PDA

View Full Version : 416 vs 426

JamesPyles
08-18-2011, 03:42 AM
I know there isnt much difference between the two in power, from what Ive read the 416 revs faster. Can anyone tell me anymore difference in the two? Also for woods/trails which kit would be the best bet to go with? Stage 1 or 2 cam? Im a few days from going home from Iraq and want to get this stuff ordered so I can start on it when I get there. Among the kit Im doing GT Thunder HD install and head studs, HD cam chain and think Im going to get an 04-05 450r carb Anything else I can do to help while its apart, maybe mild port and polish? About how much do a job like that cost? Ready to get home and start work!

CJM
08-18-2011, 05:36 AM
the 10cc or so difference in the 407, 416vs 426 doesnt make you power or really change how it revs to much. What will make the power is the compression ratio-higher it is more oomph.

If you want a pretty powerful setup there isnt much better than a 11:1 piston, stage 2 hotcam and a decent exhaust. Thats my setup and I have no issues with power, plenty of torque across the rpm range and plenty of topend. A stage 1 cam might work also, but is somewhat limited once the higher rpms are reached. An 11:1 piston is the highest compression ratio you can run, anything higher needs 100+ octane.

Port and polish will help greatly as well b/c the flow is going to be that much better. Whomever is doing the work must know what your going to be doing with the quad so they can do the appropriate setup for you.

What will really make you faster is suspension. If you can absorb bumps and such, take corners and stuff faster you can keep the engine in a higher gear and just fly along.

As for your HD studs, excellent. They arent needed all the time, but they are well worth the money for the piece of mind that the exhaust studs wont pull off if you overheat it. Same with the timing chain, may as well inspect and also replace the cam chain tensioner and the guides as they are usually worn too. Buy an 02-06 CRF 450r chain, it fits no issues, is stronger and CHEAPER.

As for the 450r carb, a worth while upgrade and will give you a decent power boost. You need one from 04-05.

As for the work and parts: your talking in the end about 1000 bucks, maybe 1200 if you have someone do it. You do most of the work yourself your gonna save money. The parts alone will run you at least 400+ bucks not including the carb. I suggest you buy as much as possible off ebay to save some cash, just make sure they are new parts.

JamesPyles
08-19-2011, 03:38 AM
Thanks for the info! Really helped me make my mind up! But as far as the 416 big bore all I can seem to find it the 10:8:1 only 11:1 is the 426?

Nick24
08-19-2011, 05:49 AM
Originally posted by JamesPyles
Thanks for the info! Really helped me make my mind up! But as far as the 416 big bore all I can seem to find it the 10:8:1 only 11:1 is the 426? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Wiseco-Piston-Honda-TRX400EX-99-08-080-87mm-11-1-400EX-/180704296847?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a12d0bf8f

There ya go. I just got done doing a 416 11:1 with stage 2.

87mm wiseco 11:1 87mm wiseco 11:1 or just type that in on ebay and a bunch will show up. The one I posted is the cheapest on there.

Zeb400EX
08-19-2011, 06:08 AM
I just did a 11:1 wiseco 416 this year and I must say it was a big power increase. I'm running a stock cam too,so if you do the same with the stg 2 hotcam it would be a huge increase. I'm also running and 05 450r carb and full hmf pipe. I did the hd stud too. Goodluck with the built!

JamesPyles
08-19-2011, 06:40 AM
Kick *** thanks guys! i was looking at JE not even thinkin Wiseco....What gasket kits did you guys go with? Im gonna have GT Thunder do the bore and head stud work and maybe a mild port and polish, havent decided yet Also doing the 450r carb have a full HMF exhaust Hoping to have a decent power machine! After motor suspension for sure!

good kit? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cometic-Top-End-Head-Gasket-Kit-HONDA-TRX-400EX-99-08-/300559173215?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item45fab9065f

PaRedneckRiders
08-19-2011, 08:13 AM
Kick *** thanks guys! i was looking at JE not even thinkin Wiseco....What gasket kits did you guys go with? Im gonna have GT Thunder do the bore and head stud work and maybe a mild port and polish, havent decided yet Also doing the 450r carb have a full HMF exhaust Hoping to have a decent power machine! After motor suspension for sure!

good kit? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cometic-Top-End-Head-Gasket-Kit-HONDA-TRX-400EX-99-08-/300559173215?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item45fab9065f
The kit shown is not what you need but yes i would cometic gaskets. Most guys on here run them and have no problems.

That sounds like a good build, what do you have planned for the suspension??

JamesPyles
08-19-2011, 09:39 AM
Good deal I think I pretty much found everything I need for the build on ebay! What would we do without ebay Lol Suspension I think Im gonna do the 450r shocks thensend them and the rear off and have them revalved and resprung Been reading and seem to be a great way to go

Nick24
08-19-2011, 10:03 AM
Good deal I think I pretty much found everything I need for the build on ebay! What would we do without ebay Lol Suspension I think Im gonna do the 450r shocks thensend them and the rear off and have them revalved and resprung Been reading and seem to be a great way to go

I would highly recommend the HLS shocks by gt thunder. I bought a pair of rebuilt ones for $245 on ebay. They were already valved for a 125-175# rider which I am. He says he can set them up for your weight though. Just search hls shocks on ebay.

I used cosmetic mls gaskets. Mls is the metal layered gaskets which is best. Paper cosmetic isn't very good i've been told. Also found on ebay.

lilholt7
08-19-2011, 03:07 PM
I have not used 450r shocks but by reading on here I heard the are horrible for trail ridding because theyre to stiff. The 450r shocks are good for motocross racing. So I guess it's all up to what you plan to do with your quad.

CJM
08-19-2011, 06:57 PM
No issues trail riding with my stock 450r shocks, I have the preload backed all the way off and the rest is adjusted to my riding style, I weight about 195lbs too.

Word of caution with the gaskets: Cometic sells 2 types, 1 is a felt/paper type gasket, this is cheap crap and to be avoided 2. Is a multilayered steel aka MLS viton coated gasket set. This set looks like it has a rubbery finish and is metal like in pictures-this is the one you want.

Baileygunns
08-19-2011, 07:37 PM
Thanks for serving James.

JamesPyles
08-20-2011, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by lilholt7
I have not used 450r shocks but by reading on here I heard the are horrible for trail ridding because theyre to stiff. The 450r shocks are good for motocross racing. So I guess it's all up to what you plan to do with your quad.

Yeah read up on that too which is why I will do the revalve and respring if i do go that route, or just revalve and respring the 400 shocks along with the rear, still not to sure

JamesPyles
08-20-2011, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by CJM
No issues trail riding with my stock 450r shocks, I have the preload backed all the way off and the rest is adjusted to my riding style, I weight about 195lbs too.

Word of caution with the gaskets: Cometic sells 2 types, 1 is a felt/paper type gasket, this is cheap crap and to be avoided 2. Is a multilayered steel aka MLS viton coated gasket set. This set looks like it has a rubbery finish and is metal like in pictures-this is the one you want.

I weigh about the same little less, so no issues on being too stiff huh? Might do this till I decide, ok well shell out the money on a good set up...Yeah been told on the gaskets, believe I did find the ones I will need, the ones you mention witht he MLS

JamesPyles
08-20-2011, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by Baileygunns
Thanks for serving James.

Very welcome! Only downside to this job is being away from the toys I have! Lol 2 days left till Im back on US soil! ANd the building begins:)

CJM
08-20-2011, 09:16 AM
I weigh about the same little less, so no issues on being too stiff huh? Might do this till I decide, ok well shell out the money on a good set up...Yeah been told on the gaskets, believe I did find the ones I will need, the ones you mention witht he MLS

If anything they might be slightly stiffer-but Im so used to it it doesnt bother me. They arent so stiff as to be uncomfortable tho.

skullracer34
08-20-2011, 01:28 PM
I suggest going with the Je or cp piston they are way lighter than the Wiseco allowing quicker acceleration ....I have one of both and the 426 is quite a bit faster having the Je piston. But its all in what you like I guess

Baileygunns
08-20-2011, 06:39 PM
Very welcome! Only downside to this job is being away from the toys I have! Lol 2 days left till Im back on US soil! ANd the building begins:)

I've been in those same shoes my friend... Makes me appreciate what you do that much more.