PDA

View Full Version : 400ex won't start

tuffass72
08-06-2011, 01:02 AM
one day riding out at the track my bike started just fine then i turned it off turned it back on and it just wouldn't start when i pushed the button so we push started it and it ran just fine and started very easily when i push start it. so i replaced the whole start and lighting button thought that was the problem but nope nothing still checked the fuses they are fine checked the battery it's fine i dont know what to do now any one have an idea what it could be?

DnB_racing
08-06-2011, 07:51 AM
could be valves,did it do anything when you pushed button.
in other words just kept turning over?

but if it did nothing(not turning over) check your electric system

but give more info on the symptoms, any work done to harness?if it turns over is there spark?

from your description its hard to tell what exactly is happening, give any and every detail you can for the best possible answer

howie14
08-06-2011, 10:02 AM
i had the same problem once mine was a loose wire in the plug on the frame under the handlebars if i rember right it was the black wire that comes out of the switch the contacts on the plugs werent making connection i just pushed it in with a small screwdriver

HondaPohl
08-06-2011, 11:07 AM
Check your starter relay. Contacts could be corroded. Check solenoid as well.

tuffass72
08-06-2011, 12:08 PM
it doesnt turn over at all and never done anything to the harness i'll check out the relay and solenoid hope thats what it is. could the clutch switch go bad possibly too?

bergoff
08-06-2011, 01:27 PM
Its possible it could be the switch also check your grounds are loose or dirty.

DnB_racing
08-06-2011, 02:07 PM
it could just be a bad connector check the one with red line pointing to it, make sure its pluged in and clean of any burn marks, and dirt

finsteratv
08-06-2011, 03:03 PM
DnB you are the wiring guru when it comes to diagrams haha..but i would check for dirty connections,shorted wires,unplugged wires etc. when i have a problem like this i generally go through near the whole thing usuing the "guess and check" method to trouble shoot and clean it all up at the same time.

DnB_racing
08-06-2011, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by finsteratv
DnB you are the wiring guru when it comes to diagrams haha..but i would check for dirty connections,shorted wires,unplugged wires etc. when i have a problem like this i generally go through near the whole thing usuing the "guess and check" method to trouble shoot and clean it all up at the same time. lol!! if you become familiar with multimeter's, and the basic schematics they are simple.

your just sore about the roost LOL

take a few minutes to study the schematic and separate the ignition from auxiliary(lites and leds).and you will See there really isn't much to them,

finster i can tell(your no fool) if you put your mind to it you would be able to trouble shoot them with ease.it would make evey other wiring issue very understandable, and make on the fly fixes possible if out in the woods.......the fun ones are the LTR'S with Fi and error codes and pc 5"s.

Honda makes the easiest system to fix ... I build a lot of harness for all types of quads and bikes and boats and race cars,ive even built harness for a nuc plant,,, that was interesting

once your able to follow a schematic is real easy

tuffass, when you pull start it do your lights work?
if not its definitely the connector I pointed out,

also when you put the key on does the neutral light work? if all the light work properly then it narrows it down to clutch switch or solenoid,

finsteratv
08-06-2011, 06:00 PM
only place ive used a multimeter was to check my coil, solenoid and on a battery shootout rechargable vs alkaline science project i whooped people with :p