PDA

View Full Version : Looking to buy first trx250r

k00leo
08-16-2011, 07:37 AM
Looking to buy my first trx250r. I already have two 1985 atc 250r so I know some things to look for.

I can tell the differences between the two generations 86/87 and 88/89 so I would be able to correctly identify what i am getting.

Here is the main question i guess. I have been looking for a long time. Souring adds all over the internet. I have found two trx250r s which I think are possibly good deals. Which would you pick?

Here is one add:

*****1988 HONDA TRX250R, FRESH POWDERCOATED FRAME, GUSSETTED FRAME, FRESH 265cc MOTOR, PORTED CYLINDER, 38 mm AIR STRYKER CARBURETOR, BARNETT CLUTCH, FMF GOLD SERIES "FATTY" PIPE AND SILENCER, CARBON FIBER REEDS,BOYESSEN REED SPACER, JD PERFORMANCE +2 +1 EXTENDED A-ARMS, DURABLUE +2 +4 AXLE, GT THUNDER REVALVED STOCK REAR SHOCK, FULL AC CHASSIS SKID PLATE, AC SWINGARM SKID PLATE, MAIER RACE CUT PLASTIC , NEW K&N AIR FILTER, PRO DESIGN TETHER KILL SWITCH, AC FRONT RACE BUMPER, HOLESHOT XC TIRES ALL THE WAY AROUND ON ITP ALUMINUM WHEELS, OMF ALUMINUM RADIATOR SHROUDS, ALL NEW SWINGARM AND CARRIER BEARINGS AND BUSHINGS, QUAD RUNS GREAT, TRANSMISSION OIL CHANGED AND AIR FILTER CLEANED AFTER EVERY RIDE, STARTS ON 1st OR 2nd KICK , ASKING $2200 OR BEST OFFER . INTERRESTED CALL*******
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/k00leo/trx250r/3n83kc3mf5V55T05R4b6q55d44510bb7615b0.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/k00leo/trx250r/3n43p63o65W25X15S3b6q36b61ade1377156e.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/k00leo/trx250r/3k83of3lc5V55Q45W0b6qfb8905f3562316a7.jpg

OR

I have a 1986 Honda 250R ATV I am looking to sell or trade for a motorcycle. The ATV is very fast, it has a bigger carb, reeds full exhaust system. It will keep up and even beat 450's, and it's a 2 stroke. Like I said I am looking to sell this ATV or trade it for a motorcycle. If you have a bike that is around the same price and in good condition I would love to trade, but if the bike is worth more, I will be willing to trade the ATV and give some cash towards a motorcycle.

you can call or txt me at

asking $1200 (obo) or a motorcycle.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/k00leo/trx250r/3n13k33mc5Y65W15R2b8e92ae088f1b831afd.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/k00leo/trx250r/3na3mc3pe5Y65V25R6b8eb43e36fe6fa71046.jpg

I Guess it comes to wither or not i want to buy a bike that is already mildly built and seems to be maintained for more money, or buy a bike that has been ragged out and make it my own through powder coat, upgrades, new plastics, etc. for a initially cheaper price.

What would you personally do if you were going to make this decision?

C-LEIGH RACING
08-16-2011, 08:04 AM
I would forget that ragged out one, unless the owner got down into the 3 number price range.

The first one reads & looks good in the pics & you would think by the frame having new PC, then probably if there were any frame cracks they were repaired, but you can never tell. I would still haggle on the price & have CASH in hand cause money talks.

If money dont talk, why has all these Pro riders run to these new 4 poker sponsorships that they got to spend gobs of money on to keep that fool thing running.
Neil

89trx250r
08-16-2011, 11:32 AM
Im with neil on this one the first bike the 88 seems like it was much better taken care of and wont provide you with as much headache as that ratty 86

k00leo
08-16-2011, 01:18 PM
The guy in the first add, the 1988 trx250r said he is looking for $2200. What do you think the bike is realistically worth?

obviously its hard to tell because these pictures are small and its over the internet... but what do you guys think?

I would love to walk away with the bike for 1500, but i doubt that is going to happen.

4x4 AG
08-16-2011, 01:42 PM
definately the first one. and i am not sure that you will get all the way to 1500, but like they always say, Cash is King.

C-LEIGH RACING
08-16-2011, 03:01 PM
He has a lot of stuff listed on the bike, but who knows how old that stuff is.
I would want to have a close inspection of it, check it over real good & then start haggling the price.
If it is in real good shape, $1800.00 would be a good stopping point.
Bearing play, compression, ball joints, stem ?? straight, air filter, if K&N I would walk.
Get him to start it up & listen to the engine once running & let him ride off on it.
If he just cranks it up & blast off on it, I would walk, cause you know if he didnt take the time to warm it up first while your standing there, hes probably worse without anyone looking.

People that think a lot of their 250R's & take pride in what they have taken so long to rebuild, dont normally run a K&N air filter & most times dont use pump gas.
Neil

Motofool250r
08-16-2011, 03:20 PM
where are you located maybe we can direct you better to a bike forsale?

Grande Huevos
08-16-2011, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by C-LEIGH RACING
He has a lot of stuff listed on the bike, but who knows how old that stuff is.
I would want to have a close inspection of it, check it over real good & then start haggling the price.
If it is in real good shape, $1800.00 would be a good stopping point.
Bearing play, compression, ball joints, stem ?? straight, air filter, if K&N I would walk.
Get him to start it up & listen to the engine once running & let him ride off on it.
If he just cranks it up & blast off on it, I would walk, cause you know if he didnt take the time to warm it up first while your standing there, hes probably worse without anyone looking.

People that think a lot of their 250R's & take pride in what they have taken so long to rebuild, dont normally run a K&N air filter & most times dont use pump gas.
Neil i would have to agree w neil on mostly everything, see it in person look it over real good listen 2 it and see how he rides it. ...........But idk about the k&n thing???? What is wrong w k&n filters i was always under the impression that they were a very nice filter rather its a car or a bike??????? Please fill me in on this u have me curious now

Motofool250r
08-16-2011, 04:57 PM
k&n's have flaws they are not perfect around the edges some let alot of stuff right through you must use a outerwear and even then it will still suck stuff through.

DoonRider
08-16-2011, 05:28 PM
The 88. Start at $1750, if he counters don't meet him in the middle right away, go up in $50 increments. Set the anchor then reel him in to a number less than $2000. That's what I would do.

DnB_racing
08-16-2011, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by C-LEIGH RACING
Neil True for the desert dusty guys,

but a lot of east coast wet muddy riders that I know, prefer to ride with the K+N as they dont hold the water like the sponges do,

Ive sucked in water with a sopping sponge filter were the cotton drips off much better..

but I will use either one depending on were im riding, if dusty I use a uni. if wet i use a k+n, and its because I do care about the quad, and I want to take care of it the best I can under different conditions

but as far as the 2 quads, if you can get the one for 1900 its not to bad a price as long as everthing is in good usable condition and no broken cases.. if cases are broken from chain at all take 300 right of the top

slamdak8782
08-16-2011, 07:47 PM
Id hold out for something better than being both of these. There are lots of nice quads out there for sale and black plastics look horrible after a short while. Id look for one with a 310 on it.

k00leo
08-17-2011, 05:54 AM
Originally posted by slamdak8782
Id hold out for something better than being both of these. There are lots of nice quads out there for sale and black plastics look horrible after a short while. Id look for one with a 310 on it.

That's the thing though, on the east coast, where i live, there really isn't that many 250r s. Ive been searching for a while now and it literally seems like one bike pops up every month.

machwon
08-18-2011, 05:34 AM
My .02 is they both have 86 seats and the swingarm on the 88 is black? I really prefer the comfort of the 88-89's over the older versions. It also depends on where your are going to take this 250R. If you going to just do a frame up you might want to consider the cheaper one and do it they way you want it. Otherwise your have a bunch of parts you may or may not want.

slamdak8782
08-18-2011, 03:03 PM
This is true I've noticed that. If you hold out you'll be happier when the right one comes up.