PDA

View Full Version : Clutch plates replaced, clutch lever not working now

Vampire2800
08-12-2011, 10:31 PM
I know this is probably in the wrong forum as it pertains to my son's 2011 Raptor 250R Special Edition. If I'm not mistaken, the Raptor 250 has the same clutch assembly as the YFZ450. I took everything apart, changed the clutch plates & pressure plates, put it all back together & filled it with oil. Now, if you start it in Nuetral, you're ok, but as soon as you shift into ANY gear from Nuetral it tries to throw you off the back of it. Even with the clutch lever pulled all the way in. Did I miss a step here or something? It's like the clutch lever is non-exsistant now. Hmmm........ Any help would be greatly appreciated & thanks in advance.

Vampire2800
08-13-2011, 10:39 AM
OK, for those about to ROCK.

There's a bolt in the middle of the outside clutch cover that can be adjusted. You need to adjust this bolt while pulling the clutch repeatedly so that there is enough "give" on the outside clutch cover. Adjust it so that the outside clutch cover comes completely off the clutch plates that you just replaced. This will fix your problem. You might also want to screw the springs in all the way & back them out 1 to 1.5 turns. This will save your left forearm in the future.

RichM1983
08-27-2011, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by Vampire2800
OK, for those about to ROCK.

There's a bolt in the middle of the outside clutch cover that can be adjusted. You need to adjust this bolt while pulling the clutch repeatedly so that there is enough "give" on the outside clutch cover. Adjust it so that the outside clutch cover comes completely off the clutch plates that you just replaced. This will fix your problem. You might also want to screw the springs in all the way & back them out 1 to 1.5 turns. This will save your left forearm in the future.

Wait are you suggesting that the retaining bolts that hold the clutch springs in should be backed off 1-1.5 turns. That is very bad advice!

I did this exact same thing on my trx450. Somehow I lost a washer that goes between the thrust bearing for the clutch and the clutch engagement rod. If that makes sense? lol

Vampire2800
08-27-2011, 08:34 PM
No, Rich. I'm talking about the bolts that attach the springs to the boss plate. The washers are glued on or something because they don't come off. I tried to take them off & clean them, but failed. They don't budge. It's almost like they are part of the bolt itself.

Also, the bolt that contacts the push rod running through the middle of the crankcase. That needs adjusted as well. That bolt is what controls where the clutch engages.