PDA

View Full Version : Jetting help!

trx400Rider
08-15-2011, 10:36 PM
Hey guys I just picked up a 2006 model honda 450r, It has a hmf slip on, and has not been jetted yet. It hesitates when you pinn it, and pops on decel. I live 1000-1500 ft above sea level. I plan on ordering a stg 1&2 dyno jet kit and a velocity air filter kit for it soon so any help for jetting would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

DnB_racing
08-16-2011, 03:20 AM
Originally posted by trx400Rider
Hey guys I just picked up a 2006 model honda 450r, It has a hmf slip on, and has not been jetted yet. It hesitates when you pinn it, and pops on decel. I live 1000-1500 ft above sea level. I plan on ordering a stg 1&2 dyno jet kit and a velocity air filter kit for it soon so any help for jetting would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks! I prefer the keihin jets,

but for the bog when you pin it is from the leak jet stock is 70 if I remember right , but it runs better with a 55 leak jet,

and you planing on doing mods to the air intake or just filter, are you sure its never been jetted?
what size main is in now?

trx400Rider
08-16-2011, 11:10 PM
I plan on putting a velocity air filter, which is basically a k&n, and an outerwears with the air lid on. Might get a EHS racing lid later on. it has never been jetted, and I have yet to take it apart to see what type of jets are in it.
Leak jet? Is that a pilot jet??

Does the dyno jet kit come with a needle? Pilot jet? If not where would I get a pilot jet?
What it does is say if your going 1/8th throttle 1/4 throttle or any throttle position then just pinn it, it basically cuts out for a second, then just takes right off like a rocket. Werid as hell I know.

DnB_racing
08-17-2011, 02:16 AM
Originally posted by trx400Rider
I plan on putting a velocity air filter, which is basically a k&n, and an outerwears with the air lid on. Might get a EHS racing lid later on. it has never been jetted, and I have yet to take it apart to see what type of jets are in it.
Leak jet? Is that a pilot jet??

Does the dyno jet kit come with a needle? Pilot jet? If not where would I get a pilot jet?
What it does is say if your going 1/8th throttle 1/4 throttle or any throttle position then just pinn it, it basically cuts out for a second, then just takes right off like a rocket. Werid as hell I know. not weired at all the hesitation is the leak jet,

goggle leak jet, it will explain its function and how its related to the AP, better then I can explain, its located in the float bowl

A larger leak jet allows more fuel back to the bowl, and less fuel to the AP nozzle. A smaller leak jet allows less fuel back to the bowl, and more to the AP nozzle. A such, a larger leak jet leads to shorter squirt duration/volume and a smaller leak jet leads longer squirt duration/volume.

as far as if the dyno come with needle , yes it does, but its not a real good needle, I prefer the NCVQ Keihin needle and jets, I have had much better luck tuning with original Keihin jets over any other type,
ive had off brand keihin knockoffs, be much smaller then a original, and I dont want to run lean because of inconsistent standards

but some do use the dyno jets with success, just remember that they are different sizes then the others,and you cant use dyno jets with other brand needles,and you will have to use a jet comparison chart to get the right size

but if your looking for one kit instead of just using assorted keihin jets...if it was me I would do the HRC kit before the dyno,
the HRC needle isnt bad, and the kit comes with all Keihin and a smaller leak jet and accelerator pump adjustments to get rid of the hesitation your having, and pilot and mains