PDA

View Full Version : Skid plate for extended A-arms?

thebig450es
08-18-2011, 05:52 PM
Im looking at a set of a-arm skid plates and a belly plate. I was thinking since i have the gt thunder extended +2 a-arms i would need longer A-arm skids. Any thoughts?

thebig450es
08-18-2011, 06:47 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-TRX400-Frame-A-Arm-SKID-PLATE-Set-ATV-Quad-TRX-/380362110798?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item588f59374e

CJM
08-18-2011, 06:52 PM
Never ran a-arm skids, but they should still bolt up in the same spot-might be to small. Also they may not fit at all b/c GT thunders arms might be different thickness and shape than the stockers.

I honestly wouldnt worry about a-arm skids, the things are quite tough and usually sit high enough up you wont damage stuff.

thebig450es
08-18-2011, 06:54 PM
Im also questioning the quality of the metal, i may go with a more expensive. Any i should stay away from?

CJM
08-18-2011, 07:20 PM
DG for starters, I also think AC is kidna cheap.

I like proarmor myself, the swingarm skid I got takes a beating and has hardly bent-and I rode over what equates to a bed of boulders.

dustin_j
08-19-2011, 02:33 PM
I have never seen a-arm guards for extended arms. If you wanted some, they wouldn't be difficult to make. You could either use conduit P clamps to fasten them to your a-arms, or contact a skid plate manufacturer to get some clamps (just tell them the a-arm pipe diameter).

I just got a GT Thunder poly belly skid for my 450R from GTT; it was only $25. It's 1/4" UHMW (high density plastic). You have to come up with your own mounts (see above), but it'll provide protection and slide over obstacles better than aluminum. Hope this helps.

HondaRacing83
08-19-2011, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by CJM
DG for starters, I also think AC is kidna cheap.

I like proarmor myself, the swingarm skid I got takes a beating and has hardly bent-and I rode over what equates to a bed of boulders. heyyy... ease it there. dg isnt all that bad dude. ive got a dg bumper,nerfs, and skid. all the highest end dg you could get, not there ****ty weak thin things. all really thick and work great. ive hit things with my skid that would have destroyed others

CJM
08-19-2011, 07:02 PM
I hate DG, everything I ever had form them was crap compared to anything else and to top it off the DG stuff busted way to easy.

Guess your lucky.

Baileygunns
08-19-2011, 07:29 PM
I have DG skids on my 450... Pretty tuff skids. I BEAT the BAG out of them, especially the swinger skid running 18's on the trail... I don't particularly care for the bumpers, grab bars and exhaust but I can't complain about the skids...

I have a set of a-arm skids that came on the 400 I bought for my Wife and they will not fit the +2 arms I bought. The DG arm skids for my 450 won't fit the +2 arms on both my 450 and the 400...

Just food for thought.