PDA

View Full Version : staying in high gear

Christiansdad
08-07-2011, 12:28 PM
from a dead stop to start it has no power until it starts to roll out a little ways:.it's almost like it staying in top gear...the clutch engagement is set a 6200 or so...i threw the tach on it and it dropped to 5000..it put new orange springs in it with 2 bars hitting at 6500 and it did great for a few mins but started to act up again.

chunky0071
08-08-2011, 07:41 AM
try a new torque spring.

FISH ON!
08-08-2011, 10:17 AM
When you start scratching your head and can't seem to figure out the problem, try two things before your start rejetting and digging deeper in the motor.........

1. Refresh the CVT components (torque spring, rollers, shoe springs, belt) They may not all need replacing but if they are close to being due for a change, change them anyway. The torque spring being the biggest culprit.

2. Perform a leak check. Air leaks can cause lots of strange problems. There are plenty of posts on here about leak check devices and how to do it. You can also bring it by my place and I'll do it for you.

Christiansdad
08-13-2011, 10:45 PM
tryed a new torque spring and clutch springs.still the same..the clutch springs was at the same settings were I left them and they lost 1200 rpm..so I put orange springs in with 2 bars up from the lowest setting...engages about 6200..that's almost were the white springs were set at..the only thing I haven't done was the rollers and belt..i did clean the roller and checked the weight..no flat spot's and 3.0 average on all 6...if it sounds like those two things I guess I can try..i also checked the compression and it was about 90psi...i looked at the piston when I changed the pipes out the other day and didn't see any black or shiny spot's below the ring...not saying it couldn't maybe use a one but it has to good of power when its moving...i would say 6 or 8 mph it sings to ya

Todd I would like to bring it over if you had some free time.

redonkulousruntsracing
08-23-2011, 07:30 PM
Are you sure about the 90 psi compression? Should have between 135 to 160.

Christiansdad
08-24-2011, 09:09 AM
If i did the test right. I kicked it about 8 times, the 5 and 6th kick it didnt move anymore.The tester is from the advanced auto parts store. It was 30 bucks. We put to of the same type of topends on two different motors and got the same reading on both maybe 2-4 psi off. I have went to some really lighter roller weights and seen a big difference. From 3.0s which was like 196 total. i stagered a bunch of different rollers(same everything) was like the rollers being between 2.3 it revs up so much you hear all the motor so i am going to change the rollers to atleast 2.5's

selbygirl
08-24-2011, 08:57 PM
do you have the over range set up... a few weeks ago seen similer problem the spring they where using was smaller and was making it stick... is your varirator moving freely . almost every moto i clean ours with just a rag the brass part and the shaft if it gets dirty it seems to stick in high gear.. your compresion does seem low

Christiansdad
08-25-2011, 01:45 PM
We dont have a overrange..well i was thinking about buying one if its really worth the money compared to performance. When i pop the cvt cover off, i spray everything down(carb cleaner), wipe and blow out with air. I grease the cvt cover were the little bearings in the back that the shaft rides on and the kickstart. EVERYTHING else is taken off and apart, sprayed down. And slap it all together after that. I am gona gona go back to the heavier torque spring or try that new brand g-force has out.

selbygirl
08-25-2011, 03:13 PM
take the variator and put it in your hand with the rollers in it and the back part that has the 3 little plastic pieces and the shaft and see if every thing moves freely . somtimes those little plastic things will hang up and wont let it slide . i usely take a knife and scrape the edges .and on the part of the variator where the plastic things ride on i clean with sand paper just a little bit... plus do you have a slipper sprocket on it and if you do have you been thigten it . and make sure both disc are still on it .. i dont no if this matters or not but i had one of our bikes act funny and it was the water pump the 3 little rubber things came off i see your in sc how far are you from the ocean we are in delaware 5 miles from the ocean .oc maryland is making every one leave as of midnight to night.. they just packed all the forign students that work here on busses to baltimore there saying we may get a kat 3 or evan a 4 take care tommy and be safe