PDA

View Full Version : lifting program

redrider24
02-23-2003, 02:13 PM
does anyone have a program for weight lifting that is geared for motcross racers. I would be greatful if you shared your secrets. thanks

02-23-2003, 03:11 PM
One thing that I do for my for arms is get a 5 gallon bucket and fill it with uncooked rice. Then stick your hands in it and go about half way down and squeeze the rice with your hands. You'll feel the burn very quickly.

raptor_02
02-24-2003, 09:16 PM
for weight lifting just do lots of sets and lots of reps fast. You want to gain more stanima then anything. Something u could do to prevent a-arm pump or make your forearms strong is get a small brick. Tie some string around it then get a straigt stick of something like a broom handle, tie the string to it. Put your arms straight out in front of you with the stick in your hand and start rolling it up . Man that is the best forearm workout there is. Once u get the brick to the top roll it back down slowly. You will have huge forearms after about a month of that.

Nausty
02-24-2003, 09:28 PM
lol, i'm doing heavy lifting now. I can run a long moto no problem but i'm weak when it comes to other things. I pretty much wanna be able to bench 200lbs by the time I graduate but i'm sure i'll be close to there by the end of the year if I don't quit lifting.

Porkchop
02-24-2003, 10:05 PM
i lift weights and its the best thing for me, i ride trails mostly but when i gotta turn the 400 around or lift it its a peice of cake. just do mostly auxilari's and the regular lifts like bench squat and incline and just do as many reps and your mucsles tell you can do, and you'll know when that is. and just work out steady and you'll improve quicky..

abcracing
02-24-2003, 11:23 PM
the main area where most people don't think to work out for motorcross is ur legs.ur legs is mainly where u hold onto ur bike at.the more you are able to hold onto the bike with ur legs the less upper body u will use to hold on.by doing this it will help with arm pump.the tighter u have to hold onto the handle bars the less the blood flows through ur arms.don't believe me?make a fist and do it as tight as u can.hold it untill ur hand turns white.that is telling u there is no blood flowing through ur arm which is making ur muscle tighten up.think about it guys i didn't believe it at first but it is true,it has nothing to do with how big ur forearms are.hope this will help all of you.

tants
02-25-2003, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Nausty
lol, i'm doing heavy lifting now. I can run a long moto no problem but i'm weak when it comes to other things. I pretty much wanna be able to bench 200lbs by the time I graduate but i'm sure i'll be close to there by the end of the year if I don't quit lifting.

last time i lifted i maxed out at 190. this was last summer (right after freshmen year)

how much do you weigh nuasty? if you can bench your own weight or more it means your in good shape (strength wise)

Ballistic Atv
02-25-2003, 12:42 PM
Strength imo is a very important aspect of being a good rider.
Being strong will enable you to throw the atv around in the air incase u get thrown off of the lip of the jump crooked(spelling?)
I have been bodybuilding pretty hardcore for 2 years, and i have become a much much better rider because of the strength that i have because of bodybuilding.
Leg strength is very very important for riding also.
I would recommend going to www.teenbodybuilding.com
to learn about exercises and to learn a good workout program.
There is an excellent message board there, you will be able to get ALL of your weight lifting/ cardio questions answered there.

here is a workout routine i would recommend for you.

monday:
Chest, Triceps and biceps
3 sets of Incline dumbell bench press 12 reps first set than 10 on the second set and 8 on the third set.
Decline dumbell bench press 3 set again do 12 reps / 10 / 8 on ur last set.
Flat bench flys 3 sets 12 reps 10 / 8

Dips 3 sets 12 reps 10 / 8
skullcrushers 3 sets 12 reps 10 / 8
overhead dumbell extensions 3 sets 12 reps 10reps / 8

Dumbell biceps curls 3 sets 12 reps / 10reps / 8
Barbell preacher curls 3 sets 12 reps / 10 / 8

wednesday:
Back and shoulders

Deadlifts 3 sets 10 reps /8 / 6
Lat tower wider grip pulldowns 3 sets 12 reps /10 / 8
dumbell rows 3 sets 12 reps/ 10 /8
barbell rows 3 sets 12 reps /10 / 8
cable rows 3 sets 12 reps / 10 / 8

Dumbell shoulder press 3 sets 12 reps / 10 / 8
side dumbell raises 3 sets 12 reps / 10 / 8
rear dumbell raises 3 sets 12 reps / 10 / 8
upright rows 3 sets 12 reps than 10 / 8

Friday:
Legs

Barbell Squats 3 sets 12 reps / 10 / 8
Leg press 3 sets 12 reps/ 10 / 8
Leg extensions 3 sets 12 reps/ 10 / 8
hamstring leg curls 3 sets 12 reps / 10 /8
Calf raises 3 sets 12 reps/10/8
If you have ne questions about how to do the exercises i just named either email me at mattlvsbball@aol.com i will be glad to answer ne of ur questions.
or ask the questions on the message board at www.teenbodybuilding.com
You should lift weights no more than times a week, if you workout more than that you will most likely be overtraining, only train each bodypart once a week to allow for full muscle recovery before you next workout with that muscle.
Keep your workouts under 1 hour and take no longer than 1 minute breaks between sets.
Do you have a memebership to a gym?
If not, u can do alot of good exercises at home if you have some dumbells and a weight bench.

Ballistic Atv
02-25-2003, 12:45 PM
cardio is a aslso very important for racing.
U need very good stamina to race long periods of time.
I would recommend you run/ walk(whichever u prefer) or do some sort of cardio activity 3 times a week for 30 minutes each time.
That will build your stamina , and that along with strength will help you become a better racer.
And remember to have a healthy diet and get a good amount of protein to help your muscles recover from working out.
Good luck!!

QuadTrix6
02-25-2003, 12:57 PM
yea i am doing a good cardio routine now for MX, i run a lot and all the weight lifting i do is light to mediumweight about 3-4 set but high reps like 20-25, i need to cut fat though so it all depends on what your looking to do...pick up a mens health mag they gotta a lot of good tips and stuff in there....

Ballistic Atv
02-25-2003, 01:07 PM
the majority of the articles in mens health magazine are a bunch of b.s.
Those guys have no clue about what they r talking about.
It is pretty much useless to work out using that high of reps(20-25) You will get results much quicker by going lower in reps and higher in weight.
Just go heavy while working out to gain strength an muscle and lose weight by doin cardio.

BigThumper33
02-25-2003, 05:14 PM
Ive been lifting for a few years now. If you want to run a long moto you DO want to do sets of 25 reps. Lower reps and more weight produces strength and build, not endurance.

Nausty
02-25-2003, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by tants
last time i lifted i maxed out at 190. this was last summer (right after freshmen year)

how much do you weigh nuasty? if you can bench your own weight or more it means your in good shape (strength wise)

I way about 190, I just started really wanting to get into shape about a month ago. I started to lift weights last summer but I got burnt out on it and then I broke my collarbone so that meant no lifting for a few months. I'm only benching about 140.