PDA

View Full Version : Neck brace saved me

madskrillz2
08-17-2011, 11:36 PM
Well today my a arm came loose from the spindle on the face of a double. Needless to say, I lawn darted face first into the ground. Broke my visor, cracked the actual helmet, scratched my face up, but luckily no broken neck. I'm almost positive I would have a broken neck if I didn't have a brace. So for all of you still riding without one thinking it's not that important, go buy one. I'm using the Alpinestar.

YFZ-FoFiddy-TC
08-18-2011, 12:40 AM
Glad to hear you're okay. As for the neckbrace, I'm sure plenty of people would buy one but sometimes it really is hard to justify the money for them when you're a rec rider and don't race MX. It was a ball to swollow dropping $400 for my Leatt, but I believe I ride just as hard as most MX guys do when I'm at the dunes. But I guess it comes down to what you're willing to pay for your safety in this "high risk" sport.

There's a reason I do buy the more expensive, well rated stuff. If I can prevent myself from becoming a vegatable if I do take a nasty spill, it's money well spent. I'll take a broken collarbone over a broken neck every day of the week.

mysterybike
08-18-2011, 08:16 AM
You couldn't give me one of those things.

TheLane
08-18-2011, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by mysterybike
You couldn't give me one of those things.

lol, if you were any more tough you would be chuck norris.

Man, mine has saved me more than once as well. I will never, ever ride without one again.

mysterybike
08-18-2011, 10:12 AM
Hahahaha! I'm sure they serve their purpose most of the time. I've just heard too many horror stories of them actually causing paralysis...mainly the Leatt.

HondaRacing83
08-18-2011, 10:37 AM
Hahahaha! I'm sure they serve their purpose most of the time. I've just heard too many horror stories of them actually causing paralysis...mainly the Leatt. i havnt heard one, go on

SRH
08-18-2011, 10:53 AM
I don't see how they could actually increase any risk of paralysis and I have yet to hear of one case

The only time it may increase it is if you already have some hardware in your neck or back

Maybe you guys who think " you couldnt give me one of those" should sit in a room for a few hours with someone paralyzed from the neck down

WEAR A BRACE

mysterybike
08-18-2011, 11:06 AM
Hi SRH,

I do have a close friend who is currently paralyzed from the mid chest area down, and the Leatt brace he was wearing 100% caused the paralysis. So, yes, I have sat with someone who is dealing with that.

Now, I don't mean to be argumentative at all and certainly didn't mean to strike a nerve with anyone. I'm just saying they may not actually work as well as claimed, and everyone should do lots or research prior to choosing their safety equipment.

I was busy at work when I posted the first comment. I should have worded that differently and explained further what I meant. I do apologize to anyone that may have been offended by that remark.

yfm250rider
08-18-2011, 11:08 AM
i was about to go out for a moto and my friends dad saw me without a neckbrace and made me put one and sure enough that race i went over a berm and landed on my head i guess its time to drop 400 dallors on one

mx Eli
08-18-2011, 11:13 AM
Hi SRH,

I was busy at work when I posted the first comment. I should have worded that differently and explained further what I meant. I do apologize to anyone that may have been offended by that remark.

get back to work:devil:

madskrillz2
08-18-2011, 11:15 AM
Sorry I guess I should have said if you're racing. I'm sure people get hurt just as much rec riding but I feel like it's a priority to have one for mx now. I'm just glad I had one on.

SRH
08-18-2011, 11:18 AM
Hi SRH,

I do have a close friend who is currently paralyzed from the mid chest area down, and the Leatt brace he was wearing 100% caused the paralysis. So, yes, I have sat with someone who is dealing with that.

Now, I don't mean to be argumentative at all and certainly didn't mean to strike a nerve with anyone. I'm just saying they may not actually work as well as claimed, and everyone should do lots or research prior to choosing their safety equipment.

the mid back support caused him to fold there rather than at the neck? better off breaking it there than at his neck

mysterybike
08-18-2011, 11:20 AM
With that said, yes it is much much better, and he is thankful for that. In that sense, the Leatt did its "job". Only the Man upstairs knows for sure whether or not the paralysis would have been worse or not happened at all without the brace.

bbender85
08-18-2011, 12:37 PM
not sure why you guys are spending $400... you can get a leatt adventure II or astars bionic for <$300 all day..

madskrillz2
08-18-2011, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by bbender85
not sure why you guys are spending $400... you can get a leatt adventure II or astars bionic for <$300 all day..

Exactly why I have the Astars

HondaPohl
08-18-2011, 12:49 PM
Yea you dont want to fuc k your neck and spine up. Glad u alrite.

sunco
08-19-2011, 06:46 AM
All my riders use leatts. You can use anything you want but our 1st one we paid the $400. The next one I got for $100 from Craigslist. the 3rd was $200 (used only serveral times & was just less than a year old)from craigslist. All had low use, so get what you can afford. There is so much stuff out there now that you don't have to pay retail prices.

FHKracingZ
08-19-2011, 11:14 PM
I talked to Wienen right after his accident and the doctor believed his alpinestar brace back piece actually broke his back. Good news was doctor also said he probably would of broke his neck higher causing more damage. Chad said he will continue to wear a alpinestar neck brace.

SRH
08-20-2011, 12:20 PM
i dont understand why the brace cant be winged so that it would push on shoulder blades instead

ikas
08-20-2011, 04:05 PM
http://www.omegabrace.com/uploads/lists/3/thumbnails/X1-Back2_514x514.jpg

KXRida
08-20-2011, 08:47 PM
Hi SRH,

100% cause is impossible to prove. If you're in a severe enough impact that you come out with paralysis, 9 times out of 10 you're going to have the same extent of injuries with or without a neck brace. When I broke my back some time ago the leatt prevented cervical injury as it is designed to do. I sustained fractures in my thoracic and lumbar spine. Did the leatt cause further cause these fractures? Maybe, maybe not, but in the nature of my crash I would have sustained fractures regardless, however my cervical spine was completely unharmed, which is what neck braces in general are aimed at. Pretty much the same case as Chad Wienen. I ran a leatt for a while but the thing that sold me on the alpinestars was the break away back member. To a certain extent the back member will help prevent injury, but after that point has been reached it more or less acts as a fulcrum for your back to pivot on. I say this as I have experienced it first hand.

Seeing that your friend is mid chest/down paralyzed indicates that he most likely has a spinal cord injury around t5/t6 area. Better to injure that area and come out with a mostly functional life than have a c3 fracture or so and not be able to regulate important things like, heart rate, spontaneous breathing, etc.