PDA

View Full Version : More bearing carrier questions.

250ex 2010
08-11-2011, 08:48 PM
So from the sounds of my rearend it is time to change the bearings. It is an 02 and they have never been changed so i no that i may b in for a little surprise. I have read many posts on how its done but they all seem to end once the axle is out. what do u do once the axle is out does the carrier just slide out of the swingarm? I am planning on just ordering an entire carrier because i dont want to mess with freezing and pressing the bearings in, plus the new carrier has a greas zerk. am i dumb for doing this or should i just buy the bearings?? sorry for so many questions i just want to make sure i no what i am getting myself into to make sure i want to do it myself or have a shop do it. thanx.

AtvKid4Eva
08-12-2011, 06:24 AM
Its a very easy job. Once you remove the axle and all the components there is a snap ring that hold the carrier in. remove the snap ring and tap the old carrier out, it will just slide out. Then replace with the new one and reinstall the axle and components. VERY easy job that i recommend you do yourself. and yes definitely but the whole carrier assembly its much easier. Good Luck!

chronicsmoke
08-12-2011, 06:52 AM
we just went through this at the shop, a guy I work with's son has an '05.. and EVERYTHING on the rear end was seized. I mean EVERYTHING.

Brake Hub, seized to the axle
Lock Nut, Seized to the axle
Inner Race, Seized to the axle

Dont even bother asking about the pivot bolt..

That's what happens when you don't grease anything..

Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst.. we had to cut the lock nut and sprocket hub off the axle..

powerbomb400
08-12-2011, 06:06 PM
If you can get the brake rotor off you might have to cut the axle off between the rotor hub and the carrier. Then take the snap ring off and knock the carrier out. I figure if you could cut the spocket hub off you have the tools to cut the brake rotor hub off.