PDA

View Full Version : head gasket

01boneless
08-11-2011, 03:43 PM
ok guys any thing i need to look out for when changing the head gasket on my ex i know broken bolts and retiming and stuf like that. what about valves piston any of those to worry about like removing or any thing and about how long should this take?

DnB_racing
08-11-2011, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by 01boneless
ok guys any thing i need to look out for when changing the head gasket on my ex i know broken bolts and retiming and stuf like that. what about valves piston any of those to worry about like removing or any thing and about how long should this take? it all depends on what your looking for in the end,

I dont do to much, if im pulling head im doing piston and rings, checking small end of rod, side and up and down in crank,checking cylinder for any marks and cross hatch, checking for round and on a flat surface, valve seals all new gaskets, and if im changing thickness of gaskets or decking im degreeing it, and doing a sqush check

and im specing and documenting all measurements to compare the next tear down, then im doing a leak down test, but you can always do more if you feel like something is in need of inspection

Zeb400EX
08-12-2011, 01:09 AM
be sure not to over tighten your head bolts when you put it back together. most guys on here will tell you that a 416 wont need hd head studs but when i put my back together i guess i over tighten my bolts and pop the threads on the stud closest to the exhaust side. so i had to get the hd studs.

you probably alread know,but put a head gasket from a xr400 on it and it gives you a little more compression.

AtvKid4Eva
08-12-2011, 06:28 AM
if all your gonna do is just take it apart and replace the gasket and reassemble, then you wont need any other parts. I would put some HD head studs in while i had the cylinder off, but that's just me. Usually the studs start to stretch and pull out, which is what causes the leaking head gasket. Ive never seen one just start to leak out of nowhere for no reason. Pretty easy job tho. Good luck.

01boneless
08-12-2011, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by AtvKid4Eva
if all your gonna do is just take it apart and replace the gasket and reassemble, then you wont need any other parts. I would put some HD head studs in while i had the cylinder off, but that's just me. Usually the studs start to stretch and pull out, which is what causes the leaking head gasket. Ive never seen one just start to leak out of nowhere for no reason. Pretty easy job tho. Good luck.

i think its was just a faulty (cheap) gasket the mechanic use a cometic but i dont think it was mls type