PDA

View Full Version : Breaking tire bead

GAZ-V-21
08-09-2011, 05:51 PM
Anyone have any good ideas for breaking tire bead? Tried at work on tire machine it wont work around such a small rim.

Scro
08-09-2011, 05:57 PM
Lay the tire on the ground, and place a 2x4 right next to the bead of the rim. While you have someone holding it to make sure it doesn't slip, drive your car up the 2x4. Most of the time it will pop right off. It will help if the tire isn't completely flat.

NMills
08-09-2011, 06:14 PM
I put mine under my truck with a 2X4 on top and used a bottle jack to raise my truck... worked well..... and a different time i used the forklift at work and a brick wall... And if worse comes to worse..... cut the tires off if you are just throwing them away...

Thumpin440ex
08-09-2011, 08:22 PM
I cut the tires off...

John

HondaPohl
08-09-2011, 09:35 PM
If you ride alot and will be changing tires often, you can buy a bead breaker at harbor freight for pennies. They work ok.

CJM
08-09-2011, 09:38 PM
Tire machine :) Course not everyone has an industrial one they can use for free.

250x_kyle
08-09-2011, 10:03 PM
i use an adjustable race car tire bead breaker

Minndave13
08-09-2011, 10:50 PM
I live in a bigger city, and what I do is go to a tire store and ask them just to break the bead, but tell them you do not need the tire off of the wheel, that you can do. Usually they will break the bead for free, (make sure to tell them you are not concerned if they scratch the rim- my rims are scratched so this is not a big deal). Walmart has broken my beads for free, even a local tire shop has broken my beads for free. Some are starting to charge for this but I do have the ability to try others. This works if you have the time. I did see on you tube that a guy used his snow plow to break the bead ( it took him quite a while, though). I've tried the 2x4 and it just was to much effort. I've thought of purchasing a tire bead breaker from Harbor Freight, but as a trail rider I only change tires maybe once a year if that, so i take the easy route. As of yet I've not paid to have the beads broken. Hope this helps.

01boneless
08-10-2011, 10:27 AM
i had to cut mine off

tri5ron
08-10-2011, 05:48 PM
<object width="640" height="510"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Bha3go80Syg?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Bha3go80Syg?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="510" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

MtnEX
08-13-2011, 09:13 PM
LOL... that's the baldest ATV tire I have ever seen... LOL... and the singing hen was great also...

Go to tractor supply and buy their manual tire changer... $55... You can break the beads, then dismount the tires off the rims.

Total price is the cost of two tire changes at a tire shop.