PDA

View Full Version : tires for my new truck

1986trx70
08-10-2011, 10:06 AM
okay so i recently bought my first truck, its 1991 ford ranger 4x4, with 96,000 miles, power everything and leather seats, im going to change my wheels and tires, i have 1000 dollars roughly to spend on a set, which kinda of tires would you buy? im not lifting it so there only gonna be 31's, i have been looking at maxxis bighorns, and bfg mud terrain km2's, i also have to buy wheels so im gonna get some eagle bullet holes, whats the ideal set of tires? i need something that wont effect my gas that much, something with minimal road noise, and something that looks aggressive but it also has to be good off road and in the mud.

thanks for any help!!

DnB_racing
08-10-2011, 10:15 AM
a lot depends on how many miles you put on it per year,

the better the wear the less the off road traction,its hard to have both great road wear and noise and great of road traction they are 2 complete different tires,

and if you plan on using in snow, you dont want to go very wide,again this will have a effect on the off road,

for 1000 dollars dont expect very much if you also buying wheels, your looking at closer to 1300-1500 for something good after all the balance and wheel alignment, and any road hazard

i just spent over 850 for tires for my ranger and another 150 for alignment and front end work,

but mine take 16 inch tires, if your is 15 it will be less

johnnyquad17
08-10-2011, 10:20 AM
I have cooper discovery stt and I love them. They are not that noisy and have a very aggresive tread. I also looked at the bfg mt's but was lead to the cooper's and I am very happy. My milage did go down about a mile a gallon over AT but to me it is worth it. Hope it helps and good luck. I have a 07 Tundra fyi.

1986trx70
08-10-2011, 11:38 AM
well my brother is a mechanic so he can balance them and mount them so that will keep cost down, he can also align the front end.

thanks for the help

CJM
08-10-2011, 06:45 PM
A mud tire will get ok mileage, expect your mpg to drop about 1-3 whatever the average is. Dont expect good life out of them-they are soft and will wear more than other types of tires, also noise comes with the territory.

You really want an MT, the best mud tire I ever ran was the firestone destination MT. Unbelievable traction, never had an issue and they are tough. Coopers are good too but the firestones better.

I think the best thing would be an all terrain tire thats pretty aggressive. Coopers, firestone destination AT, bridgestone duelers, dick cepek fun countrys, etc.

Look at tirerack.com and check out the reviews and surveys on specific tires before you make a choice. Just remember an AT wont grip as much as an MT but it will last MUCh longer, it will also be better in the snow due to the fact its not as soft, also will get better mpg and have less road noise. Your ranger takes 15's unless you buy some 16" wheels. I knw the largest size oyur gonna fit without a lift is a 31-32" tire, 33's will fit if you cut the front fenders.

brian76708
08-10-2011, 06:55 PM
Goodyear duratracs FTW look up reviews. Plus if you live in a state with snow they do awesome in it. My next tire only wish they made a 32 11.5 r 15 duratrac but you don't want that size so your good ha.

XCRacer236
08-10-2011, 10:45 PM
Nitto Terra Grapplers all the way. I will swear by those tires,

1986trx70
08-11-2011, 10:19 PM
thanks for all the help, i will look into some of those tires, not a fan of the terra graplers but thanks for the thought

bbender85
08-12-2011, 09:35 AM
mickey thompson MTZ. i'm on my second set under my super duty... first set went 60,000 miles before i blew one out on the freeway hitting something; weren't even on the wear bars yet but i replaced them all anyways.