PDA

View Full Version : quick question

01boneless
08-07-2011, 04:19 PM
hey guys right now i have a 400ex and love it to death but after christmas i want to get a 450 just cause i need a bigger quad. now i voted out the yfz cause oiling problems ,ltr is to costly,and i hate kawi so i like hondas and the 450r but only thing that strays me away from the 450r is iv heard a few people say when there rode a while and you shut them off there hare to get started back while hot? is this true and will getting a er with elec start solve the prob?

blacknblue#2
08-07-2011, 06:14 PM
Buying an ER does not solve the hard starting problem. To me an ER is out of the question if you plan on doing much modding. I have owned almost every year 450R, one of them being an ER in 06 and never again will i own an electric start one. After a piston and a cam and dual rate valve springs the starter couldnt turn it fast enough to get it fired. I know i could have went with a 24V system but i am an MX guy so i didnt want the added weight. As far as a 450R being hard starting i think its due to ppls lack of knowledge about an engine which is understandable. The main things to focus on when wanting an engine to start easy is jetting and valves. If you keep those two things where they are suppose to be that motor will start easy every time.

blacknblue#2
08-07-2011, 06:20 PM
and also man dont count the YFZ out fully, year they had oiling problems but when i raced i raced a YFZ often as a backup when my hondas were down and i loved it. I just had too much access to honda parts for a good price to make the switch

99_300ex
08-07-2011, 07:03 PM
I have an 05 with the mods in my sig and rode for about 4 hours today in the 90 degree weather with the occasional stop and every time she starts right up first kick.

01boneless
08-07-2011, 07:21 PM
thanks guys its between the yfz and 450r but i dont know? i know this is the wrong place to ask but what year yfz had oiling problems just the 04?

blacknblue#2
08-08-2011, 08:00 AM
I believe it ran up into 05 too but i could be wrong. Its not a hard fix if your comfortable with splitting the cases. Its been a long time since i was around some of the first YFZs but i believe most big name shops would do the drilling cheap and put a nozzle in your case. We had an 04 YFZ in our group, he had a WR crank with a 480 big bore and never done the oil mod and never had any troubles. We built that motor in 06 and it was sold in 09 but last i heard it was still running strong

Kovatch
08-08-2011, 08:42 AM
04-05 YFZs had the oil issues. They were also a 439cc engine. You can put the WR crank in it to get the 449 cc engine or buy an 06+ and you have the 449.

YFZ or TRX...? It would come down to your personal preference. Check out how each feel when you are on them. Do you like the seat, leg/arm ergonomics? We have a split number of guys on Hondas and YFZs. They are both nice. Hondas can make some solid hp if it is built. I feel more comfortable on the YFZR b/c of the seat which is one of the reason why I chose Yami over Honda.

When you are looking to buy, find the better deal with a the least amount of issues (obviously). Get a good LT set-up and you won't be upset either way.

represent618
08-10-2011, 07:23 AM
My 07 450ER has never ever failed to start. (besides a battery failure when a couple days old) Stock engine however.

I could definitely see how the starter would have trouble turning over a modded high compression engine though.

I personally don't like how long/slow it turns over especially on dead start XC races, but it is what it is unless I decide to go 24v or add a kicker kit I suppose.

I am overall very happy with it so far, bought it new in 08, never had a mechanical/engine failure to date.

DnB_racing
08-10-2011, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by represent618
My 07 450ER has never ever failed to start. (besides a battery failure when a couple days old) Stock engine however.

I could definitely see how the starter would have trouble turning over a modded high compression engine though.

I personally don't like how long/slow it turns over especially on dead start XC races, but it is what it is unless I decide to go 24v or add a kicker kit I suppose.

I am overall very happy with it so far, bought it new in 08, never had a mechanical/engine failure to date. bump up your starting compression, the stater and stock battery will handle at least 62 psi, and it will start much faster

any higher compression then around 65 you would want the 24 volt start,

but the higher starting compression the quicker the start,

i have mine set at 69-70 with 2 batteries, and i can just put it in 2nd gear and push the button and go, without the clutch..

but dead starts while in gear like this will wear your starter brushes faster, but the brushes can be replaced in about 1/2 an hour, ive had to do it once so far,

if you mod the engine, with high compression it has no effect on the starting compression ,as long as the decompression is set right,dont set by the book set it by using a compression tester, but heavy valve springs will put a bigger load on the starter

but anyone that owns a 08, i recomend putting the 06/07 cam holder and cam and decompression mechanism to allow better adjust ability to the starting compression

mx Eli
08-10-2011, 07:00 PM
If you use the hot start its not a problem starting. and im 140 pounds