PDA

View Full Version : uhhhh 2 ?s

01boneless
08-18-2011, 04:53 PM
ok so i got it tore apart and the rings have a ton of play like you can grab them and pull them strait off also i dont see any circlips on my piston pin? but the pin wont come out?and also there is a few notches by the lower bolt hols on the cylneder i can tell if they were made there or chiped? and how do i tell if i have a wiseco piston?

HondaPohl
08-18-2011, 05:46 PM
Well you have to go by the ring on the piston in the cylinder. You will have a ring end gap. Honda 400ex should be Top : .008-.014
Second: .014-.020 Oil(side rail): .008-.028. As far as not having circlips you must be mistaken or it should have chewed the **** out of your cylinder. Ive had one pop out and also chew the **** out of the cylinder. Thats all I got. CJM should be able to fill you in with more info.

punk rock kiel
08-18-2011, 06:30 PM
wiseco's might have spiral locks instead of cir clips. more of a pain in the *** to get out. but work just as well.

CJM
08-18-2011, 06:49 PM
No, they got circlips. If it doesnt something is seriously wrong there. There are really hard to see and you need a small screwdriver or a pick tool to get them out. Just put the end of the tool and push the circlip around till it hits the small gap in the piston, then you can pry the clip out.

The rings usually you can pull off, but they shouldnt come off like butter. HondaPohl is right, you need to measure ring end gap with them in the cylinder and on the piston. Also it would be a good idea when you take it to the machine shop to have them check the cylinder sleeve and tell you the specs.

But honestly it sounds to me like you need to bore it out to the next size if the piston has a ton of play when in the cylinder.

01boneless
08-18-2011, 07:32 PM
no the piston dosent have alot of play in the cylnder the rings have a ton of play on the piston out of the cylnder im pretty sure its normal the piston only has a little tiny bit in the cylneder whitch is normal. but im also wondering if its actully a wiseco how do i tell and how do i measure ring gaps and tell if the rings are bad?

CJM
08-18-2011, 07:50 PM
See your other post on how to measure them.

It should be marked wiseco or have a number on it somewhere.

01boneless
08-18-2011, 07:52 PM
thanks also check out my re taping thread lol sorry

crownandmonster
08-18-2011, 07:53 PM
Wiseco pistons always have a number stamped into the top of them with the last numbers being the bore size. They also have an arrow stamped in the top. To measure ring end gap you need to Take the ring off the piston and put it back in the cylinder about 2-3" from the top of the bore. It is very important you push the ring evenly down in the bore( this is bes accomplished with a righ squaring tool). I.E.- if you have one side pushed down further than the other your readings will be incorrect. After you are sure you have the ring pushed down in the bore evenly take a feeler gauge and stick it between the two ends of the ring. Which ever feeler gauge fits snug but not overly tight is your end gap reading.

If I remember correctly Wiseco reccommends a Top ring gap of .014" and a Second ring gap of .017".