PDA

View Full Version : Clymer's manual misprint

Braff1
02-23-2003, 07:46 AM
Well 2 months later my weekend project has about come to a close. I finally got my Hot Cams stage 1 installed. As I followed the instructions of my Clymers manual the only task left was to torque the valve cover back on. The manual says to torque these 6 mm bolt to 18 ft lbs. I thought this was rather much but hey thats what the book says to torque them at. Well after breaking one of the bolts (luckily about 1/2" sticking out of the head), I thought this isn't right. I resorted back to a torque spec sheet I down loaded from Exriders.com when I first signed on to this site. Sure enough it list the valve cover torque as being 18 ft lbs but there is a little addendum below it where someone corrected it to the proper torque setting of 8 ft lbs, big difference.

So I would like to thank Exriders.com from saving me from creating another delay in my weekend project. I sure beat stripping out the bolts of breaking another bolt.

If I can get a decent day of weather around here I will break in the cam and finally complete this project.

Dan

muff
02-23-2003, 07:49 AM
wow thats great that you saved yourself some problems, let us know how you like the cam once you get it broken in and everything

toby400ex
02-23-2003, 01:42 PM
clymer seems to have alot of stuff wrong, like the axle locknut, they say to turn it the wrong way, and that usually takes me about an hour eachtime to get right.:scary: