PDA

View Full Version : Stuck in first?

dheemstra
08-08-2011, 10:47 AM
I just put back together a buddy's motor and I rode it around and it wont shift out of first gear... Any clues?

dheemstra
08-08-2011, 11:25 AM
bump... ANYONE? would like to figure this out yet today.

DnB_racing
08-08-2011, 12:37 PM
could be a number of things, but you need to give more info, on if it even goes into neutral or if the lever move at all,

it could be any thing from removing the first cover on right side , to check the shift pawl, drum, linkage, or even open it up for missing thrust washer, bent fork , or put together wrong

but your going to have to take it apart to check, just start with the right cover and try shifting and see whats happening

next time always check shifting before you assemble completely, this way it takes the guess work out, also check how everything moves as your assembling ... keep checking every moving part to make sure nothing binds or sticks

dheemstra
08-08-2011, 12:51 PM
Ok... Everything seemed to be working great inside the case. He cracked the case after not running a case saver. It was welded and the shifter shaft was straitened. It was shifting while not running but is now stuck. When I rode it, it would run in first and when I went to shift it would grind. But the clutch is adjusted correctly...

DnB_racing
08-08-2011, 01:05 PM
ooooowww not good!!

Im afraid to say, but your going to have to split the cases again, could be a bent sifting fork shaft,or a guide pin, or a thust washer not in the right place...

your sure of the clutch aqdjustment?

dheemstra
08-08-2011, 01:09 PM
Well when u take off in first the clutch works fine so I'm pretty sure that's not the problem...

DnB_racing
08-08-2011, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by dheemstra
Well when u take off in first the clutch works fine so I'm pretty sure that's not the problem... ya, I figured you were going to say that... sorry but it doesnt sound to good, check the right side first just to make sure its all good, but I think your splitting it again

dheemstra
08-08-2011, 04:14 PM
First of all thanks for all of your help. And i checked out the right side and i found that i actually sheared the key on the counter balancer. Whats the chance that this was part of my problem?

DnB_racing
08-08-2011, 05:28 PM
thats definatly not good , but i dont think that would make the gears stick,unless the broken key stuck someplace

dheemstra
08-08-2011, 05:41 PM
But with that key broke that shaft will just spin on the gear and not turn the clutch basket correct?

dheemstra
08-08-2011, 05:48 PM
Because after I took the clutch and basket out shifting became very easy.

DnB_racing
08-09-2011, 05:58 AM
But with that key broke that shaft will just spin on the gear and not turn the clutch basket correct? ... i got to think about that!!!!

lets talk about this, the main crank shaft gear turns the counter shaft gear, doesnt it?

and along with, that the main shaft, turns the counter balancer, and the counter balancer will turn oil and water pump.. in other words the main is in the middle, turning both,

i after thinking about it, i cant think of how the counter balancer, would stop it from shifting... but please look at it and let me know if im missing something

dheemstra
08-09-2011, 07:09 PM
I split the case and checked out the transmission and everything seems to be right so i put it back together. Then assembled the shifter linkage and started spinning the mainshaft by hand. It spins in 1st but the shifter wont hit that stopping point and when u shift to second it only spins a little then locks up. What the @#*! could this be???

DnB_racing
08-09-2011, 08:32 PM
sounds like something is bent, possible a fork or fork shaft

are you sure you have the right forks in all the right places

dheemstra
08-10-2011, 09:15 PM
thought i had it fixed so i dropped it back in the quad and tried to ride it. Same freakin thing! I promise everything is strait and in the right place...

DnB_racing
08-11-2011, 01:56 AM
thought i had it fixed so i dropped it back in the quad and tried to ride it. Same freakin thing! I promise everything is strait and in the right place... is there a chance the case was tweeked a little when welded?

dheemstra
08-11-2011, 02:05 AM
Ya I guess that could be a slight possibilty...

DnB_racing
08-11-2011, 02:22 AM
it wont take much of an alignment issue to bind, if there is a way to tell were the gears are binding , you might be able to either add or remove a extra trust washer to align it but it will take a few tries, and still might not work for long

dheemstra
08-11-2011, 11:36 AM
But then y would it grind and stick in first... It grinds when you try to shift in to second...

DnB_racing
08-11-2011, 12:27 PM
But then y would it grind and stick in first... It grinds when you try to shift in to second... i know how I want to say it, but im not sure if it will make sense LOL

but Ill try, if one of the gear shafts is causing one of the gears to be further over then it should be, for instance your first gear just misses disengaging by a little bit, your actually still in first and your fork is trying to go to second, your trying to be in both gears.. if that makes any sense....

im a better at fixing then explaining... lol

dheemstra
08-11-2011, 10:15 PM
Whats the fix?

DnB_racing
08-11-2011, 10:24 PM
Whats the fix? first you have to find which way and which shaft needs to have a thrust washer added.

or you might have to remove a little material from the cover to allow it to shift over enough to completely come out of first gear, but first check all the bearings real good and make sure the shafts insert properly...

i would guess the welded side is the problem, your going to have to spec out every part and find the problem ...its not going to be easy

but one consolation when your done you will be able to do it with your eyes closed, cause it might take a couple tries to get it right so all gears will line up exactly as needed...

im sorry i can't tell you exactly which way and how much, but you might see some marks on the gear to give you an idea how much is catching

like I said its going to be tough, just be patient and double check every measurement, to factory spec and use a true flat surface to check shafts...

I know im not much help, its hard not actually seeing and taking the measurements, sorry:(

one thing that might help is have a friend spinning your crank with motor out and head, cylinder and piston off, in other words use you own power to turn the bottom end of motor over while you try to shift so you dont have to keep taking it in and out till you get it