PDA

View Full Version : +4mm stroker crank w/Athena kit

JBENSON
08-16-2011, 06:53 AM
Does anybody know if a +4mm stroked crank (Hot Rods) will work with a Athena 435cc big bore kit? I have read that a +4 crank will work with a stock cylinder & piston which makes it a 424cc. This leads me to believe that a Athena big bore should work also??? If the piston clears the crank I assume it should work, if anybody has any info please comment..... Thank you.

nyates450
08-21-2011, 09:57 AM
No. You need a different piston for the strocker crank or a spacer plate under the cylinder. HotRods sells one for the stock bore or have a custom one built.
Go to thumpertalk and look in the drz section. Lots of info there on building a 480 this way.

YOURADHERE
08-23-2011, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by nyates450
No. You need a different piston for the strocker crank or a spacer plate under the cylinder. HotRods sells one for the stock bore or have a custom one built.
Go to thumpertalk and look in the drz section. Lots of info there on building a 480 this way.

This is 100% incorrect. The new 4mil crank is a short rod crank so you DO NOT need a stroker piston or spacer plate. The older 5mil crank was a long rod crank that required a stroker piston or a spacer plate to avoid contact.

To answer the original question, yes the 4mm crank will work with an Athena kit or basically any other piston/bore combination you'd like. No special stroker pistons or spacer plates needed.

JBENSON
08-24-2011, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by YOURADHERE
This is 100% incorrect. The new 4mil crank is a short rod crank so you DO NOT need a stroker piston or spacer plate. The older 5mil crank was a long rod crank that required a stroker piston or a spacer plate to avoid contact.

To answer the original question, yes the 4mm crank will work with an Athena kit or basically any other piston/bore combination you'd like. No special stroker pistons or spacer plates needed.

Thats what I thought also. That is correct, longer stroke, shorter rod. +4 Hot Rods crank, 94mm bore= 462cc stroker......Sweet! Thanks for the help.