PDA

View Full Version : What to do????

dirtman2
08-19-2011, 04:05 PM
Hey guys I haven't been on here in awhile, but here's my problem. I love rideing and been rideing since I was younger and been racing off and on. Well I'm know 21 and been rideing street bikes for the past two years. I ended up buying my buddies bike off of him and had a bad crash back in September. I had bad road rash and a T12 spinal cord injury. I'm currently still not walking but have feeling to my knees and can move my one leg. I have a rod in one of my legs and 8 srews on my lower back. I go to therapy a lot and still getting better but miss rideing. I sold all my bikes know and was thinking about buying a automatic quad soon. But I dnt know if I should buy one or wait longer till I get fully better and see how I am. They say it takes up to 2 years for your swollen in your spine to go fully down. What would you do??? Any thoughts???????

400exrip
08-19-2011, 04:38 PM
Do whatever you want to do, you will know when you'r ready.

Hope you get well soon.

TheLane
08-19-2011, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by 400exrip
Do whatever you want to do, you will know when you'r ready.

Hope you get well soon.

great advice:rolleyes:

man sorry to hear about your injury but im glad to see your making a full recovery. there are a couple of guys on here who are/have been in your position who could really speak more to the matter then i.

But if you miss it that much it could be fun to get something automatic with some decent suspension just to get back into the feel, then once you make a full recovery you can get something a bit more agressive again :)

HondaPohl
08-19-2011, 06:36 PM
I'm also sorry to hear about that. I would also maybe see what your doctors say. I know guys like Seth enslow and Pastrana say they came back early against the doctors orders but I would make sure that the bouncin around dosent aggrevate your spine and such. Whatever you choose, Good luck!

dirtman2
08-19-2011, 07:53 PM
Ya thanks guys ya will see what the doctors says.. My mom wouldn't be happy if I got back on a something that's for sure..

slightlybent47
08-19-2011, 09:21 PM
You need to take your time and get well first. Trust me there will be plenty of time to get back on something and ride. Your only 21 so don’t rush it. find a safer hobby until you completely heal.

HondaRacing83
08-20-2011, 12:01 PM
get into rc cars/trucks. should keep ya entertained till you can ride again.

muddy400EX
08-21-2011, 04:46 AM
Originally posted by HondaRacing83
get into rc cars/trucks. should keep ya entertained till you can ride again.

im tryin to get this old electric T3 runnin that i have and its pissin me off!!!

but anyway, i would wait till you feel good and are recovered. at that time you will know what kind of quad you want, whether a utility or sport etc.

Tommy Warren
08-21-2011, 05:46 AM
don't go punching walls with a broken arm. let it heal or you'll pay for it down the road. it seems like your on the right track to recovery. I'm sure you don't want to go bakwards and injure your spine again

dirtman2
08-21-2011, 04:45 PM
Yea I def don't wanna go backwards Thaddeus sure....

dirtman2
08-21-2011, 04:45 PM
That's for sure..

finsteratv
08-21-2011, 09:20 PM
wait until the docter gives you the ok and maybe look into somthin like a rzr? the new 900xp's look sweet! or maybe a 4wheeler thats an automatic with good suspension..dont go back to street bikes..thats ferrrrrr sureee

SRH
09-11-2011, 10:58 AM
hey , these days you can pretty much get back into whatever you desire, there is adaptive equipment to make about anything possible streetbikes, dirtbikes etc.

I have had a L1 incomplete spinal cord injury, happened august 2008 , have similar return of function but recovery generally slows after first yr and half and then slows to a stop ( from my experience)

ive raced quads and sleds since my injury and i just got into side by sides ( 2011 polaris rzr 900 xp )

i started riding 7 months after and it hurt for a couple months, then raced 12 months , so id say your safe to get back into whatever riding you desire

im done with quads and dirtbikes, ive done it so long, its just not worth the risk anymore, just sleds and side by sides now