PDA

View Full Version : 400ex pipes

lilholt7
08-21-2011, 09:02 AM
i have a 03 400ex with a slip on hmf bill balance. i have a friend with a 03 400ex with a full system white brothers exhaust and an 07 400ex stock exhaust. he wants to trade me exhaust because he is selling his 03 and the white brothers doesnt match up to his 07. what do you guys think of this trade? i dont want an exhaust thats much louder than my bill balance. but i would love the extra power from the full exhaust.

honda400ex2003
08-21-2011, 09:42 AM
shouldnt be any worse than your hmf is now. the white bros is tunable.

why does he say that it doesnt fit on his 07? has he tried it already? everything is pretty much exactly the same on it, there shouldnt be any fitment issues on it.

if it was me, id trade him for the full if i was you though.

steve

lilholt7
08-21-2011, 09:47 AM
he said he tried. the guy buys them broke and fixes them and sells them so i think he knows what hes talking about. and i dont think he would trade me it because its in bad condition. how much do white brothers full sysetm echaust cost anyways? ive look and cant find them for 400ex

honda400ex2003
08-21-2011, 09:54 AM
they arent made any more so to me they arent worth much. parts are getting harder to come by for wb stuff.

do as you wish, its up to you.

steve

lilholt7
08-21-2011, 09:57 AM
ill probably do it for more power but not if its so much louder that it rings my ears so bad it hurts.

HondaRacing83
08-21-2011, 12:16 PM
is it the r4 or e series?

lilholt7
08-21-2011, 09:03 PM
E seriers. I switched him tonight. Could feel big power gain right away with white bros. They both sound good so that didn't bother me. I likes the look of my hmf better but white brothers ran so much better and smoother. So it was either looks or performance and I went with performance. Still looks good tho. It was a fair trade and I love it when I'm riding I don't like it when I'm looking at it but I'll get used to the look

HondaRacing83
08-21-2011, 09:35 PM
make it a shorty and take off the badge and polish it

finsteratv
08-22-2011, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by HondaRacing83
make it a shorty and take off the badge and polish it
making it a shorty will make it louder..i wouldnt cut it..just pack it polish it and ride.

tri5ron
08-23-2011, 02:24 AM
Originally posted by lilholt7
I switched him tonight. Could feel big power gain right away with white bros. it was either looks or performance and I went with performance.
Interesting.

on a stock motor..., the full system will only give a MAXIMUM of 1.5 hp gains,....
on a properly jetted engine,...
above and beyond the STOCK exhaust.

You already had a aftermarket slip-on, yet you say you "could feel a big power gain" with the full system, over your already "not stock" exhaust.

HMmmm,.... the math just doesn't seem to add up here.

Gawd !, I love them Butt Dyno Riding Pants !

RNL
08-23-2011, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by tri5ron
Interesting.

on a stock motor..., the full system will only give a MAXIMUM of 1.5 hp gains,....
on a properly jetted engine,...
above and beyond the STOCK exhaust.

You already had a aftermarket slip-on, yet you say you "could feel a big power gain" with the full system, over your already "not stock" exhaust.

HMmmm,.... the math just doesn't seem to add up here.

Gawd !, I love them Butt Dyno Riding Pants !

Can you clarify this. Is that 1.5 hp above what a slip on would give, or virtually no difference between a slip on and full system gains ? I have seen some dynos and slip ons give some very nice torque gains!

RNL
08-23-2011, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by lilholt7
E seriers. I switched him tonight. Could feel big power gain right away with white bros. They both sound good so that didn't bother me. I likes the look of my hmf better but white brothers ran so much better and smoother. So it was either looks or performance and I went with performance. Still looks good tho. It was a fair trade and I love it when I'm riding I don't like it when I'm looking at it but I'll get used to the look

Its to bad you couldnt have done some timed 300 foot runs using the slip on, then the full system to see if there was truly any gains.

03trx400
08-23-2011, 09:31 AM
There aren't really supposed to be any gains on the 400ex from a header pipe unless you've got internal work... i've read on here that the stock header is well enough designed and some have claimed losing power from a aftermarket header with stock engine