PDA

View Full Version : what motor should i run for mx. 250 or ??

florentino
08-06-2011, 05:25 PM
hi guys i am new to the 250r world. i need help. i have a lots of 450s but i just whant to race this one at the mx races.

i do whant to keep the 2 stroke motor.

how much money will a fast motor cost and who makes them.

i live in california so who should i call?

heres a pic. not sure if i should dump a ton of money or sell it.

is this bike worth it. it has some goods like the exaust, old school works shocks, 50 inches wide. the exaust is paul tuner.

i race a ds 450 mx model. can this things keep up with the new races bikes. or should i just let it go.

sand_blaster
08-06-2011, 05:50 PM
ESR is in your state. I think a 330-350 powervalved bigbore will keep up or beat most 450's on the track.

wild250rman
08-06-2011, 08:10 PM
#1 get the suspension set up for you. then learn how to ride the 2 stroke it is a different creature than a 450 and see if you really like it before you invest a bunch of money into it. the paul turner exhaust is good and works well with some other tuners porting or just stick with paul turner porting and duncan racing's other products. do a leak down test a compression test and get it tuned good and you will be surprised what it will do.

Honda 250r 001
08-06-2011, 08:42 PM
Thats a pretty slick looking ol 250!

Yea its worth it to put some money into it, you do need to get use to it before you decide if you like the feel of a 250r or not.

If your looking to throw those 450's around like chew toys id go for a 350! But you should still be able to hang with most 450's with a 310 or even a stock ported cylinder on race fuel.

Suspension is key for motocross, suspension, THEN motor...

What class do you race in?

BTW: More pics man! :D

RyanWsly
08-06-2011, 10:18 PM
I personally do not have much knowledge on MX, but I know a couple of guys that used to run them back in the day, one was a high level national guy. first off, get the suspension done, if you don't you are wasting your time. A few things that have already been said I am going to repeat just from my personal experience. Suspension has made the biggest leaps overall since the 90's even. Anyone who plans on racing one HAS to get the suspension updated/setup so you are on a fairly level playing field. After getting mine done with 450R front conversions and I upgraded to a no-link, mine is 90% of my 450R suspension just guessing, which is Axis long travel and a stock conversion rear. Suspension is the one thing that will hold it back the most. Find a suspension builder and work with him, spend the money if you want it right. My 250R always wore me out compared to my 450R, once the suspension went from all works to my current setup, and setup for me that problem is gone. second thing that was said was learn how to ride it, that can't be stressed enough. If you are used to torquing out of corners and not using the clutch you will wear yourself out and you will hate the thing because it won't make any power. On a 2 cycle engine you must use the clutch to make power, especially one without a power valve like the stock cylinder. All that being said, one of the guys I know ran a spacer plate setup and swears by them, ran some after the 450's came out and said he could still get the hole shot with that engine. Spacer plate engines basically have a bigger/salvage bore & were also made when displacement rules changed back years ago. so that helps, but something about the low end volume changes and some say that helps them, someone else may know more. The other guy won A nationally back in the early 90's, he swears by CT and says that Alan is the man with a motocross setup for a 250R engine. Told me he blew his top end at a national once, it was a CT ported cylinder Alan built it a new top end on the spot for him, tuned it and everything before the next moto, he said it was the best running engine he ever owned. The first guy ran a 38mm PJ I believe, and the second guy ran a 36mm PJ that was bored to a 37.something as far a carbs go. The first guy mentioned also ran GNCC back then so they are both really good guys to talk to, it's amazing what those guys knew/know, little tricks here and there. If you can find someone who used to race one heavily and talk to them for a while I'm sure it will be very helpful. most of those guys knew their machines inside and out and upgraded things themselves, they weren't big buyers or it wasn't available so they made it or altered it. One big thing one of them told me was altering the clutch actuator lever on the side of the engine, makes a huge difference on clutch pull, cuts it in about half. good luck on getting it in shape.

florentino
08-06-2011, 10:23 PM
heres a vid 3 years ago. i rode it just that day. then i sold it. and now i go it back. i took out the head and the piston. to see it i have some performance parts. you guys may know better then me.

http://youtu.be/KwST69hoOQY

and yea a race cmc races in north california. hollister,chico,dixon, livermore, san jose and more. theres a new series call sccs they are once a month and they are fun. they are one hour races. and i have race just about all the 450s.

the yfz 450 was a money pit. back in 2005,
had a stock trx 450 i should it keep that one.
then 2008 ds 450 can am. broke the frame 3 times in a year,
then a stock ltr, really good stock quad,
and then the kfx was the worse quad i ever rode.
i now have 2 can ams and one has the mx set up and wow its the best ever. the trx thing whould be more fun then anything. and its a classic.

HondaPohl
08-07-2011, 07:18 AM
Thats a really nice R. I would def hold on to it wether you race it or not. Looks like fun Honda.

Motofool250r
08-07-2011, 07:32 AM
your going to need
anti vibe stem, probably a set of fast bars to keep the vibes n arm pump down compared to the 4 stroke.

you will want a bigger motor if your used to 4 strokes i dont know what the class limitations are nowadays so cant help you with that.

suspension is key your gonna drop couple grand here.

wider is better, turns faster get proper mx tires.

cr250 ignition would be a good help, a air stryker carb is what most mx guys ran. a good set of reeds as you'll be on/off the throttle alot vforce 3 or esr are top notch

porting is where the big difference on the motor comes many can build the motor these days just depends on who you want to work with.

HAYESTRX250R
08-07-2011, 07:39 AM
I think you are pretty close with what you have now. Unless you are running some A class guys I doubt you need anything more than a 310 non pv and suspension set up.

strnge
08-24-2011, 12:53 AM
We should go for a ride some time, I have not taken my stock 88 250r out much this year.

Burns310r
08-24-2011, 06:10 AM
Contact Carlos at BDT. Hes there in california. I had him build me a 350 non powervalve motor in the last couple of weeks here and its a real ripper.

The great thing about carlos is that he keeps very good contact. He text me after the races to see how the engine ran, and is cutting me a more aggressive dome for the next race.

I have been very pleased with the results at BDT.

florentino
08-24-2011, 07:49 AM
guys thanks for all your help.

i am going to sell the bike. so if anyone wants to buy it let me know.

i have 4 quads one yamaha yfz450 2 ds 450 can ams and the trx.

something came up and i have to sell the bike.

strnge
08-24-2011, 11:22 AM
You should list your price.

florentino
08-24-2011, 10:38 PM
$1500 dollars firm.

chronicsmoke
08-25-2011, 07:14 AM
Originally posted by florentino
$1500 dollars firm.

Damn, Wish I was out your way