PDA

View Full Version : 2006 Predator Troy Lee

raptorobbie
08-17-2011, 07:10 AM
I have an 06 Predator w/ some mods done professionally by HMF. Last time I had it out it ran great all day - went to put it in the trailer and it stalled from an idle.
I have been thru everything from plugs to cdi's, carbs and fuel delivery.

Right now it starts and runs perfect while it is cold, as soon as it starts to warm up a bit, the idle gets really sketchy. It still takes throttle and has power when you rev, but as soon as you let go it wants to die.
Any thoughts?? Thanks!

raptorobbie
09-20-2011, 07:44 AM
ok after a lot of reading and searching I think I have the classic intake valve clearance issue and need to re-shim my valves.

My new question is are the clearances of .006 (intake) and .010 (exhaust) still the numbers to use even with an aftermarket cam?

Thanks!

raptorobbie
10-17-2011, 09:35 AM
Answers!

I learned that yes you have to use the clearances given to you by the cam manufacturer. In this case the Hot Cams numbers are the same as stock - Hot Cams responded right away.

After getting the intake and exhaust valves adjusted properly (they weren't that far out of spec) the bike still wouldn't start - no big surprise.

Pissed off and out of clues I went to start the bike late one night and when I hit the start button I could hear the sound of wire frying - hit the button again and more sizzling sounds! Turns out the stakon connector on the coil was completely loose (wire that comes from CDI)- couldn't tell by looking at it though.

Tightened the connection and she fired up right away - rode for a couple minutes and it seems to be fine! Someone remind me why we do this!!

OutlawBill
10-17-2011, 10:14 AM
try cleaning the carb out

TheLane
10-17-2011, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by OutlawBill
try cleaning the carb out
hey bill..... i think he got it lol