PDA

View Full Version : header pipe on yfz450 hot

dblack13
08-10-2011, 04:59 AM
Does anyone else have a problem with the header pipe on the yfz450 getting too hot? I know it gets hot, but by the end of the day I will have 2nd degree burns/blisters on the side of my calf, this is through the socks, pants and boots. A recent friend has the 07 and his leg doesn't get burnt. We are going to use an infrared camera to check the difference in heat of the two bikes. Is there anything i can do to cut down on heat. I have wrapped the header area in tape from yamaha dealer, but it doesn't help.

400exrip
08-10-2011, 06:02 PM
Try putting header wrap on the header that should cool it down a lot, If that helps but you want to cool it down more put Engine Ice coolant in it that should cool it down a lot more.

But any aftermarket race coolant should do fine I just hear a lot that The Engine Ice brand is the best.

If you are not running a good synthetic oil in it change it and put good oil in it, I reccomend Bel Ray 4 stroke race oil or Royal Purple synthetic oil

CJM
08-10-2011, 08:01 PM
Could possibly be jetted way to lean and causing things to get hotter than normal.

dblack13
08-16-2011, 02:03 PM
Thanks everyone. I did pick up some different header tape and I do agree I may be lean because I am in the process of rejetting as soon as I get my case back from the oil upgrade. I assume you can get the engine ice most anywhere. I was using yamahalube.

HondaPohl
08-16-2011, 05:55 PM
LIke CJM said about it running too lean. I would look into it sooner than later because ultimately you can burn your piston up. Check your plug and see if theres anything left on the electrode.