PDA

View Full Version : Black helmet vs White helmet

YFZ-FoFiddy-TC
08-16-2011, 12:25 AM
Just curious if anybody has owned both and if there was any noticeable difference in temperature? I currently have a Matte Black Shoei VFX-W and am contemplating buying a white one. Anybody think there would be a noticeable difference in temp?

XCRacer236
08-16-2011, 06:28 PM
Yes, there is. It is just like a t-shirt or a regular hat. I had a flat black Scorpion helmet and then I switched to a blue/white One Industries. The very first day I rode with the One, it was 95 degrees. I instantly could tell a difference when I put it on, on the line. I will honestly say that black helmet was about the worst purchase I have ever made in my life.

HondaRacing83
08-16-2011, 09:34 PM
my helmet has sparkles

YFZ-FoFiddy-TC
08-16-2011, 11:14 PM
Thanks for the useful info XC. Think that post just made my decision for me, thanks.

motofreak2772
08-16-2011, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by XCRacer236
Yes, there is. It is just like a t-shirt or a regular hat. I had a flat black Scorpion helmet and then I switched to a blue/white One Industries. The very first day I rode with the One, it was 95 degrees. I instantly could tell a difference when I put it on, on the line. I will honestly say that black helmet was about the worst purchase I have ever made in my life.
You can't really compare two different brands. I'm sure the differences in padding and shell thickness would affect the temperature more than the color.
I'm sure it does have some effect but I doubt it would be noticeable. Definitely not noticeable enough to buy a whole new helmet over if the black one is still good. Unless you have the money to waste, just wait until you need to buy a new one to change colors(and let us know if it actually made a difference).
I've never had problems with heat and I live in Florida. I even have long hair.. The ventilation designed in the helmets do a pretty good at keeping my head cool. If yours isn't, I would suggest riding faster haha. But seriously is it actually hot while you're riding or just when you are sitting around?

Zakradu398
08-16-2011, 11:49 PM
I've worn a black one and a yellow back to back and my black one gets hot as hell, yellow not so much.

motofreak2772
08-16-2011, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by Zakradu398
I've worn a black one and a yellow back to back and my black one gets hot as hell, yellow not so much.
I guess I was wrong haha. Well then, I guess just sell the black one to someone who races indoors.

Zakradu398
08-16-2011, 11:59 PM
I don't think the heat matters as much as the sunlight.

EDIT: When I buy helmets, I look for safety and airflow..

Zakradu398
08-17-2011, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by motofreak2772
I guess I was wrong haha. Well then, I guess just sell the black one to someone who races indoors.

Its not worth selling a helmet over, but its slighuly cooler.

Slightly, damn its late..

motofreak2772
08-17-2011, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by Zakradu398
Its not worth selling a helmet over, but its slighuly cooler.

Slightly, damn its late..
Yeah. But wait, were your black and yellow helmets both the same brand and model? If not then I think the main thing with a cooler helmet is the ventilation. But I'm pretty sure the Shoei VFX-W has sufficient air flow. Probably the best on the market for the safety it provides.

XCRacer236
08-17-2011, 09:31 AM
It doesn't matter what brand it is, if a helmet is sitting in the direct sunlight for an hour while waiting for the race to start, a black one gets hotter than a light colored helmet. When your sitting on the line at an XC race under the sun when its 95-100 degrees, it gets hot. I went from a solid black that was almost unbearable to an almost all white one, and was a HUGE difference. It's simple common sense..

Really love the way people talk out of their asses. :rolleyes:

quad2xtreme
08-17-2011, 09:58 AM
It doesn't matter what brand it is, if a helmet is sitting in the direct sunlight for an hour while waiting for the race to start, a black one gets hotter than a light colored helmet. It's simple common sense..

X2...was going to comment...wondered if anyone stayed in school. :rolleyes:

YFZ-FoFiddy-TC
08-17-2011, 11:13 PM
My helmet does fine when I'm moving but I'm just wondering if you would feel a noticeable difference with either situation. Standing still it gets hot as hell but generally when I'm sitting still my helmet is off so it's not as big of a deal. Guess I'm more curious about when you're moving. I think I'll run a nice comparison for everyone on this. I'm ordering a white one and I'll look for a little thermometer to maybe stick in each helmet while riding. Do a few different temp tests and see the results. Thanks guys.

CJM
08-18-2011, 05:59 AM
Dunno, have black helmet and it doesnt bother me at all. Would I notice a difference if it was another color-probably I guess.

motofreak2772
08-18-2011, 08:54 PM
It doesn't matter what brand it is, if a helmet is sitting in the direct sunlight for an hour while waiting for the race to start, a black one gets hotter than a light colored helmet. When your sitting on the line at an XC race under the sun when its 95-100 degrees, it gets hot. I went from a solid black that was almost unbearable to an almost all white one, and was a HUGE difference. It's simple common sense..

Yeah.. I'm such a dumb ***. Obviously it would get hotter, but it's hard to say by how much. And enough to actually buy a whole new helmet over? Which is what the OP was asking. You are the one talking out of your ***..
Just because the shell absorbs a little more heat it doesn't necessarily mean that the heat would get through the padding and what not. I wasn't even talking about letting the helmet sit out in the sun either. Who does that to their helmets?? He wanted to know if it would make a difference riding. And I'm sure the wind would cool the helmet down just as fast as the sun heats it up so it wouldn't make a big difference.

DnB_racing
08-18-2011, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by motofreak2772
Yeah.. I'm such a dumb ***. Obviously it would get hotter, but it's hard to say by how much. And enough to actually buy a whole new helmet over? Which is what the OP was asking. You are the one talking out of your ***..
Just because the shell absorbs a little more heat it doesn't necessarily mean that the heat would get through the padding and what not. I wasn't even talking about letting the helmet sit out in the sun either. Who does that to their helmets?? He wanted to know if it would make a difference riding. And I'm sure the wind would cool the helmet down just as fast as the sun heats it up so it wouldn't make a big difference. with the insulation the inside heat isn't going to be very much different, take away the inch or more of foam insulation and of course there is a difference, we are talking about heat radiating through thick insulation not on the outside
, and its a small round surface, and the shape helps reflect more then a large flat surface
and almost no difference with blue or red but a slight difference with all white or silver, if you add colors to the white it isn't going to be much different then if it was all colored,
if you put 2 identical type helmets with different colors and put them in the sun , and put a temp strip on the insulation to read the inside temp, there would only be a slight difference,

it would take a long time before it went through to your head

not enough to spend 200 - 400 bucks for

if there is such a big difference of heat that radiates through foam insulation then why arnt all coolers white?

and if you have that much time just sitting still, with no ventilation moving through it to allow heat to radiate through the insulation, than you have time to get it of your melon