PDA

View Full Version : clutcb woulnt engage

Speed37
08-14-2011, 09:22 PM
Well just got my new motor back and it runs great... but my clutch woulnt engage... the basket/springs/pressure plate is all good. Butttt. The nut that screws on to hold the basket on is chewed up. Thescrew is kinda tapered a tad and the tapered part is chewed up, so would that do anything? My clutch cable is fine. The little pin puller is okay. So what could it be!

Speed37
08-15-2011, 05:49 AM
Anybody have input on this thing?

CJM
08-15-2011, 08:37 AM
Well that nut being effed up could be an issue of course.

Have you tried adjusting the cable, both at the lever and at the engine?

Speed37
08-15-2011, 10:07 AM
Yeah I tried both adjustments. Idk tho

CJM
08-15-2011, 10:11 AM
Are you sure you assembled the clutch properly?

The little (forgive me I dont know the tech name) button that pulls out goes under the pressure plate and the last disc in the clutch pack goes into the outer fingers of the basket.

Speed37
08-15-2011, 04:51 PM
Yeah i put it right. But see i seen videos where people line up all the clutch plates. What is the downfall of doing it where they all line up?

CJM
08-15-2011, 05:32 PM
It doesnt grab properly, not really sure tbh. Manual states last plate goes in fingers so thats what Ive always done.

Speed37
08-15-2011, 05:42 PM
ok CJM, Do you thin not putting enough oil in it would cause it not to engage?

CJM
08-15-2011, 05:44 PM
Not really, it would still try and grind and such.

Chances are you assembled something wrong and its causing it to not engage.

Baileygunns
08-15-2011, 06:52 PM
Doesn't mater if the last disc is in the shallow slot or not... It is supposed to quiet clutch chatter but doesn't effect the way the clutch engages..

How grooved where the fingers on the clutch basket? You can file them smooth a time or two depending on how bad the serrated edge is before you have to replace it.

I would take the cover off and make sure you have it all put back together correctly.

Speed37
08-15-2011, 08:09 PM
Everything is in the right order here. Now there is a nut that holds the basket on. right? Number 15 on a OEM chart. Ok the part that is like tapered or like looks like a ring on the end of the nut? Yeah its chewed up? IDK if that could be like cocking the clutch sideways, and not letting it engage correctly? And! How about the arm inside the case? I see that it looks to be like a valley on the arm itsself on the inside? Does the pin puller thing have to go inside the little valley thing on the arm or what?

Speed37
08-16-2011, 05:13 AM
Could i have posistioned the arm wrong? And thereforth not letting the puller like move correctly/

Speed37
08-16-2011, 05:30 PM
anybody>?

400exrip
08-16-2011, 06:44 PM
I believe on a 400ex when you take the clutch side cover off that you have to turn the clutch release arm .counterclockwise to be able to take to clutch side cover off.

So when you put it back on you would have to turn the clutch release arm the way you had it when you took it off then turn it back the way it was for it to catch that little valley you were talkin bout.

I think a long time ago I had this problem with my 400ex, when you pull it does it not move at all and real stiff, if so that is what's wrong cause that is what was wrong with mine, and why it would not work on mine.

So try taking the side cover back off and doing that if that is not the problem then it has to be that bolt that is chewed up.

CJM
08-16-2011, 06:48 PM
Oh yes, duh! You did make sure you put the detent area of the clutch lever arm inside the little knob thing-right?

400exrip is right, you gotta take the arm and turn it the opposite way and as you put the cover on so that when it releases you catch that knob.

Speed37
08-17-2011, 10:10 AM
So the little knob on the puller is supposed to go into the valley thing on the arm? Can't u just line the puller with that valley thing on the arm? Then put the cover on?

CJM
08-17-2011, 06:41 PM
Yes its supposed to go in there. I have always lined it up and made sure it went into place-this is probably the issue your having-its not lined up and grabbing right.

cody13x
08-27-2011, 06:32 PM
im having this exact problem with my 400. long story short it was stolen from me, i got it back, re painted frame did all the fancy stuff, quad sat for 2 years, i thought the clutches were just froze up from sitting so i rode it and they are still stuck. my clutch lever flops back and fourth and clutches wont disengage. i took the clutches all out and put them back together making sure the clutch puller rod was in place and everything, snapped one of the 5 bolts the clutch springs go on, so tomorrow's task is easy-outing the bolt. but now i will make sure that valley is lined up with clutch lifter

Speed37
08-27-2011, 09:52 PM
ok.... the arm seems to be like grabbing the clutch lifter/puller, but still no engage... :( Help?

Speed37
08-28-2011, 06:48 AM
anybody? This is reallly making me upset

Speed37
08-28-2011, 02:24 PM
Cjm? Rip??