View Full Version : brake pad life

bakerboyz
12-05-2001, 01:57 PM
How long does a rear disk brake pad last on a 400ex ?

Assume riding once per week

RideRed400EX
12-05-2001, 03:10 PM
If you haven't removed the parking brake the pads will last about 20 mins. . I hardly use the rear brake and I've eaten through pads during one ride. After installing a parking brake block about two months ago I haven't had to change the pads .

:cool:

400ex Magnum
12-05-2001, 07:58 PM
The life of the rear pads depends on a lot of factors. Some of these would include the type of pads (stock vs. aftermarket), type of riding (casual trail, aggressive trail, racing), and the type of environment your are riding in (sand, mud, stone roads). My stock pads lasted one ride at the sand dunes and one weekend at Wayne National Forest and were toast. Wayne tends to be real muddy and the mud is extremely hard on the pads. I have since installed solid brass pads and I have gotten 4 rides out of them and they have maybe one more left before they will also need changed. The best thing you can do is monitor the pad wear according to your riding and you will get an idea of how long they will last for you. Don't just ignore them or you will be replacing the rotor also.

hippy440
12-06-2001, 07:41 PM
mine lasted about 2 months now im using ebc kevlar they seem to be holding up well

Lil90man!!
12-07-2001, 06:13 PM
hey is it true that with some pads you have to get new rotors more often b-cuz there to hard or something??? i just put generic pads on mine for now b-cuz i didn't have a parking brake block off plate yet but now i do so the next set i have heard alot about a set or white brothers pads have any of you heard of em?? are they any good do they last??? peeps around here use those ebc severe duty i think just wonderin, casue i don't wanna pay 15-30 bux every other ride!!!

4punksdad
12-08-2001, 06:46 PM
my stock pads lasted several months..........I replaced them with ebc organic pads which lasted a very short time. I switched back to factory pads & have gotten decent life out of them. backing off the parking brake cable, or totally removing it is the key to long life.

400exJOE
12-08-2001, 06:55 PM
what is a good pad to use??? Mine are pretty shot (making noise)

12-10-2001, 08:13 AM
I'm using EBC kevlar's from marcums..