to fill in the blanks here.

being in CA as your are, im guessing WORCs series.

-EA

raidernut
08-23-2011, 04:16 PM
Will have a WORCS ready DRR 70 mod bike for sale in a couple months at season end. Has all the best of the best and ready to race. We are in California as well. This is the best way to buy instead of sinking a ton of money into building a new one.

desratt
08-24-2011, 12:22 PM
mark does this come with track side support

raidernut
08-24-2011, 03:16 PM
no im retiring! but you will get a ready to race freshly rebuilt R/T motor with tons of spare parts, and lots of wheels and tires.

desratt
08-24-2011, 03:35 PM
retireing, buddy is racing next year isn't he?? which classes?

I am greatly considering moving trent to a 70 next year.. or he could do sat 70's and sunday 50's

raidernut
08-24-2011, 03:40 PM
moving to 250 classes