PDA

View Full Version : I got a GoPro HD !! One, five mile lap around our XC track

Meat
08-08-2011, 10:07 PM
yo... check it out...
http://youtu.be/a9NNib0fILY

socal
08-09-2011, 08:13 AM
Nice video man!Looks like a fun ride spot.I got to get me one of those cams for my 250R rides and the mountain biking!!!

Fear250r
08-09-2011, 10:35 AM
Nice video bro. Take the the camo plastic off?

skippy1999
08-09-2011, 11:23 AM
awesome meat! you need to invite me down one day! im located near scranton. ill ride with ya!

Meat
08-09-2011, 07:04 PM
SoCal the helmet cams are a lot of fun, they're not cheap, but they're fun. Me and a buddy of mine have been sharing a standard def GoPro for the past 2 years and last weekend we both bought 1080 GoPro's.

Fear. I took three small rides with the camo plastics and took em off in fear of ruining them. I know, I'm crazy. I barely got em dusty. They're in storage for now.

Skip, anytime. We ride Wedensdays every weekend, when its not raining, from May till November. The XC track in the video is a private track, I couldn't take you there, but I'd love to show you around the Shamokin/Trevorton area sometime. Check out my other videos of the Shamokin /Trevorton area.

Im running super-bald rear tires in this video. I need new tires asap.

wilkin250r
08-10-2011, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by socal
Looks like a fun ride spot.

Oh, Lord. It looks terrible. I can already feel my quad loading up and getting pissy with me because there's no place to really rev out. In the woods section, I think I saw you get above 4k rpms like three times. It's just a personal thing, but it looks gawd awful.

On a lighter note, the video was really well done. You had a couple head turns, which is normal, but overall you kept your head really still and made an excellent video out of it. Most riders would probably ride like normal, turning their head all over the place, and you'd be seasick three minutes into the video.

It was well done, I'd just never take a 2-stroke there. Gimme a 400EX, I'd be all over it. But if I had my own quad, I'd probably just sit in camp and drink. :devil:

socal
08-10-2011, 10:52 AM
To me fun comes in all forms!Sure I would rather take the open desert or the dunes,MX tracks best for me,but I could have fun there.Its a technical challenge to go as fast as you can without wrapping yourself around a tree,and getting faster after each lap!!!:D

DnB_racing
08-10-2011, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
Oh, Lord. It looks terrible. I can already feel my quad loading up and getting pissy with me because there's no place to really rev out. In the woods section, I think I saw you get above 4k rpms like three times. It's just a personal thing, but it looks gawd awful.

On a lighter note, the video was really well done. You had a couple head turns, which is normal, but overall you kept your head really still and made an excellent video out of it. Most riders would probably ride like normal, turning their head all over the place, and you'd be seasick three minutes into the video.

It was well done, I'd just never take a 2-stroke there. Gimme a 400EX, I'd be all over it. But if I had my own quad, I'd probably just sit in camp and drink. :devil: your showing your age!!!
your just a spoiled west coast rider! LOL

riding dunes and desert,must be great, but us east coast riders do what we got to do...

I dont think I personally know anyone who hasn't kissed a tree or 2,

and the true beauty of the R is it can be set up for all out balls to the wall desert, or the tightest most technical woods around, I dont know any other quad that has that range of versatility!!

wilkin250r
08-10-2011, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by DnB_racing
your showing your age!!!
your just a spoiled west coast rider! LOL

And all of that might be true. :p

In reality, it's just the combination of the tight terrain and the two-stroke engine that looks horrible, and I didn't even mention the fact that there's no way my quad would fit in there. I'd be smacking into everything.

Even my own local trails I don't take my 250r. It's got SO much power, and is so high-strung, that it's exhausting to ride in any kind of terrain that could be remotely considered as "tight". I probably wouldn't even take it on the OPEN sections of that video. If I can't keep the average speed over 30mph, it gets angry and pouts by loading up and sputtering until I can get to a really open section and pin the throttle. But that's 80mph or better, and you can imagine in terrain like that, there aren't a whole lot of places I can hold 80mph for 10 or 15 seconds to let it clean out.

It's pretty much just a duner. I actually spend the majority of my seat time on my wife's 400EX.

wilkin250r
08-10-2011, 01:12 PM
And I'm just having a little fun. I still would never take my own quad there, but it really looks like a fun area on a something slow, like a 4-stroke :devil:

DnB_racing
08-10-2011, 01:16 PM
there's nothing like that adrenaline rush when you see that tree about to crush your ribs:huh

Meat
08-10-2011, 04:32 PM

It was well done, I'd just never take a 2-stroke there. Gimme a 400EX, I'd be all over it. But if I had my own quad, I'd probably just sit in camp and drink. :devil:

Oh yeah, have no doubt, this track is tight in a lot of places. It beats the hell out you and the quad.

About this particular video and the track. I shot this last Sunday, heavy rain the days before. My rear tires are in real bad shape, I'd say I have about 25% tread left, so I was spinning everywhere, up all the hills and sliding down the hills and braking sucked because of the wet trails and the bald tires. I can go a lot faster around the track with some fresh knobs spinning. Note in the video that my clutch side hand gaurd comes loose and I have to fight it the whole ride. It was jamming between my hand and the clutch lever. This is about my 40th lap around the track, there's still a lot of places that I don't have memorized yet. There's a whole 1/2 mile MX section too, I bypassed it in the video. The video is annotated so turn on your Youtube annotations. I run a trail tech speedo and it says my max rpm was 7840. A good portion of the track is 1st and second gear and you just gotta concentrate on weaving between the trees. Every time we go riding the track, one of us hits a tree. So far no damage from any of the hits yet. If you watch the video again and go to the 6:34 mark, you can see that I almost hit a big tree, going pretty fast, 30-35mph. Thats that adrenaline rush you get when you just miss a tree. My quad is 45 inches wide by the way, anyone with extended a-arms would not fit through a few places, and would be pretty scary at the rest of the tight places. Steve, the guy on the 450R. smokes me around the track, its his track, he made it and has been riding there since the 90's. He's an A-class XC racer and he can haul some ***. I follow him the best I can for the first 2 miles and then he goes into the MX section while I pass him there by bypassing the MX section. When I bypass him at the MX section, that's when and why I star looking back over my shoulder, because I know he's coming. I can make it back to the finish line now without him passing me. We have fun for a bunch of old guys, I just turned 39 last week.

HAYESTRX250R
08-11-2011, 05:31 AM
Subscribed and clicked Like.

My kind of riding!

That motor sounds healthy and crisp. The new HD is a certainly huge improvement in sound picture.

Meat
08-11-2011, 06:07 PM
Hayes, thanks for subscribing. I put out 2 or 3 ATV/250R related videos per week. Reply back with your YouTube name and I'll sub ya back. That goes for anyone reading this, sub to me and I'll sub to you, just post your YT user name.

"My kind of riding!" 75% of the riding/videoing we do is on an XC type terrain. These woods videos are shot in east-central Pennsylvania, the same area that produced XC Pro Champ Chris Borich and multi-time Women's champ Traci Cecco, also Chris Bithell, Matt Smiley and Jason Dunkelburger are all from the area.

"That motor sounds healthy and crisp." It runs pretty good, I have the jetting set a little rich for these 90 degree temps, when the air temps drop to the low 80s and the humidity lowers, she crisps right up. My Vapor computer says I have 23 hours and 212 miles on the motor since I put the speedo on around mid June. I'm prolly around 30hrs on the motor and maybe 300 miles total. Its an LRD power valve motor, the exhaust system is LRD too.

My rear tires are so bald its getting dangerous to ride with any kind of speed. Braking is the scary part, you just keep sliding. I was spinning the tires all day long, it sucked, its like riding with a slipping clutch. I hope to have a nice set of Razr2's on pretty soon.

HAYESTRX250R
08-11-2011, 06:55 PM
Just watch out for "tacky" dirt/mud with new Razr2's while tossing the rear end about on throttle, they tend to get a little too much traction at times. For me this resulted in the ATV equivalent of a MotoGP highside. It was the beginning of the end for my (back then) near perfect O.E plastic. I hit the ground and rolled over just in time to see my R landing on upside down on the right front and bars/stem. I ride some similar terrain Kentucky.

Meat
08-11-2011, 09:40 PM
Well there's no doubting that Kentucky and Pennsylvania have produced some of the fastest ATV racers ever.

I'm running 20 inch RazR2's now, I've had em on for over a year now, and I know exactly what you mean about how much they bite when they're new. Talking to XC racers, they all agree too, they're too aggressive when they're new, but once they wear in a little, they're a pretty cool tire. They're kinda heavy, but the lugs are so damn big compared to a standard RazR. In the year I've ran my RazR2's, I haven't had one single flat tire. I run 21 inch RazR2's up front. I would have liked to switched back to the standard Razr rear tires but I found a good deal on used set of Razr2's ;)

HondaPohl
08-11-2011, 10:08 PM
Nice vid! Ive ridden that stretch before and it is hell on a 2 stroke. I always carried extra plugs. Quad sounds good too!

Meat
08-11-2011, 11:17 PM
"Quad sounds good too!"

I think I'm about due to re-pack the silencer....
I got a "skeleton" door with the camera, its supposed to give you better sound quality, I haven't tried it out yet. You should only use in dry conditions and its been raining every damn day here in Pa.

How does the HD look ? My gawd-dam computer is so old it won't play HD video.

Here's my quad...
http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh165/bansheezone/Riding%202011/July/July17thatTonys1.jpg

88250RGuy
08-12-2011, 12:43 AM
what a beauty

jesshamner
08-12-2011, 07:45 AM
That is a great vid. I personally don't think there are enough woods videos. Most of the video from Huevos is MX freestyle and dunes. It's nice to see some of the woods stuff.

You should move the camera to the side of the helmet for 2 reason...

1) It gives you more of a perspective o the trail. There is a frame of reference from the side of the helmet and it is more in line with your eye sight instead of looking down from the top.

2) Its easier to wipe clean when it gets dirty because the reach isn't so far.

Here is an exampe from one of our rides. The camera got bumped a little so the angle is tilted a little.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixb37iKsVyw

methyman
08-12-2011, 04:40 PM
OMG that looks like so much fun. I love riding in the woods more than anything else. That is where the TRX250R shines so so much. I need to get up to PA and ride some trails up there. My family in NYC have camping spot up in PA. They go up every year. I subscribed and clicked like also. My name on You Tube is methyextreme. I post some drag videos up.

Later

Matthew

Meat
08-12-2011, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by jesshamner
That is a great vid. I personally don't think there are enough woods videos. Most of the video from Huevos is MX freestyle and dunes. It's nice to see some of the woods stuff.

You should move the camera to the side of the helmet for 2 reason...

1) It gives you more of a perspective o the trail. There is a frame of reference from the side of the helmet and it is more in line with your eye sight instead of looking down from the top.

2) Its easier to wipe clean when it gets dirty because the reach isn't so far.

Here is an exampe from one of our rides. The camera got bumped a little so the angle is tilted a little.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixb37iKsVyw

Thanks for the nice words, we're having fun out there. I watched your video and I like the side mount view. I plan on running all kinds of different views. How did you guys mount the GoPro on the side of the helmet ??

Meat
08-13-2011, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by methyman
OMG that looks like so much fun. I love riding in the woods more than anything else. That is where the TRX250R shines so so much. I need to get up to PA and ride some trails up there. My family in NYC have camping spot up in PA. They go up every year. I subscribed and clicked like also. My name on You Tube is methyextreme. I post some drag videos up.
Later
Matthew

It is a lot of fun. The track is pretty technical at some sections and it beats the hell out you for 15 minutes per lap. But its a lot of fun..... especially now that I'm starting to memorize sections of the track. Thanks for subscribing, me and my buddy post helmet cam and ATV related videos all the time. I subscribed back to ya.

jesshamner
08-13-2011, 01:35 AM
Originally posted by Meat
Thanks for the nice words, we're having fun out there. I watched your video and I like the side mount view. I plan on running all kinds of different views. How did you guys mount the GoPro on the side of the helmet ??

With an adhesive mount. Mount it low so that your goggle strap can rest where it is supposed to and the camera will be at eye level.

Then to site the camera in, put your buddy's quad in front of you at about the distance that you want to follow (even though he is leaving you behind right now) and then look at the grab bar. Have your buddy look through the viewfinder and try to put the back of the quad directly in the middle of the viewfinder. You should be good then!

mxduner
08-17-2011, 04:32 PM
great video meat. great ride and the place is absolutely beautiful. Some day i'd like to take 2 weeks to travel and ride the n.e.

Motofool250r
08-18-2011, 03:26 AM
And all of that might be true. :p

In reality, it's just the combination of the tight terrain and the two-stroke engine that looks horrible, and I didn't even mention the fact that there's no way my quad would fit in there. I'd be smacking into everything.

Even my own local trails I don't take my 250r. It's got SO much power, and is so high-strung, that it's exhausting to ride in any kind of terrain that could be remotely considered as "tight". I probably wouldn't even take it on the OPEN sections of that video. If I can't keep the average speed over 30mph, it gets angry and pouts by loading up and sputtering until I can get to a really open section and pin the throttle. But that's 80mph or better, and you can imagine in terrain like that, there aren't a whole lot of places I can hold 80mph for 10 or 15 seconds to let it clean out.

It's pretty much just a duner. I actually spend the majority of my seat time on my wife's 400EX.

last year i tried to run my 300cc bike that i have setup for dining in the dirt with brand new tires i could not hook up until 4th gear.. just too much power

i can't imagine running my puma in a tight section it would be like taking a 1500whp drag car to do to autocross

Meat
08-18-2011, 10:23 PM
Thanks guys. The motor is a 300 LRD power vavle motor. The seller I bought the motor from was parting out one of Bill Ballance's 250R's. I can't confirm that its one of Ballance's old engines till I do some work on it. It runs 100%. A lot of this track puts more emphasis on handling and suspension than on having a lot of HP. That's whats nice about the power valve in the woods. Electric-like, smooth power. My tires are spinning all the time in this video, I'm down to about 20% of the tread left.

I shot another, faster lap around the XC track yesterday, I'll have it uploaded on Friday or Saturday.

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh165/bansheezone/LRD%20300R/LRDHinson.jpg

jesshamner
08-18-2011, 10:26 PM
I can't wait to see it!