PDA

View Full Version : Going through carrier bearings like their candy...

Zakradu398
08-13-2011, 05:04 PM
I've had my all balls bearings in my carrier for about 8-10 hours of riding and their gone already. My carrier is slightly grooved out inside it too from the last bearing exploding. could this be the culprit?

Stickman400
08-13-2011, 05:37 PM
I don't think All Balls bearings are very good. I bought a set of them awhile back and they went out within 1 or 2 months after I put them in. I can usually go a year or more without replacing mine. I'd say that, coupled with your carrier is enough to cause your problem.

DnB_racing
08-13-2011, 06:05 PM
are you sure your axle is true? and how are you installing them? with a press or a socket and hammer?

and did you clean all the old contaminated grease out and re grease with all new grease?

8-10 hours, even cheap bearings that are properly grease should go much much longer then that,

all balls arnt that bad that they would grenade that soon, ive used in the past and got years out of them

CJM
08-13-2011, 06:20 PM
Id say the fact your carrier was a bit galled up is the problem, but perhaps the axle isnt true or you did a poor job of installing the bearings.

Zakradu398
08-13-2011, 06:29 PM
carrier complete washed with brake cleaner, flushed with clean kerosene. Dried, bearings pressed in and completely pack with grease and reaasemble??

ATV403
08-13-2011, 07:07 PM
Your tube between the bearings has probably been slightly crushed from overtightening the axle nuts. This allows a side load on the bearings and roller bearings do not like sideloads.

slightlybent47
08-13-2011, 08:24 PM
You can’t repack a sealed bearing. I’ve had great luck with the stock sealed bearings.

witech
08-13-2011, 11:00 PM
The culprit to repeat bearing failures is usually a bent center axle or the center tube getting wear and making it a few thousands narrower. When you tighten the axle nut in puts a side load on the bearing balls. An sign is an axle that gets loose every time you ride or turns harder after tightening. They might even have specs on tube width in the service manual. If your to cheap to get a center tube you can put a very thin machine washer next tot he tube before you install the last bearing.

And yes you can clean and regrease sealed axle bearings. Its just a matter of carefully prying out the lip seals with a pick or small screw driver.
Use a water resistant grease . Once you take them apart you will see how little grease comes in a new bearing.