PDA

View Full Version : Slip-on performance & Sound?

05DodgeDakota
08-06-2011, 05:59 AM
Curious what think the sound and performance difference would be between the following low cost options (from least expensive to most):
1) stock, no endcap/spark arrestor
2) stock, modified end cap
3) stock w/ aftermarket endcap (see link)
4) stock 450r pipe
5) stock 450r pipe w/ HRC endcap
6) cheap, used slip on (HMF?)

The reason I ask is I'm about to replace the stock piston with a 10:1 .5mm over wiseco piston. I also use a K&N with no Lid.

Honda.rider5871
08-06-2011, 01:12 PM
Removing the spark arrestor in the stock pipe sounds terrible and you wont gain any power . Ive never tried it but you will probally gain a little power with the 450r pipe and you will keep it quiet . The best option is to get a good used slip on , and dremel the header welds out . This set up will give you the most power increase , and will have a good sound depending on which slip on you get . I have a used Big gun slip on i would sell if your intereted pm me

bergoff
08-06-2011, 01:22 PM
I'm also on a budget and just bought a lexx slip on off of ebay for $166 shipped. It will be here in Tuesday. The end cap swap sounds like crap. Just save your money and get a decent slip on.

05DodgeDakota
08-06-2011, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by Honda.rider5871
Removing the spark arrestor in the stock pipe sounds terrible and you wont gain any power . Ive never tried it but you will probally gain a little power with the 450r pipe and you will keep it quiet . The best option is to get a good used slip on , and dremel the header welds out . This set up will give you the most power increase , and will have a good sound depending on which slip on you get . I have a used Big gun slip on i would sell if your intereted pm me

hey btw got any pics of your 08 400? Sounds like a nice ride from your sig and I haven't seen any real modified 08+ 400exs

and how much for it?

finsteratv
08-06-2011, 02:36 PM
the 06+ stock 450r exhausts flow the best due to there internal design and are muh like an aftermarket exhaust. i bought one with an HRC tip but then found a full BigGun system for 75 so used that instead :macho lemma know if you want the 450r pipe we can make a deal

05DodgeDakota
08-06-2011, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by finsteratv
the 06+ stock 450r exhausts flow the best due to there internal design and are muh like an aftermarket exhaust. i bought one with an HRC tip but then found a full BigGun system for 75 so used that instead :macho lemma know if you want the 450r pipe we can make a deal
are the mounts the same? How much you want shipped to 33859

MasterGun
08-06-2011, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by bergoff
I'm also on a budget and just bought a lexx slip on off of ebay for $166 shipped. It will be here in Tuesday. The end cap swap sounds like crap. Just save your money and get a decent slip on.

I bought a lexx slip on from rocky mountain atv and couldnt be happier, best exhaust i ever bought. I say if your on a budget buy a lexx slip on and run the 46mm race tip

finsteratv
08-06-2011, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by 05DodgeDakota
are the mounts the same? How much you want shipped to 33859
nope the rear mount is a little farther out so you need to build a bracket, i'd be more then happy to build one fo you and include it

Honda.rider5871
08-07-2011, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by 05DodgeDakota
hey btw got any pics of your 08 400? Sounds like a nice ride from your sig and I haven't seen any real modified 08+ 400exs

and how much for it?
Pm 'ed ya