PDA

View Full Version : my sprocket is loose someone help?

seanmccullough4
08-17-2011, 11:23 PM
okay my front sprocket is loose but its not the sprocket itself cuz its tightened good, is this really bad? someone told me it could be a bearing or something that i would have to split the cases to fix, they also said i should sell it before somethin else happens should i get rid of it?

01boneless
08-18-2011, 07:26 AM
its probly just a worn sproket? but yeah sell it and let someone else have your crap. i hate people like that

DnB_racing
08-18-2011, 07:36 AM
Originally posted by 01boneless
its probly just a worn sproket? but yeah sell it and let someone else have your crap. i hate people like that X2^^^

maybe if you put some sawdust in it will tighten the bearing enough to sell it to some poor kids that just spent his life savings, or he might not even notice the problem, and be riding it for a week before something locks up on him sending him into a tree head first... no problem!!!

what type of play is in the sprocket?is the shaft worn, or is the whole shaft loose?any oil leaks around the seal?....

but dont just pass it off to next buyer either give FULL disclosure of problem, or fix it right

01boneless
08-18-2011, 07:51 AM
ya ive been down that road many times hence the term looks can be decieving!!

but ya if your sproket is loose or wiggly just replace it first

eprovenzano
08-18-2011, 08:03 AM
Is the shaft loose, or the sproket. If the shaft is loose, you'd be loosing fluid as the seal would be bad. If the sprocket is loose on the shaft, replace the sprocket.

Stickman400
08-18-2011, 10:32 AM
My front sprocket does the same thing. I think it's normal for them to do it. Even with a new sprocket it still does it. It's the way you put the sprocket on the couter-shaft, then the little plate that you put the bolts through pulls it back away from the case, and it gets alittle play in it. But then again I may have a problem also, but it's been like that for as long as I can remember.

eprovenzano
08-18-2011, 11:21 AM
I just checked our 400, This past winter I split the cases for a new crank. I replaced the sprockets and chain. The front sprocket does have some play in it... If you remove the chain, it has a lot of play. I think its just the nature of the beast...

chronicsmoke
08-18-2011, 01:03 PM
mines always been the same way.. never had an issue.

seanmccullough4
08-18-2011, 04:12 PM
alright i was gonna get a 14 tooth front sprocket anyways for hillclimbs, and if i sell it, everytime i sell to someone i always tell the buyer everything that is wrong with it cuz ive had it happen to me before. so ill just get a new sprocket and leave it alone besides its a honda!

NacsMXer
08-18-2011, 06:55 PM
A little wiggle in the front sprocket is a normal occurrence on a 400EX. The rear sprocket is another story and should have no play. It's not like a 250R where there is a bolt running through the center of the sprocket, holding it fixed to the countershaft. It's more or less a "floating" sprocket setup with a retainer clip holding it in place in a groove on the countershaft.

CJM
08-18-2011, 07:18 PM
When the chain has tension on it the sprockets tight as can be. Its a non issue guys.

seanmccullough4
08-18-2011, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by NacsMXer
A little wiggle in the front sprocket is a normal occurrence on a 400EX. The rear sprocket is another story and should have no play. It's not like a 250R where there is a bolt running through the center of the sprocket, holding it fixed to the countershaft. It's more or less a "floating" sprocket setup with a retainer clip holding it in place in a groove on the countershaft.

thts what i wanted to hear lol thanks