PDA

View Full Version : ktm or 450r

bad450r08
08-20-2011, 04:09 PM
i need some help deciding if its worth it to switch to ktm. I have a 2007 450r lt axis and janssen in the front and standard axis in the rear stock motor and other little parts. The ktm has long travel pep all around with jb pro series arms and swinger so the suspension is ten times better. My problem is i dont know anyone with a ktm so i dont now the anything about them or if i should just forget about it and keep building mine.

440ex. ehhh!!
08-20-2011, 07:42 PM
i raced with a guy that has one, and last year he was having electrical problems at the start of every race. He barely ever finished a race last year because of it dieing on him or not even starting.
however, when it eventually started and finished a race, it was fast.
ive heard too many electrical problems with them for me to switch.

Josh

mx Eli
08-20-2011, 07:57 PM
I'v heard of the eletrical problems but once people send the harness out to a good company and have it stripped it work fine.

one bad thing is the ktm's are so uncommen... here at least

400exrip
08-21-2011, 04:08 PM
Yep ktm450 and the can am ds450 all have electrical problems,and to me they are way to hard to work on,most of the time you got to tear the whole bike apart just to get to something.

But like said they are really fast most people in Canada run KTM's and Can Am's and most of the time they run in pro class with stock motors.

440ex. ehhh!!
08-22-2011, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by 400exrip
But like said they are really fast most people in Canada run KTM's and Can Am's and most of the time they run in pro class with stock motors.

Oh really??? :huh
Out of 25 quads or so that ive raced with, there has been 1 ktm and 1 can am. all the rest have been yfz's, a few trx's, and a few ltr's. MOST yfz though.

As far as them running pro class with stock motors, i believe that. They are really quick

TheLane
08-22-2011, 11:47 AM
I can vouch for the motors being rediculously fast.

Even in the polaris i get holeshots like its nobodys buisness.

chronicsmoke
08-22-2011, 03:42 PM
Ive seen a few Can-ams with crooked frames, one even at the dealer.. But they are fast.

My buddy has a KTM and he's had NOTHING but problems. I always liked them, but the more I see it's down time, the less I like it. From fuses to his axle slidin all the way to one side in the carrier.. He's seen almost everything with it. But he's got a warranty that covers EVERY thing. Waiting for parts is the killer

Kovatch
08-23-2011, 09:06 AM
KTM - Kick 'til Monday or K-mart's Toy Model

KTM makes a fast motor, but everything is at least 50% more expensive. There are a few guys in my area that have KTMs. They can take top 5 positions, but our top local riders are on Hondas. If you do the motor right, a built Honda engine is extremely hard to beat, powerwise. Couple a Honda with LTR geometry and you have the best of both worlds.

I've seen inside KTMs motor on numerous occasions and it just seems they do things backwards or I can't make any sense out of why they would do it that way (seemingly there isn't a benefit). They have a 9 holder fuse box... WTF!! My YFZR has 1 and a couple relays.

BUILD YOURS!!! Upgrade to a LTR front end, bigger carb, port work, hi comp piston and you will not be upset. Assuming you bought yours new, I am always hesitant towards buying a used atv. You just never know what they are covering up...?

chronicsmoke
08-23-2011, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by Kovatch
KTM - Kick 'til Monday or K-mart's Toy Model

KTM (Keep The Mechanic):D

Pacheco_450r
08-23-2011, 06:01 PM
I have a friend that raced pro for Polaris (same ktm motor) and he always had problems with it. He actually dropped his pro contract and raced the last two races on his old 2005 trx.

motomxman450
08-23-2011, 06:34 PM
from what I've heard everyone is right. electrical, electrical, electrical
hondas can't go wrong easy to work on and really you already have the most expensive parts for the honda(suspension)
but if you insist, ride a ktm before you buy it and we did warn you!

Big Red Menace
08-23-2011, 08:16 PM
Of course when a question like this is posted in a section you're only going to get responses on that side of the coin. Also I noticed that no reponses from KTM owners. Only "so and so heard from someone..." Or former owners. I have owned both Hondas and Ktms. Also Yfzs and LTRs.

I've owned three KTMs now, A 2008 525xc that I mx raced until the sx came out in 2009. Then I got a 505sx that I still mx race at the 30+A class. I also have a 540xc that is my sand duner. I've had no electrical troubles at all with any of them and they all have various mods but the 505sx that gets the most hours and the worst beatings running 15+ mx races per year has had nothing but regular oil changes, piston changes at 25 hrs. and regular race wins.

Don't get me wrong I've had protrax 450r's etc that treated me good and I'm not knocking any one. But I can't complain about parts cost's when I can put all the Oem plastic on for less than $400 retail. Ididn't have to strip all the stock parts off of it and replace them with aftermarket just to go racing. Parts aren't expensive if you don't have to buy them twice. (once when new, then the aftermarket axle, bearing carrier, oversize bars, antivibe stem etc... that the KTM comes with.)

I love the handling, and the light weight of the Ktm. Many other Jap bikes are pigs compared to these. You don't have to be a pro or even an A rider to feel the light weight of these in the air. Everyone knows how good Honda brakes are, Honda riders come back saying they about went over the bars the first time they grabbed the stock front brakes on mine.

Honestly I think the KTM wiring harness could be better water proofed, I don't pressure wash mine and I beleive they do more harm than good to many machines. But I have stock harness' in all 3 and have dielectic grease the non water resistant connections and have had no electrical problems.

I think the KTM atv's are high quality, are a little different and maybe not for everyone. But if you are an enthusiast that will maintain his machine because it is a purpose built racer made only to be fast and not a vanilla do everything ok but nothing great quad you'll love it.

bad450r08
08-23-2011, 09:06 PM
Thanks for all the info. Im for sure sticking with the honda now

chronicsmoke
08-24-2011, 05:54 AM
Originally posted by Big Red Menace

I think the KTM atv's are high quality, are a little different and maybe not for everyone. But if you are an enthusiast that will maintain his machine because it is a purpose built racer made only to be fast and not a vanilla do everything ok but nothing great quad you'll love it.

That was a good post, nice to see someone going for KTM in the 450r forum.

I really do like the KTMs, but my only two experiences with them (both 505 SX's) had nothing but problems at the track. Even on practice days, My buddy can't come out because he's waiting on a new axle, or a new fuel tank (stripped ALL of the bolts in the tank), or fuses, or his bike to be back from a top end rebuild, or his wiring will blow fuse after fuse.

Those issues are really my only beef with KTM, I've rode the 505's and I love them, but I always finish ahead of him because mine stays running for the whole day.

Can't beat Honda's kicker design, imo. Not the most complex design, but it's reliable and easy to work on.

That's +2 big points in my book.

B.C.#11TRX400EX
08-24-2011, 03:09 PM
i would stay with Honda ive seen to many KTM axles come out or the axle will slide side to side cause its rips the threads off, You never see Hondas doing that, in my opinion the best 450's around is the Honda 450R and YFZ450R, but i still like the Hondas the best

flooringit
08-26-2011, 09:25 PM
well Ive owned both and they both have quirks, I did have a electrical problem but it was cause I had a after market bypass button on it, I bought a manual and have never had a problem sense. That said I know few guys never had a problem. Ive always liked honda bikes and have a trx for the trails it has problems starter took a dump.
SO if you want a fair comparison the honda doesnt make alot of noises my ktm does, but when its way faster who cares! I change the oil alot more in my ktm parts arent along wait if you know where to order from.the ktm likes someone tinkering with it but so does every race thing you have does,
As far as axle people just arent making sure the nut is tight and theres a aftermarket nut that tops that.

Sick0
08-29-2011, 04:24 PM
I owned ktm 505sx. Basicly I all I do is Oil changes, air filter, tighen up chain, Gas it up.. Ride the crap out of it, smoke any thing that lines up next to me, than bring it home and wash it.

After 100hrs +, 20+ mx races (Half of them wins) and alot of practice , I've had 2 issues, gas tank inserts spin( Poors design),
Seats covers wears out quick. I didn't have one DNF in 2 years.

It takes alot of Time , money and effort, 450r up to the level of a ktm.

I paid 8300otd 505sx I would have pretty much have to get 450r for free to built it to thats level.

If you Like to completely built or feel like you need brandname parts. (walsh, fox, ect.) Go with the 450r.
i think pointless to buy a KTM if you want replace big ticket parts for aftermarket.

The 450r might be the best platform once you get into Pro, pro-am Level of racing since your going start replacing every thing.

OmarTrx450-09
09-11-2011, 08:31 AM
Kepppp ur trx its one of the most reliable brand and it dosent have problems like the krm and it look much nicer

rollie
09-11-2011, 09:04 AM
i know two people that sold all there honda stuff to get KTM's, raced them for 1 season, and then switched back to hondas:p

Nothing against KTM's but they prefered the honda's better, easier to work on, and WAY easier to get parts for.

i know at the beginning of this season the cylinders were back ordered a few months, which meant that someone i knows practice bike was useless haha

MxRider52
09-15-2011, 04:06 PM
Definatley a ktm have both and would take a ktm over a Honda anyday