PDA

View Full Version : rear brake locking up

lilpoppy
02-23-2003, 01:17 PM
Ok guys when I push my rear brake peddal it goes down but it won't come back up. Basically it is dragging really bad after everytime I push it. I tried spraying wd-40 on the peddal but it didn't do much so do you guys have any ideas why it would do this? I checked the spring and it seems fine.

Rip_Tear
02-23-2003, 01:22 PM
Is the resivor filled? did you check the rear brake? Maybe something is broken in that little piston for the brake?

lilpoppy
02-23-2003, 01:34 PM
i didnt check the reservoir that is probably it. Why kind of fluid do i need to use and can I use regular stuff for cars or does it need to be honda stuff?

Rip_Tear
02-23-2003, 04:15 PM
Just Dot #3 or 4 if you dont know what kind was in there before empty it and put fresh stuff in, it doesnt matter what #.

lilpoppy
02-23-2003, 05:44 PM
Ok I checked the reservoir and it was fine. I looked at my friends and it basically shoots back up really hard and myne barely moves up at all when I push down and let go of it. Basically something is really wrong with it and I cant figure it out. Any more suggestions would be appreciated.

Quadfather
02-23-2003, 07:18 PM
I would start with taking the caliper off, and cleaning it very well with some brake parts cleaner, then give it a liberal spraying down with WD40, then drain the old brake fluid, put pads back on, and add fresh fluid, bleed, and see what you got.

lilpoppy
02-23-2003, 09:14 PM
ok i will give that a shot.

02-23-2003, 10:17 PM
Never run across this problem b4 but I would think it would have to be the spring or the pivot bearing for the brake pedal or last resort maybe the little "pump" that it attaches to that moves the fluid.

Remove the spring and check it, then move the brake lever up and down and see if you can find where it is binding from.

REC
02-24-2003, 10:14 AM
take the brake pedal off and clean and re-grease the pivot. Now you will know for sure that the pivot is working correctly. If you still have a problem you know it is in the caliper. I think the pivot is what is sticking.
audi 5

02-24-2003, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by REC
take the brake pedal off and clean and re-grease the pivot. Now you will know for sure that the pivot is working correctly. If you still have a problem you know it is in the caliper. I think the pivot is what is sticking.
audi 5

Yup..remove your brake pedal completely and clean the pivot area on the frame and clean the brake pedal post up real good and grease da sucka up real good..,,Probably woulnd't hurt to clean your caliper too and do the entire job right from the begining..;)

Impala400
02-24-2003, 12:36 PM
There is nothing wrong with your brake system, its the pivot point of the pedal, take it off clean it out and use some syn-grease they use on the caliper pins to help them from locking up, and you should be good to go.

lilpoppy
02-24-2003, 07:07 PM
Well that was it. It was the pivot point. I got it all cleaned out and I use white lithium grease on it and it is working great. Is the lithium grease gonna wear off real quick or is it gonna be ok? It says it works on metal to metal parts and brake parts so I assume it is gonna be ok.