PDA

View Full Version : Picking a quad!

Jeffries265
08-19-2011, 06:57 PM
Ok, so i have been riding quads since i was 6 years old and have ridden motocross quite a few times. My freind has multiple race quads and his own private track, but i have never owned and built my own race quad. Unlike my friend my "dad" isnt going to pay for this quad and all the parts needed to make it race ready. So, my question is : Which quad is the best choice for someone who is no stranger to quads but only a moderate quad racer. Im either going to buy a ltr 450, 450r or a yfz 450. Please give me feedback on these bikes! What ive learned about these quads thus far is that the 450r has a more reliable motor, but the yfz is race ready and faster out of the box and the ltr 450 is the cheapest and is also just as race ready as the yfz. Any and all feedback will help thanks. Also if anyone knows of a good website to order quad parts please let me know. THANKS EVERYONE!

Jeffries #265

beastlywarrior
08-19-2011, 07:00 PM
honestly cheapest for motocross id take an ltr

jt04-450r
08-19-2011, 07:01 PM
where in indiana are ya?

Jeffries265
08-19-2011, 07:14 PM
i live in clarksville indiana. Southern part just above louisville, KY

CJM
08-19-2011, 07:24 PM
YFZ is faster, more complicated engine tho. 450R has plenty of power and is simplest to work on.

Me, I ride red.

FHKracingZ
08-19-2011, 11:08 PM
yamaha and kawasaki are acually quiet a bit slower than the suzuki or hondas when built!

sexysilverado45
08-19-2011, 11:26 PM
Idk about the kawi and yamaha being slower. I'm a kawi guy and understand that there is certainly a difference stock vs stock kawi. But when built up right the kawi is a down right monster. However im not trying to talk him into a kawi nor debate which is faster, because he has limited money to spend on a race ready quad. I would vote go can am if you haven't thought about it. Contingency program, and the xmx models are supposed to be legit. I haven't rode an xmx, but I have owned an ltr and its not a bad quad so I would go with that one, because your getting more bang for your buck as far as the total package compared to honda, and yamaha I'm not to familiar with.

TheLane
08-19-2011, 11:49 PM
honestly man, cheapest, most reliable quads are the hondas.

You can find more parts for them and those motors will run forever.

DONT BUY A POLARIS..... I ride one, i love it, but damn it is a high maintenance machine. ( im switching to honda myself)

sexysilverado45
08-20-2011, 01:51 AM
Honda would be good, but he said race ready. I haven't checked into hondas as far as how much a used race ready one is, but in stock form it is not race ready. In order to make a stock one race ready your taking a arms and shocks that aren't cheap. The ltr is a decent set up in stock form.

To each hia own ride both and see which one fits you best. Also if you get a chance ride some other ones to get a feel for them.

TWISTED
08-20-2011, 06:31 AM
I had Hondas, but if I was gonna get back into it, I'd buy a KTM for MX........ Out of the box, nothing can come close............

ALAMX37
08-20-2011, 07:34 AM
Originally posted by sexysilverado45
Idk about the kawi and yamaha being slower. I'm a kawi guy and understand that there is certainly a difference stock vs stock kawi. But when built up right the kawi is a down right monster. However im not trying to talk him into a kawi nor debate which is faster, because he has limited money to spend on a race ready quad. I would vote go can am if you haven't thought about it. Contingency program, and the xmx models are supposed to be legit. I haven't rode an xmx, but I have owned an ltr and its not a bad quad so I would go with that one, because your getting more bang for your buck as far as the total package compared to honda, and yamaha I'm not to familiar with.

KFX when built is still far behind a TRX or LTR. The Baldwin TRX I owned shiit all over my best bro's Hetrick built KAwi. And I have rode LTR's with very comparable power. Honda is gonna be the cheapest to make fast and maintain, but the LTR is a solid platform with a pipe and nerfs for a beginner.

Tommy Warren
08-20-2011, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by ALAMX37
KFX when built is still far behind a TRX or LTR. The Baldwin TRX I owned shiit all over my best bro's Hetrick built KAwi. And I have rode LTR's with very comparable power. Honda is gonna be the cheapest to make fast and maintain, but the LTR is a solid platform with a pipe and nerfs for a beginner.

even Hetrick couldn't keep a Hetrick Kawi running......

sexysilverado45
08-20-2011, 11:01 AM
Really. I forgot we were taking about pro race quad a here.

sexysilverado45
08-20-2011, 11:27 AM
Honda would be good, but he said race ready. I haven't checked into hondas as far as how much a used race ready one is, but in stock form it is not race ready. In order to make a stock one race ready your taking a arms and shocks that aren't cheap. The ltr is a decent set up in stock form.

To each hia own ride both and see which one fits you best. Also if you get a chance ride some other ones to get a feel for them.

atvracer1
08-20-2011, 11:59 AM
Ltr's are about as close as you can get as far as stock ready to race because of the extended A arm's. If my team wasn't running ltr's we would more than likely be running the trx simply due to the variety of parts available and I can get the trx's alot cheaper new. As far as the kfx goes they are really nice when they are built, but they require spending some cash to get them there. I just sold our last 2008 kfx pro circuit quad and it was bad wicked and really liked it but was a factory race quad and had a ton of cash invested. Buy you a honda and spend a little cash and get some A arms and a axle and you will be set, good luck

HondaRacing83
08-20-2011, 12:03 PM
can am or ktm. most race ready outta the box, you can pick em up here for a decent price used.

Jeffries265
08-20-2011, 02:23 PM
leaning more toward the 09 kickstart trx450r now

DnB_racing
08-20-2011, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by Jeffries265
leaning more toward the 09 kickstart trx450r now were did you find an 09 kick start? almost all the 09s Ive seen available are e-start

you might want to hold out a couple more weeks just in case,,

there is a slim chance Honda might surprise us and actually have a different 12 model

Jeffries265
08-20-2011, 05:30 PM
there is a local store next to my house called s&s powersports that still has like 3 09 kickstarts never been ridden.

ALAMX37
08-21-2011, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by sexysilverado45
Really. I forgot we were taking about pro race quad a here.

Merely talking about built bikes, as any motocross rider will eventually elevate to a full on race machine. Stock vs stock you just cant beat buying a 50 in quad, LTR, YFZR, or DS. These would be your best options to get going on a budget. Or you can purchase a used quad. Nothing wrong with going used, just have to be careful not everyone takes care of there stuff like some of us do. If I were in your shoes I would buy a used bike that has been built. Look for signs of abuse, be meticulous inspecting them. You cant find a loose bolt on any of my bikes. And always ride it before you buy it. My best advice for you. If you can find something in your budget that already has Long travel suspension you will thank yourself late as it is a must have once you learn to ride the quad towards its capabilities.