PDA

View Full Version : HMF.....packing

nelzar13
08-14-2011, 07:39 PM
so im thinking my quad is loud as F and maybe its time to repack? being that i bought this exhaust used i have nothing to base it off of as far as what a new one sounds like....(so might as well check) So if i pop this thing open tomorrow what the hell am i looking for? holes in the packing? missing packing? desintigrated or burnt packing? no packing? im well aware of the whole rivet situation and have all the tools to get it back together once i open it up. So thats all taken care of.... input...? pic tures of bad/worn packing, for lack of a better word...

thanks!:chinese:

Scro
08-14-2011, 07:53 PM
The packing should cover the length of the canister. As it begins to wear out, it will be pushed and compacted toward the end of the pipe most of the time.

Zakradu398
08-14-2011, 09:25 PM
Will also be real dark and saturated with carbon if its bad.

jake"08"400
08-14-2011, 11:11 PM
Also if you do repack which I would after pulling it all apart get ready for that nice fast food restaurant smell coming from your exhaust for a lil while lol

nelzar13
08-15-2011, 04:57 AM
mmmmmm cant wait for that !

mitchamus
08-15-2011, 07:42 AM
You could send it to HMF and have them repack it.

http://hmfracing.com/repair-services

I live close so i drop mine off there. Always looks brand new when i get it back with new labels and everything.

Zakradu398
08-15-2011, 08:20 AM
^^ lol??

nelzar13
08-15-2011, 08:01 PM
yeah id rather pack it my self, im sure the guys at hmf do a great job packing canisters all day long and can do it in 4 minutes flat, but id rather learn something and have it take 20 minutes... that way my machines only down for a half an hour vs a week or so.. just my reasoning.. maybe once its all scratched up ill send it in for the refurb..... thanks gents

nelzar13
08-19-2011, 05:44 PM
so i took my exhaust apart and repacked it. The first inch or so on the inlet side was pretty hagard and freyed but the rest was decent... All in all i came to the conclusion i didnt need to repack it, since it sounds exactly the same...! At least i know there new packing in there ? :macho