PDA

View Full Version : paint bumper and grab bar?

seanmccullough4
08-15-2011, 07:08 PM
hey anybody kno wat to use to paint bumpers? and anybody have pics of a 400ex with a stock bumper painted

HondaPohl
08-15-2011, 07:27 PM
If you have a show quad, I would say PC. If its a trail ride, use the ole rattle can.

seanmccullough4
08-15-2011, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by HondaPohl
If you have a show quad, I would say PC. If its a trail ride, use the ole rattle can.

i trail ride almost everyday so if i use just ol rattle can lol would the paint come off?

CJM
08-15-2011, 08:15 PM
Yes it will come off due to scratches and stuff unless you paint it really, really, really good. Powdercoating will hold up much better but may run you about 100 bucks.

seanmccullough4
08-15-2011, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Yes it will come off due to scratches and stuff unless you paint it really, really, really good. Powdercoating will hold up much better but may run you about 100 bucks.

ill give it a shot, i just wana paint my stock bumper black instead of the grayish color

Kovatch
08-16-2011, 08:39 AM
Call around to some local shops about powedercoating. They may have a larger batch of stuff they are PC'ing & only charge you $30-40.

You'll want to sand the PC or paint off the bumper/grab bar, clean it, prime it twice, spray it three-four times and maybe even put a clear spray over it. I did my beadlock rings this route & it lasts about 2 rides until paint comes off.

PC'ing the a lot more durable. IMO, it's worth the $$ over spray paint.

chronicsmoke
08-17-2011, 08:26 AM
I am in the process of doing a few beadlock rings. I'm torn between re-powdering them, or painting them with a paint gun with somekind of good quality black paint/ clear coat.

PC is so hard to get off, I've been sandblasting for hours.. So i thought about the painting option, as I have all of the equipment.

I know that the good paint through a paint gun with a clear coat(or 2) would be better than any rattle can. But how much better?

My rings only lasted me 4 months (PC) and are chipped/dented pretty good already, so If the good paint will last that long I'd be satisfied.

anybody have experience painting stuff the right way? How durable would it be??