PDA

View Full Version : Hello to all and a little advice

bcleveland
08-15-2011, 02:58 PM
This is my first post and thought I would get some advice on my build. I have a 07 400 ex. I stipped it completely down about 5 years ago with plans of building it back like I wanted. Instead I got married, bought a house had a little bot all the stuff that comes with getting older and it just sat there on the back burner. Now its time to pick up where I left off. My goal is to build some what of a sleeper. I already have a few mods done engine wise. I put in a Hotcams stage 2 cam, JE stock bore 12-1 piston, head has been mildly ported. Stock carb with k&n filter and jet kit. Im useing the stock head pipe that has been matched to the head and deburred in all the transitions. My first question is I would like to do a carb swap. What do you reccomend. Next what would be a good slip on im not looking for the most expensive but whats gonna give me the most bang for the buck. Also have a new set of 450r shocks. Everything else is stock. So what other mods and tricks would be worth me looking into. Im not gonna be racing just joy riding and trails. What are some of the suppliers that will help out the budget minded rider. Some of the stuff I have looked into are outrageous. Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks Brad Cleveland

CJM
08-15-2011, 03:33 PM
04-06 450r carb, you will need to buy an adapter to fit the airbox side of the carb (member ZRpilot makes them) or figure out a way to make your own.

Id buy an HMF exhaust, well built and decently priced.

I assume your aware you cant run a 12:1 piston on regular old gas station gas-even 93. Thats gonna need some 100 octane or better.

I would also look into adding a larger oil tank, larger oil cooler of some sort to combat the heat the 12:1 pistons gonna create.

matts27
08-15-2011, 05:05 PM
I'd get a SPAL fan just for the piece of mind to help cool some of the oil and move some air.

Cheap suppliers, keep searching the internet (cheap cycles, rocky mountain, bike bandit,ebay, craigslist... few examples)

Also the honda for sale section on the bottom of this site, might find a good deal. Matt

matts27
08-15-2011, 05:05 PM
double post, sorry

flyboy1294
08-15-2011, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by CJM
04-06 450r carb, you will need to buy an adapter to fit the airbox side of the carb (member ZRpilot makes them) or figure out a way to make your own.

He needs the 04-05 carb, CJM. They switched to the 40mm FCR in 06. ;)

CJM
08-15-2011, 07:05 PM
I hit the 6 by accident, thanks for the correction fly :cool:

flyboy1294
08-15-2011, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by CJM
I hit the 6 by accident, thanks for the correction fly :cool:

Anytime, just trying to keep you on your toes. ;)

tri5ron
08-15-2011, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by bcleveland
My goal is to build some what of a sleeper. Also have a new set of 450r shocks. So what other mods and tricks would be worth me looking into. Im not gonna be racing just joy riding and trails. What are some of the suppliers that will help out the budget minded rider. Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks Brad Cleveland

For a trail ridden machine, 12:1 is a bit of overkill,
AND it does create it's own host of issues... which in return, kind of kills the "Budget minded rider" part.

Here's what 12:1 causes, (and ultimately requires more cash, for supporting equipment, to be able to RELIABLY handle the high compression).

1- Heat, and A LOT of it.
Especially on a trail ridden bike that most likely will see some significant time in 2nd, 3rd, and some low speed 4th gears. This means you will need to spend more cash on larger oil tanks, coolers, and Spal fans, just to keep it from burning up.

2- Detonation on pump gas.
It's like smacking your piston with tiny Ball-peen hammers.
You will NEED to run expensive race gas, and that gets old fast.
Bring all your own extra fuel cans, and never use anyone elses fuel or you can damage the engine.

3- You will NEED to have the GTT HD head studs installed,... or you WILL be blowing head gaskets.
Translation= more cost.

Anything under 11:1 should be able to easily and reliably run on 91 - 93 octane, (cheaper fuel), will not require the HD studs, (less build cost),and does not necessarily need extra cooling.
(of course, a spal fan is never a BAD thing,... and they are fairly cheap too.)

Remember, We are just responding to your statement of "budget minded", "Trail riding", "joy riding".

The 450r shocks you have are a good choice, and if you have stock length A-arms, you might want to consider some aftermarket springs, set-up for your riding weight.
(Especially if you weigh less than 160 lbs.)
If you are 180+lbs,.. AND,... you have +2 A-arms,...
the stock 450r springs will probably be ok.

YFZ shocks are also a popular budget minded choice, but they do require more modification to get them to fit properly.

Another excellent addition, is a decent steering stabilizer.
This will compliment the upgraded shocks and springs nicely. Greatly reducing "arm pump", bump steer, upper body fatigue, and generally making for a much more enjoyable ride.

Trail riding means Rocks, logs, ruts, whoops, and all kinds of things to smack the bottom of your quad, and bend brake rotors, sprockets, etc.
A good .250 thick aftermarket Skid Plate is highly recommended.
At LEAST a swinger Skid, if you do not want to do the full length belly and A-arm skids.

Next, Nerf Bars.
These will save your ***, and prevent you from injury.
Remember, you've got a wife and "bot" at home, and they need their "Bread-winner" to be working, and bringing home the dinner on the table,.... not laid up in a hospital bed in traction from broken ankles, legs, etc.

Wrap-around hand guards are also nice..., especially when your buddy who just got his new tires passes you, and hits you with a full roost of tennis ball sized rocks. (go ahead,....ask me how I know this). haha.

hope this helps

Oh,... and BTW,
Congrats on the little boy, and Welcome to the forums.

bcleveland
08-17-2011, 01:46 PM
Thanks for the advice. I done all my engine mods a while back total the engine has 2 good summers of running on it. And one summer with the mods. So far its preformed perfect. I am going to up grade the cooling system with a larger cooler and the spal fan. I will prob go to the larger oil tank mainly because they look cool. I have been reading all the stickies and the carb swap is pretty straight forward so thats what direction Im going with there. My next question is i am only running the front 450 shocks what it help to use the rear to? I read it will lower the ride height some. But I think I would like the look a little better with the rear down just a touch. Also I am replacing the steering stem it has been tweaked a little I found a 450 stem used for a fair price, doesnt the 450 stem fit the 400? Thanks again for your help I just dropped the frame off at the powder coaters so wont be long now before I get started.