PDA

View Full Version : HRC difference?

finsteratv
08-16-2011, 05:10 PM
hey guys im looking into a 2007 450er with an HRC kit. im coming off a pretty mild 400ex which you can see below and was wondering if the 450 and kit may be to much for me? i mainly ride my 125 in trails so this will be some trails but mostly a dune bike. i probably do 80% dunes and 20% trails now quad wise. i ride my 400 to the point where i find myself running out of throttle and draining gas pretty soon so decided my brother wants a 400 and i can get a 450. all help is appreciated on this! 450r's are a whole new beast to me. btw im 5'11" about 150 and an aggresive rider.

HondaPohl
08-16-2011, 05:50 PM
I seen a thirteen yearold kid ride a wheelie on a busa for a half mile. That was obviously way to much bike for the kid but he could ride and handle it. If you are an agressive rider and I take it you can ride you will be fine. It will be a fast quad but its not rocket powered. Hope you can see what Im gettin at.

DnB_racing
08-16-2011, 05:52 PM
no it wont be to much!! the hrc kit is basically removing the corked up feeling, and is really how the motors should be released from the factory..

but believe me its far from full potential,

but its a good performing reliable mod, and is the minimum work that should be done.

in no time you will want it even faster

in stock form most people are disappointed,but a few mods really wake it up,

your going to clutch it more in the trails, then your 400, but soon enough you will just get faster,

that's the thing about them they make you a better rider, as they dont like going slow

finsteratv
08-16-2011, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by DnB_racing
no it wont be to much!! the hrc kit is basically removing the corked up feeling, and is really how the motors should be released from the factory..

but believe me its far from full potential,

but its a good performing reliable mod, and is the minimum work that should be done.

in no time you will want it even faster

in stock form most people are disappointed,but a few mods really wake it up,

your going to clutch it more in the trails, then your 400, but soon enough you will just get faster,

that's the thing about them they make you a better rider, as they dont like going slow
and i have no problem with going fast through the woods because my cr125 hates going slow too haha. looks like i might be picking myself up a white 2007 450er with hrc kit and a K&N which i plan to switch

DnB_racing
08-17-2011, 03:09 AM
Originally posted by finsteratv
and i have no problem with going fast through the woods because my cr125 hates going slow too haha. looks like i might be picking myself up a white 2007 450er with hrc kit and a K&N which i plan to switch ya you will like it,and yes if your riding dunes definitely put a uni filter,

K+N filters are great filters for wet areas but not as good for dusty, I have both types and will run the uni for dusty conditions and K+N for wet muddy conditions, they both have there uses

coryatver
08-17-2011, 05:56 AM
ya you will like it,and yes if your riding dunes definitely put a uni filter,

K+N filters are great filters for wet areas but not as good for dusty, I have both types and will run the uni for dusty conditions and K+N for wet muddy conditions, they both have there uses

It is going to take a while to get used to but just respect the quad and you will be ok. If you don't it will put you on your butt!

The cam makes a big difference when combined with opening up the airbox, put an exhuast on it and install the hrc jet kit.

actually dunes are the only place I would run a K&N. foam filters packs with sand and starts passing it through. K&N is the best filter for sand.

chronicsmoke
08-17-2011, 05:59 AM
In a month or two, you'll be used to the R and the EX will feel like a toy haha.

I don't recall anyone making the switch and regretting it

Ruf Racing
08-17-2011, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by coryatver
actually dunes are the only place I would run a K&N. foam filters packs with sand and starts passing it through. K&N is the best filter for sand.

^^ Agreed ^^

Buy it, you will be very happy, happy! :D

brewster426
08-17-2011, 07:59 AM
I went from a pretty mild 426 to a stock 450. I wasn't ever disappointed with the power of the 450..it's the handling I wasn't happy with. But when you widen the 450 it becomes a whole lot more comfortable. I took the air box lid off and put an exhaust on it. Went from like a 122 jet to a 175. Needless to say it made a significant difference in power. But it still doesn't have that low end grunt that my 400 did. But I ride on the top end anyway. Just takes a little getting used to clutching it out of corners. All in all I am happier with the 450.

DnB_racing
08-17-2011, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by Ruf Racing
^^ Agreed ^^

Buy it, you will be very happy, happy! :D Ruf, are you running K+N in dusty dunes?

I can see if its just sand and heavy particles,but small dust that's airborne, the uni or foam has much more surface area to filter out the real small particles,

around were i ride our sand pits are more dust bowls, and the dust is so fine that anyone that runs the cotton weave has had valve issues,as there is only one layer of filtration compared to a half inch thick filter surface,

but I do run the K+N in the woods were the ground is more moist and wet, Ive drowned the filter with roost and splash and the sponge will allow the dirty water to seep through into the motor until it drys, but if the filter can stay dry the foam will filter smaller particles then the cotton weave

Brewster ya your right the suspension is real stiff,if people cant afford to have a shock rebuild, they should at least remove almost all the preload,and most of the compression,and just enough rebound to just allow the quad to raise back up after pushing the quad to compress the springs,

chronicsmoke
08-17-2011, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by brewster426
I went from a pretty mild 426 to a stock 450. I wasn't ever disappointed with the power of the 450..it's the handling I wasn't happy with. But when you widen the 450 it becomes a whole lot more comfortable. I took the air box lid off and put an exhaust on it. Went from like a 122 jet to a 175. Needless to say it made a significant difference in power. But it still doesn't have that low end grunt that my 400 did. But I ride on the top end anyway. Just takes a little getting used to clutching it out of corners. All in all I am happier with the 450.

The power is nice that's for sure.

I'd rather have all of the power at a higher rpm anyway. My 426 is fun to ride, but i find the power cuts off to early.
I find its easier to corner, jump, wheelie, ect with a 450. The power will pull you through the corners. I do clutch a bit more in the corners, but I'm used to a notchy 2-stroke as well. I find the best way to describe 450r; the best of both worlds (400ex/250r). I never found my EX handled all that nice compared to either R..

DnB_racing
08-17-2011, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by chronicsmoke
The power is nice that's for sure.

I'd rather have all of the power at a higher rpm anyway. My 426 is fun to ride, but i find the power cuts off to early.
I find its easier to corner, jump, wheelie, ect with a 450. The power will pull you through the corners. I do clutch a bit more in the corners, but I'm used to a notchy 2-stroke as well. I find the best way to describe 450r; the best of both worlds (400ex/250r). I never found my EX handled all that nice compared to either R.. ya its like the ex is fun to ride for a ride with the kids or if your just wanting a quick comfortable ride, they are great in the tight woods, and you could ride a good fast pace all day
but when you get on a R (either one450 or 250)it brings out the competitor in you,you want to use the speed, and leave your buddies in the dust...they have a complete different feel over the ex

on my ex i was able to ride it as fast as I wanted and max out what the quad can do, (im not talking about in the open but through the whoops and bumps and jumps)

but on my 450, i still after 5 years of riding them haven't reached the full potential of what the quad can do,when I start to get comfortable I add more mods and its a whole nether beast,
but it makes you want to keep pushing

chronicsmoke
08-17-2011, 09:28 AM
ya its like the ex is fun to ride for a ride with the kids or if your just wanting a quick comfortable ride, they are great in the tight woods, and you could ride a good fast pace all day
but when you get on a R (either one450 or 250)it brings out the competitor in you,you want to use the speed, and leave your buddies in the dust...they have a complete different feel over the ex

on my ex i was able to ride it as fast as I wanted and max out what the quad can do, (im not talking about in the open but through the whoops and bumps and jumps)

but on my 450, i still after 5 years of riding them haven't reached the full potential of what the quad can do,when I start to get comfortable I add more mods and its a whole nether beast,
but it makes you want to keep pushing

I agree 100%.

The Ex dictates what your limits are, with the R(s) your confidence dictates what your limits are.

My As$ Dyno tells me I'm at about 47HP give or take a few, I'd like to be Mid 50's. I'm still searching for power for gaps with a small approach.

finsteratv
08-17-2011, 09:29 AM
i definately respect the power of things when im new to them so i dont kill myself. once i got to ride my friends dads ktm 505 factory dirtbike and :eek2: :eek2: fast. a 450 is sounding like more and more fun as you guys go on haha i just feel like i was riding the piss out of my 400 and i usually ride the top end so maybe a 450r will be a killer choice. guess we'll see!

chronicsmoke
08-17-2011, 09:39 AM
i definately respect the power of things when im new to them so i dont kill myself. once i got to ride my friends dads ktm 505 factory dirtbike and :eek2: :eek2: fast. a 450 is sounding like more and more fun as you guys go on haha i just feel like i was riding the piss out of my 400 and i usually ride the top end so maybe a 450r will be a killer choice. guess we'll see!

I cant even fathom that kind of power on two wheels haha.

I still ride the piss out of my 450, im just going alot faster haha. already on my 3rd set of practice tires this summer..

Lack of rain up here has our practice track hard like asfault!

Ruf Racing
08-17-2011, 11:01 AM
Ruf, are you running K+N in dusty dunes?

I actually run a K&N with a outerwear, in very dusty trails. Keeping it clean and well oiled, I've never had a valve issue. The poster does live in Oregon, so I presumed it was course sand. It always intrigues me about the air filter debate. What works for some doesn't work for others.
:)

finsteratv
08-17-2011, 11:25 AM
well my 450 will definately be in the sand but in time i may buy another sparks filter like i did on my 400. the way i see it once i get bored or want more out of my 450 i can do some mods..where as a 400 you do mods and pretty soon you wish you wouldve just gotten a 450 haha. does anybody know if they make a graphics for the 450r's that look like the old school 250r's because that would be ultimate to me haha (white 450)

DnB_racing
08-17-2011, 02:05 PM
well my 450 will definately be in the sand but in time i may buy another sparks filter like i did on my 400. the way i see it once i get bored or want more out of my 450 i can do some mods..where as a 400 you do mods and pretty soon you wish you wouldve just gotten a 450 haha. does anybody know if they make a graphics for the 450r's that look like the old school 250r's because that would be ultimate to me haha (white 450) K+K has a 250 retro .. member(Blainekaiser450) spelling might be wrong but he used to have a retro look 450,gold a arms and all, looked nice.. i found a link to his quad

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=439988

finsteratv
08-17-2011, 04:37 PM
thanks DNB! but how much of a power difference does the hrc kit really make?

chronicsmoke
08-18-2011, 06:03 AM
thanks DNB! but how much of a power difference does the hrc kit really make?

You'd be very surprised..

You can get over 50hp on a stock bore if you look beyond the addition of the HRC kit (HC Piston and porting)

But even a mild 450 (HRC) will be out runnin built 400ex's with ease. You'll be impressed initially, but after a few months, you'll be looking for more I bet. haha

hondadude101
08-18-2011, 01:34 PM
i had a 2003 400ex with a 432 11:1 comp kit in it, kn intake and a few other things, but i went to a white 2007 450er with the hrc kit and i love it, the 400 shook at top speed, probly from being rolled so many times, but i absolutely love the 450, i had it wide and then changed it to stock and i would definately never do that again, def is a whole different quad when wide!... 450r is better, you can ride to your potential

finsteratv
08-18-2011, 02:11 PM
yeah chronic thats what i was thinking about for the future since its gonna see alot of sand but being almost 15 its time to start saving gas money haha
and hondadude thats why i got it! so i can ride harder but i also didnt wanna sink money into my 400 either to try to make it a 450 hah