PDA

View Full Version : gasket questions

01boneless
08-17-2011, 01:58 PM
hey guys im replacing my rings and have a question or 2 . first. the shop near me has stock head gaskets for 25 bucks whitch i know is not bad but i need to know will it be ok with a wiseco 11:1 stock bore piston?(dont want any leaks)also can i reuse the valve cover gasket?

matts27
08-17-2011, 02:03 PM
Stock bore, gasket is fine. I would spend the money and replace the valve cover gasket. Just me but I prefer no leaks. Matt

400exrip
08-17-2011, 02:10 PM
when ever you are rebuilding a motor never reuse the old gasket even if it looks fresh and nice. You want a new gasket so you know you are getting a fresh tight seal.

And if any old gasket is left on the valve cover scrape it off and get that surface nice and clean before putting the new gasket on.

bkb88
08-17-2011, 02:32 PM
The valve cover gasket can be re-used if you are careful not to damage it. I have done this to my 400ex as well as my cousins and both have sealed properly. Like others have mentioned, the head and base gaskets must be replaced. Good luck.

CJM
08-17-2011, 06:38 PM
Base and head gaskets must be replaced. The ROCKER cover can be reused if you dont damage it.

01boneless
08-17-2011, 06:48 PM
well i found a cometic mls kit with base valve and head all for 30 so i guess ill get tht one but that im sure you guys will be hearing from me about striped bolts in a day or so lol

CJM
08-17-2011, 07:50 PM
Sounds good, good luck with the stripped bolts. Like I said before, it might be a good idea to tap them out to the next size-really would be a good idea to use an allen head style bolt as the 7mm bolts (or if you wanted to use 1/4 bolts) the head maybe slightler larger and not fit right on the cover.

Remember of all the bolts, the most critical of them are the long ones that go thru everything.

Also when you take it apart you will need an 8mm wrench, a very small one at that or get creative with some sockets. The cylinder has 2 small 8mm bolts on the clutch side that you may miss when taking it apart.

ALSO stuff rags into any opening when taking it apart incase you drop something! Dont want to be fishing whatever out of the bottom end.

01boneless
08-17-2011, 08:16 PM
ok so just to prevent leaks befor i shoved american bolts(fater threads) in the striped holes so should i just take the parts to a matchen shop and have them tap them for a larger size or shove helicoils in them or if they will go back in just screw the american bolts back in?

CJM
08-17-2011, 08:41 PM
Take it somewhere to be repaired right.

01boneless
08-17-2011, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Take it somewhere to be repaired right.

i know but do i tell them heil it or tap for a bigger size?

AtvKid4Eva
08-19-2011, 01:10 PM
DO NOT just shove a larger bolt in there..get it done right or don't build the motor.

CJM
08-19-2011, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by 01boneless
i know but do i tell them heil it or tap for a bigger size?

Your call. I dont like helicoils myself Id tap it.

Shoving the bolts in there mighta damaged it all tho beyond repair. Dont know till I see it myself. 7mm might be your best bet if its really screwed since its only slightly larger than 1/4"

Please go to the machine shop and explain your issues to them-they will come up with something or tell you they cant help you. In which case if they wont help you, your already SOL with what ya got now, so move up a bolt size and tap it out and see where it goes.

01boneless
08-19-2011, 07:17 PM
well i fixed it guys i tapped all those babys out and fixed em tightend the vavle cover on it a few times and they work good!!!!

CJM
08-19-2011, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by 01boneless
well i fixed it guys i tapped all those babys out and fixed em tightend the vavle cover on it a few times and they work good!!!!

Told ya, what size did you go with?

01boneless
08-19-2011, 07:24 PM
haha i used a 6mm stock size