PDA

View Full Version : PEP ZPS vs. Custom Axis

dquarton
08-09-2011, 09:25 AM
Does anyone have any thoughts on these shocks? I am doing a build with a choice of these two types of shocks in long travel, and I am wondering if one is significantly better than the other?? Thank You!

DnB_racing
08-09-2011, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by dquarton
Does anyone have any thoughts on these shocks? I am doing a build with a choice of these two types of shocks in long travel, and I am wondering if one is significantly better than the other?? Thank You! they are both great shocks, as long as they are setup for the arms an quad and weight,

if you've never used a zps type of shock, it does take a little to get used to...

like when you jump or wheelie you can feel the zps spring releasing, and feels a little different,

on my 450r i have pep zps, and the 450 front wheels are always in the air,at the end when the zps spring releases, it almost seams to bounce the front even higher at the end of the travel,its almost like it just drops out, kinda hard to explain how it feels at first, but i learned to love them

but i do really like the availability of the zps adjustment,and very plush

the axis are the same plush comfortable landing, but no end travel recoil when your on the springs ... but i would do either one as long as they are setup right, both have a smooth ride

Motofool250r
08-10-2011, 01:31 AM
zps,

im not sure if you know the concept behind the zps setup but ill give a brief explanation anyway. the idea is for the shocks to keep the a-arms parallel to the ground when the wheels are on the ground for best turning ability and lower center of gravity.

so when you hit a bump the suspension stretches out to normal hang position, to prepare for a large bump or jump. so keeps this in mind its a little different then a non-zps setup

i rode a 250r out fitted with the first TCS ZPS setup and i loved it rode like a dream. but any properly setup suspension should do a great job.

dquarton
08-10-2011, 09:22 AM
Thanks for the help guys. I had a 44oEX that had PEP ZPS front and rear and absolutley loved them. I have the Custom Axis on my bike now, and really like them, however I really liked how the ZPS handled the small choppy bumps as well as the big hits, so I think I am going to go that route.